Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2019, 10:05 AM   #1

Use of LCD screen

I am probably missing out on something, but I never look at the small LCD screen. Perhaps you could help me to make better use of it. I would also be curious to know how often you use it and what is the main thing that you look for when using it.

10-09-2019, 10:16 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I dont have the K-1, but i use the top LCD screen on my K-7 quite a lot. At this time of year im out mostly shooting in dusk conditions. So the lcd screen is much easier to check settings before using the viewfinder, than using the larger screen. Generally for dusk and night photography i find it more efficient to use viewfinder and top lcd screen and keeping the larger screen dark. Even with the screen dilated all the way down, i find it still to bright for my use. So the top LCD is a good alternative for keeping the eyes more adapted to the dark.
10-09-2019, 10:30 AM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I rarely use the back LCD on my K3, rather always use the top screen to adjust settings when taking photos. It's just so much easier, than the back screen or the viewfinder.
10-09-2019, 10:36 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Top LCD screen is a hangover from film days.

Rear LCD screen can display more data . If you are looking down on the camera on a tripod for example you can use a articulated screen to see more than the top lcd would show.

10-09-2019, 10:47 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The top plate LCD on the K-1 is most useful for tripod work (assuming you don't have a tall, eye-level tripod). You can also use it to show exposure settings on the top LCD instead of cluttering the live view image.

The other hidden genius feature of the top LCD is that, when you turn off the camera, the top LCD briefly shows the number of shots remaining on the currently selected SD card. It can be a good habit to glance at that number every time the camera is turned off to reduce the chance of the dreaded "card-full" error.
10-09-2019, 10:51 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While you can check your settings in LV (which I almost exclusively use in combination with a tripod) or in the OVF I often check the plausibility of my settings on the top LCD at the beginning of a shooting.
In combination with older lenses without an A-setting I also use the top LCD to apply the sunny 16 rule or the like, because I have to set the aperture on the lens anyway the OVF has no advantage over the top LCD in my opinion.
10-09-2019, 11:07 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I'm not here to say which is better for reviewing settings, top or back, because that seems like personal preference - but this was a funny reality check for me, because I have been shooting with the K-1 for over a year and forgot it even had a top screen. I even Googled for images (don't have the camera with me) to double-check.

I guess I don't use it much then, which is weird, because with my previous Pentax K-3 and K200D I used it all the time. Maybe because I can tilt my screen up, and thus when using a tripod I just look at the screen? I'm not sure.

Thanks for giving myself a laugh.

10-09-2019, 11:29 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Snapppy Quote
I'm not here to say which is better for reviewing settings, top or back, because that seems like personal preference - but this was a funny reality check for me, because I have been shooting with the K-1 for over a year and forgot it even had a top screen. I even Googled for images (don't have the camera with me) to double-check.

I guess I don't use it much then, which is weird, because with my previous Pentax K-3 and K200D I used it all the time. Maybe because I can tilt my screen up, and thus when using a tripod I just look at the screen? I'm not sure.

Thanks for giving myself a laugh.
That is pretty close to my experience in that I never use the LCD screen. I think because after making the adjustments and composing, my focus is on the image that I see through the lens. I had my K-1 for a very long time before noticing the LCD screen. Good to have a laugh and glad Google helped.
10-09-2019, 11:31 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I also like the top screen to keep the back screen clearer of clutter when shooting off a tripod.
10-09-2019, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Happen to like the top LCD screen on my K-3 - just as on the K-7 I shot before it - a lot and have come to regard it as an expert-level-and-upwards feature. Therefore, I'm glad the upcoming APS-C flagship seems to be retaining it.

People may argue it's redundant when the same information can be and by default is displayed on the back LCD. However, the top LCD is a nice backup or alternative when the back LCD is obscured or hard to access. Also, the top LCD information is or feels more succinct, condensed, focussed. I use the top LCD quite a lot, both in handheld shooting and with the camera on a tripod. One typical use that springs to mind would be checking for exposure compensation settings.
10-09-2019, 12:33 PM   #11
Unregistered User

Always use the top display to check what aperture and shutterspeed I have set, never the rear unless I need something from the quick menu. The rear is turned off 99% of the time.
I miss the larger top display with more info.
10-09-2019, 12:35 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I use the top screen mostly. Maybe it's just habit? I find it quick to check my ev compensation.
10-09-2019, 01:46 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I rarely use the back LCD on my K3, rather always use the top screen to adjust settings when taking photos. It's just so much easier, than the back screen or the viewfinder.

yes a big +1 on that, adjust ISO, EV, shutter, aperture mainly
10-09-2019, 02:20 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wings Quote
I would also be curious to know how often you use it and what is the main thing that you look for when using it.
I don't have a K-1, but use the top LCD on my K-3 quite frequently. A partial explanation is probably that I generally have the rear status display turned off to conserve batteries. I also find that is much handier to review major settings on the top screen.

Steve
10-09-2019, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My first Pentax was a ME Super.
I thought the 2 buttons to set exposure time were a good idea.
I could change time fast without taking my eye from the VF.
But I hated I could not see which time I had set before looking through the VF.

With the Super A ("Super Program" in the US) they introduced a small top LCD window showing the set exposure time.
While this feature was not available in all 4 modes (M, Av, Tv, P) I found it a great improvement.

I am still so used to it, I would not buy a body lacking a top LCD.
Specially as these now-a-days also show aperture, ISO, EV, and how many pictures may still fit on the SD card.

To have this infos in advance may save a lot of shots of people without "posing".
Once you look through the VF people will realize you may take a picture, and if you don't do it immediately, the result often may not look natural any more.

Of course using LV would be another option.
But for me, back screen/LV is ok with small cameras, with the heavier DSLRs I don't use it hand held.
Sometimes on a tripod, but I very seldom carry a tripod with me.