Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2019, 12:53 PM   #1

K-1 camera holsters

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have a K-1 and a K-200 and my shooting is on the water and for action mostly. I 'm paranoid of dropping my cameras in the ocean. What do you think of this: Opteka MCH-25 Multi Camera Carrier Harness Holster System

09-17-2019, 01:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
To me it looks awfully bulky. But if it holds the cameras securely and it's what you want it will work. Having never seen one it's hard to tell what the connectors look like in the photos. If you can find one to try on and examine it you'll be ahead.
09-17-2019, 02:17 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Not knowing what lenses are involved, but as Tom says , it does look a little bulky. Being on water, I would wonder if it interfered with any lifevest you may be wearing?? I've used a duel sling before and found it good to get around with the cameras more down on my side, but thats a personal preference . My old sling was a Black Rapid one, not sure what out there now, but I had one sling attached to the camera body K-7 with a 50-135 on it, and the other sling attached to the Lens (Sigma 300/2.8) with my K-5 hanging on the back.
09-17-2019, 06:40 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
...Being on water, I would wonder if it interfered with any lifevest you may be wearing?...
I was going to ask a similar question. Even if you aren't doing something that calls for a lifevest, let's say photographing from shore along the beach edge, how do those attached cameras interfere with your ability to swim if a wave surprises you or you trip? Can you quickly get out of the camera harness in the water?

09-18-2019, 10:53 AM   #5

Original Poster
Most of my work is done with the K-1 and the 28-105 lens which is perfect for that. I keep the K-200 w/100-300 close by for long shots for just in case but switching quickly is a pain and would miss some. I've given up trying to do this on a Whaler or inflatable as are too bumpy at times and worry about damaging my equipment because of it hence my question/thoughts. Lately, I've been out on a 22 Pursuit with a hardtop, the yacht club's committee boat that takes about 6 so not a small boat and you can hang on or sit down. I'm a high-level racing sailor but at 62 and some health issues so I'm back out there just shooting when you can't sail full-on with a "real" camera. I understand about the life vest and is close by but if it's that wet and snotty for shooting I'm done for the day anyway. It's about the quality of that unit and found this too:https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01GL6WZA4/ref=dra_a_ms_ss_ho_xx_P1200_1000?tag=dra...6ad8167ffb4_CT. I think that's the one for my needs and thank you for your input.