Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
11-09-2019, 11:28 AM   #16

Original Poster
Thank you all for the input. I haven't got the chance to try any Takumar yet, as i will need an adapter. I am choosing the Asahi one. So i have been using the M 50mm 1.7 for now and it seems to perform quite well.

Now, one thing i will be surely facing, whenever i start using the Taks, will be the problem of knowing which one took each photo (with the SR on, i know i will be indicating the focal length to an exif field, which is already something). I was wondering if it was possible to create an in camera folder for each Tak. So, each time I would put one Tak, i would choose its specific folder. However, I can create a folder, but it seems i cannot have a list of selectable folders do choose from (or I don't know how to). Is this so, or am i missing any setting? If I cannot do that, is there any simple way of identifying a lens, other than writing which one I am using, on a paper / phone (this would be more prone to errors)?

---------- Post added 11-09-19 at 11:33 AM ----------

About focusing, by now I am preferring either the manual focusing or the confirmation focusing. The focus trap seems more likely to miss the right spot and the LV is not good for me, not without a tripod.

11-30-2019, 09:11 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fernando Sousa Quote
Now, one thing i will be surely facing, whenever i start using the Taks, will be the problem of knowing which one took each photo (with the SR on, i know i will be indicating the focal length to an exif field, which is already something). I was wondering if it was possible to create an in camera folder for each Tak. So, each time I would put one Tak, i would choose its specific folder. However, I can create a folder, but it seems i cannot have a list of selectable folders do choose from (or I don't know how to). Is this so, or am i missing any setting? If I cannot do that, is there any simple way of identifying a lens, other than writing which one I am using, on a paper / phone (this would be more prone to errors)?
Don't think there's any way to create folders you can then select. . I've resorted to holding up a piece of paper when I really wanted to know. Often what I do is just name the folder I copy the files to on the computer to reflect the lenses I was using. I do take the files off daily, so I don't give myself time to forget.
12-05-2019, 11:34 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Don't think there's any way to create folders you can then select. . I've resorted to holding up a piece of paper when I really wanted to know. Often what I do is just name the folder I copy the files to on the computer to reflect the lenses I was using. I do take the files off daily, so I don't give myself time to forget.
Yes, that would work, except I don't take photos that often, I upload my photos from camera weekly, or every 2 weeks or even more, so that makes things harder for me. And i am not that organised. But the paper would be a great help, indeed, or maybe taking notes on a mobile phone. In the computer, I use tags (keywords) instead of folders. My thing is, how to be organised enought so that then i know which tags go to which image files...
12-05-2019, 11:43 AM - 1 Like   #19

On my K-70 I do live view with focus peaking. It's always accurate. The viewfinder focus confirmation isn't great with narrow dof. If I don't have time for live view I just fire off a bunch of shots at a variety of focal positions. One or two of them will always be focused where I want it.

12-05-2019, 11:54 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Qman Quote
On my K-70 I do live view with focus peaking. It's always accurate. The viewfinder focus confirmation isn't great with narrow dof. If I don't have time for live view I just fire off a bunch of shots at a variety of focal positions. One or two of them will always be focused where I want it.
Yes, I have tested the live view with focus peaking and that works great. However, for me, I almost always just take the camera with me, so, no tripod, so, no live view as then that would mean an headache for me. Without any tripod, it is for me much more comfortable just having the camera next to my face and my eye. So I am trying to improve my MF skills by just using the viewfinder. No 50mm f1.2 here... I am also used to take more than one photo, just in case...
12-06-2019, 05:17 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use the pentax eyepiece magnifier on the K-1 to help with manual focusing. If the eye isn't aligned perfectly, the corners of the viewfinder might be hidden. I'd rather miss a corner than miss focus.

Wish the K-1 had the same SR focal length input screen as the Q series. The Q allow inputting .10 values. So for 50mm there's 50.0, 50.1, 50.2, 50.3...etc. with this system each Takumar can be given its own unique decimal point. Alas the K-1 doesn't allow such fine increments. Bet it could be added via firmware. Please add this Ricoh.

Thanks,
barondla
12-06-2019, 06:01 AM - 1 Like   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
I use the pentax eyepiece magnifier on the K-1 to help with manual focusing. If the eye isn't aligned perfectly, the corners of the viewfinder might be hidden. I'd rather miss a corner than miss focus.

Wish the K-1 had the same SR focal length input screen as the Q series. The Q allow inputting .10 values. So for 50mm there's 50.0, 50.1, 50.2, 50.3...etc. with this system each Takumar can be given its own unique decimal point. Alas the K-1 doesn't allow such fine increments. Bet it could be added via firmware. Please add this Ricoh.

Thanks,
barondla
That would be great. I do have a few 50mm (macro, 1.7, 1.4 ...), so at least one would have the possibility to ID 10 lenses for each FL. As it is with the K1, there are even some FL that cannot be entered, just an approximation. However, coming from an old Canon, being able to enter a FL for a MF lens is already fantastic. Maybe with some firmware revision, it gets even better

The eyepiece magnifier is a great ideia and I will consider to get one. I would also rather miss a corner than miss focus.

12-08-2019, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This photo taken w/M42 Helios M44-2 58mm f/2 Lens on a Pentax M42 adapter

Photo taken on a tripod using live view on my K-1 Mark II. While the aperture ring on this lens has hard stops, the adjustment ring to allow focusing with more light is variable. I'm not sure exactly what the aperture setting was but it was between f/2.8 and f/4 using the variable ring. Focus peaking seems to work quite well on the K-1 with these lens'. I also have several Takumars, but this Helios gives great bokeh which was my goal. I didn't have any of my Taks with me, but tonight I am bringing my Takumar 35mm f/2 and Takumar 24mm f/3.5 to try.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
12-10-2019, 06:30 AM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruzer Quote
Photo taken on a tripod using live view on my K-1 Mark II. While the aperture ring on this lens has hard stops, the adjustment ring to allow focusing with more light is variable. I'm not sure exactly what the aperture setting was but it was between f/2.8 and f/4 using the variable ring. Focus peaking seems to work quite well on the K-1 with these lens'. I also have several Takumars, but this Helios gives great bokeh which was my goal. I didn't have any of my Taks with me, but tonight I am bringing my Takumar 35mm f/2 and Takumar 24mm f/3.5 to try.
Nice photo. Thanks. So, has the helios just got 4 blades, or what? Is that why the out of focus lights seem almost square?
12-10-2019, 07:17 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fernando Sousa Quote
Nice photo. Thanks. So, has the helios just got 4 blades, or what? Is that why the out of focus lights seem almost square?
Thank you. The Helios has 8 blades, but at some point in its history someone opened up the lens and trimmed 4 of the 8 blades to give it this effect. I didn't know this when I bought the lens, and probably the seller didn't either as they had 20 or 30 copies to sell. There is a tutorial here that shows the process for modifying the blades:

Square Bokeh modification to Helios 44-2 (Tutorial) - PentaxForums.com

This will give you more info than I could about the process. I enjoy the results of this modification.
12-29-2019, 06:33 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruzer Quote
Thank you. The Helios has 8 blades, but at some point in its history someone opened up the lens and trimmed 4 of the 8 blades to give it this effect. I didn't know this when I bought the lens, and probably the seller didn't either as they had 20 or 30 copies to sell. There is a tutorial here that shows the process for modifying the blades:

Square Bokeh modification to Helios 44-2 (Tutorial) - PentaxForums.com

This will give you more info than I could about the process. I enjoy the results of this modification.
I was wondering what was going on, because that's not the soap bubble bokeh the lens is known for. I can see having a copy with this modification.