Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2019, 03:55 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I leave it on. When you are shooting, if your horizon indicator is near the center, the image will be corrected. If you intentionally go off angle by more than a few degrees, the camera decides you meant to do that and doesn't correct it.

10-04-2019, 04:10 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
if the shake reduction system is doing both shake reduction and also tilting the sensor, does that affect the SR negatively in any way?
I guess tilting the sensor will reduce the maneuverability for SR a little, but I don't think this is a big issue unless there is some serious trembling going on in your hand.
10-04-2019, 04:49 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've never used it, but will give it a try. I want to see if the keeps the correction when processed in Lightroom.
10-04-2019, 06:38 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
I've never used it, but will give it a try. I want to see if the keeps the correction when processed in Lightroom.
Check back with the result.

Steve

10-04-2019, 06:50 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
It will definitely keep the correction because it physically rotates the sensor rather than digitally rotating the data. In that regard it has a sharpness advantage over rotating the image in post.
10-04-2019, 07:07 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Perhaps it is something I should investigate. Returning from a recent trip, I noticed almost all of my portrait oriented photos has a distinct tilt of about about 2 degrees and all in the same direction. Landscape orientation all seemed OK
10-04-2019, 07:24 PM   #22
Veteran Member

It uses SR to rotate the sensor. Damn. I thought it would correct when saving the image and there would be a crop.

I guess I better turn it on!

Thanks for the info!

10-05-2019, 05:45 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
If you have to use both hands to hold tight while lying on the floor, how do you manage to take photographs as well? I'm confused...
Practice Sir, practice!
10-05-2019, 08:10 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have rather small hands. In film photography times, I was often disappointed, when my slides came back from processing, because some of the horizons were "off". The delay between shooting and receiving the photos didn't help, and nor did some of the larger camera bodies back in the 1970s. I changed makes a couple of times before trying and buying my first Pentax, a Spotmatic II. The smaller body, improved upon with the MX, finally resolved the issue almost completely.

When I went digital with cameras and found that both a level indicator and horizon correction were available, I used both from the start - the indicator set to show in the viewfinder and the correction turned on. "Cockeyed horizons" have not been an issue for me. The effort it took to eradicate the error from my slides is the main reason I cannot "like" any photo displaying the error.