Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
11-10-2019, 02:42 AM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The arguments against Pentax AF here on the site have been propagated by people who spent a lot more money on other systems.
I've never seen a post by a person shooting with the DA 55-300 PM or DFA* 70-200 complaining about AF.
I've never seen a person with more expensive gear from another brand who hadn't tried a K-3 or later and one of those lenses, who felt Pentax AF was adequate.

I may have missed some threads and posts, but that's my impression. People buy gear not suited to their work. They blame Pentax.
To be fair, the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Yes, people think Pentax af is not that good because they are using Pentax cameras in situations where the af doesn't shine because it wasn't designed to deal with specific situations.

Yes, there are better cameras in terms of af tracking. As long as people learn to deal with this or as long as they are willing to pay for the improved af, they will probably be happy with the gear they use. The unhappy people are the ones trying to convince the others with test charts or with some random images that Pentax af is as good as competition in certain situations like sport or BIF. The reality is that no matter the lens used in any Pentax camera, in terms of tracking the af it's not at competition's level. And it's ok because:
- this doesn't mean that you can't take BIF or sport images with Pentax
- Ricoh never advertised Pentax as action or sport cameras, but they advertise it as field cameras which means that Pentax cameras has adequate af for general shooting situations.

Each people's job is to buy the camera and lenses suited to his needs/style. It's no one's fault they don't test or research enough informations regarding the gear they buy and then complain about this and that all over the internet. I also blamed Pentax when I was shooting with K-5 II and K-3 II and I realized once I start playing with lots of cameras and lenses from different manufacturers that I'm the one to blame, not Pentax/Ricoh. I invested in Pentax system because it was cheap compared to competition without looking on advantages and disatvantages based on my needs. Back then I was attracted to portraits and events using flashes on stands triggered by radio triggers. Then I started to go out at BIF shootings. At that time Pentax didn't had:
- a modern tele lens like 150-450mm or a modern 50mm f1.4 and there weren't on the roadmap either (neither K1)
- a flash system (all the others shooting with Canon or Nikon had lots of options to trigger flashes and I had to improvise over and over again);
- no support from the dealer, from third party lenses, for shooting tethered, etc.

Now Pentax has a decent system with modern lenses that can cover lots of situations, with Godox supporting the ones using strobes, with a full frame camera... I will miss some features or lenses from Canon, but if I would have to shoot with Pentax now, I have options in terms of lenses and flashes and I would be ok most of the time.

My reccomandation to everyone is to do a good research and also try to test gear before investing in a system. The cheapest system like Pentax may not be the best for you if you are mostly interested in sport, BIF or action. At the same time, the most expensive systems like Canon won't be the best option for the ones shooting landscapes for example.

11-10-2019, 04:22 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The arguments against Pentax AF here on the site have been propagated by people who spent a lot more money on other systems.
The problem with autofocus tracking, is the type of leading edge tech that's needed to track correctly, everything less than leading edge will struggle on tracking and while being good enough for any other type of photography.
There are maybe 5 camera models that are deisgned for good tracking, the 1Dx, 7DII, D4, D500, A9, everything else is more or less mediocre at AF tracking.

People buy gear not suited to their work. They blame Pentax.
That's clear that if someone buy a K1 for shooting sport, it's never been designed and advertised for shooting sports.
11-10-2019, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

^^^ I love Pentax Forums!
12-07-2019, 09:34 PM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

Easier to blame the equipment than yourself.

If I have to haul a bunch of stuff, best to buy a small Corolla to haul it instead of a truck. It is not my fault, I bought a Corolla instead of a truck, its the Corolla's fault.

Same with cameras. Buy for what you need.

I bought a camera that could do what I am most interested in. Yes I am interested in other fields, and there might be a camera that would be better for that field, but for my primary purpose, it works.

The AF works. I have shot Airshows and I have been happy with the images. I am sure if I had a D5 or a 1Dx Mark iii, I would have had more in focus shots. But I was plenty happy with my K-1 Mark II and the Sigma 150-500.