Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2019, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love it too. And as background, prior to getting the K-1, I'm on recording here on the forums as saying that tilty screens are not important to me - or indeed that I don't want one.

However in actual use the K-1 screen:
* Tilts to all the awkward angles you need (the rotation is just as important as the tilting)
* Range of motion is enough to suit most use cases
* It all feels solid and I'm confident its not going to break easily

11-04-2019, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After watching video of the K-1 screen it seems just a tad less flexible than the K-70 screen as the latter can compensate, perhaps, to keep an annoying light off the screen where the K-i's is would not. That said, if Pentax wants to send me a K-i for long term testing I would not say no.
11-04-2019, 01:27 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

I use it often and love it. I have also K-70 and for my style of shooting the moonlander solution from K-1 is better. Probably I will never buy a camera with fixed screen again as 40% of my shoots are interiors from tripod. A non-fixed screen is a must and the solution from K-1 is almost perfect. In fact I would't be surprised if the next APS-C flagship would have similar screen. I know the prototype body has fixed screen but I still don't believe this is the final version.
11-04-2019, 01:36 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I love it. Use it often. Really appreciate it's flexibility. And it impresses the heck out of my Canikon buddies too.

11-04-2019, 01:43 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Rolls Royce of articulating screens ... though of course not everyone wants a Rolls Royce. I use it mostly for waist-level shooting, but also sometimes for very low or overhead shots. Nicely engineered.
11-04-2019, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

that screen design is the best thing ever, for screens. Appreciate the way it tilts all-ways and actually do use it regularly.

Much prefer that stilty design, than the "fully articulated" design on the K70.

Understand that likely is to keep costs lower but if the KP's screen is that design, that will be great.

Am actualy hoping the new upcoming K(x) will have the same type of screen, although, seems will not be so.

Many others i met (who use other gear) kept thinking it is much too flimsy a design, and that it's likely too fragile and etc.

UNTIL i got sick of it and told them "look, it is not at all flimsy",
And proceeded to hold the screen (extended) and let the cam body dangle down.
(Of cuz, i dont do that when attached to a big heavy lens, only by cam body itself or with a smaller lighter lens).
11-04-2019, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

I love the flip screen, especially nice for low angle macro and waste level shooting. With the flip screen pointing up and live view you can pretend you're shooting with a twin lens reflex.

Taken from a small tripod, 2 second delay, live view with Pixel shift... no tilt screen, no shot, unless you're willing to lie in mud and spend 2 hours doing laundry.
K-1 and DFA 100 macro

Flip Screen in action.

Last edited by normhead; 11-04-2019 at 01:56 PM.
11-04-2019, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #23
Unregistered User

It is brilliant! =)
11-04-2019, 01:55 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I never expected to have much use for it, but I actually find it to be very useful. Compared to to movable screen on my Fujifilm X2, the Pentax K1 screen is more intuitive, faster to use and faster to stow away. I love it.

In fact it’s like most things Pentax: robust, functional and obviously designed by a real photographer.
11-04-2019, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

Love it. Use it very often! Really miss it when shooting with my K-3
11-04-2019, 02:28 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

I like it. It is not that good in portrait orientation, but in landscape it is really handy. I like the fact that you can actully pull it away from the body a bit so it will go past OVF rubber when you are looking down. It is also nice to be able to twist it. Not using it all the tome, but when I do, it is nice and handy.
11-04-2019, 02:29 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
.....waste level shooting.....
What was that mushroom growing in?!?!?!?!
11-04-2019, 02:43 PM - 1 Like   #28
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Always wanted a tilt screen for macro and other uses. Years ago Pentax wasn't interested so I bought an Olympus with the feature. Didn't use the screen as much as anticipated.

Using the Pentax K-1 flip screen much more and I'm not sure why. It seems to be a stranger implementation than the multi directional Olympus. But I use it more. Anyone else run into this?

Do you think Pentax will stick with this flippy screen design or drop it on future K-1 versions? It looks expensive to manufacture.
Thanks,
barondla
When I bought the camera I thought it was just a gadget, without any value. But I use the articulated scgreen more and more, and I can barely imagine how in the past I could work without it. It's useful when I'm not able to use the optical view finder, and it can be used from almost any position. It looks odd but it is handy. And it is suprisingly strong.
11-04-2019, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #29
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Do you like the unique design of the K-1 lcd?
It wouldn't have been a deal breaker for me not to have it... I just wanted the FF.

That said when I do use it for shooting, which is not that often... I use it for low level stuff, overheads in crowds and for candid table top "street photography".

I'm old school manual kinda guy, so the rear screen is actually turned off on my K1s. I just use it for having a wee look at the images every now and again to make sure I'm not messing up the shoot.
11-04-2019, 02:58 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
What was that mushroom growing in?!?!?!?!
Tha mushroom was the low level, I don't have to lie in the mud image. It's growing out of a crevice in rock that is concealed by fallen leaves. But it's ground level.