Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 90 Likes Search this Thread
11-05-2019, 08:40 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Are you aware that a Ricoh rep did just that at the CP+ show in 2016?

Twitter

The display seems rugged... - PentaxForums.com
Pete, I was unaware of this. Just thinking what would be the dumbest thing for someone to do with the screen. Pentax beat me to it. Awesome engineering. Thanks for posting this.
Thanks,
barondla

11-05-2019, 08:41 AM   #47
Veteran Member

I love it! And the Canikon crew looks at it and goes, "wow, very neat!" @normhead I think someone may have been asking if that was a magic mushroom since they grow in one specific material from what my hippie pals tell me!

Last edited by SSGGeezer; 11-05-2019 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Spelling! For the Pedant grammar nazis who lurk!
11-05-2019, 09:14 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I remeber I have it, really like it. The mechanism works well and is just fun to use.
11-05-2019, 09:29 AM - 5 Likes   #49
Pentaxian

Very timely thread! Last week my K-1's LCD screen came partially off due to a 2 - 3 foot drop!!!

When my K-1 (without a lens on it) fell from my kitchen table, half way down, one corner of the LCD screen caught on the edge of a wooden chair's seat. That pulled the LCD screen away from the camera and for a brief moment, the camera was suspended from that one LCD hinge.

The camera landed on my kitchen floor (wood covered with vinyl). When I picked it up, I was pleased to see it's LCD screen was not scratched or broken. I tested the K-1 and it worked fine. HOWEVER, the lower left steel hinge under the LCD screen had been "popped" out of the channel that it slides in!

I tried to fit it back into its' channel, but it refused to go back in (even with significant pressure being applied).

After a bit of investigation, I decided to gently pry off the thin plastic cover that covers where the hinge inserts into the channel on the camera body. This plastic cover was lightly glued on, and I was able to pry it off without using a solvent.

Under the plastic cover, I found 4 small philips head screws. I removed them using the screw driver I use for lens/camera mounts. After removing the 4 screws, the two piece channel that the base of the hinge rides in came off of the camera.

Now I was able to insert the base of the hinge under the channel, put the whole thing back , re-attach the 4 little screws, and use a tiny bit of glue to re-attach the black plastic cover.

It now works and looks like new again!

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 05-06-2020 at 10:47 PM.
11-05-2019, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #50
Pentaxian

I've only had my K1 for about a month, but so far I really like the rear screen. In fact, I'm trying to remember whether I even used the viewfinder at all when I first tried out the K1 on a field trip with my camera club. For work, I shoot a Panasonic GH-5s and I constantly use its articulating rear screen so I'm thinking it'll be the same with my K1.
11-05-2019, 10:19 AM - 4 Likes   #51
Veteran Member

The mechanism takes a huge load before the legs are pulled out of their sockets. Somewhere around 30kg of weight.

Here is some stuff hanging from the lcd. About 15kg in total.

No other tilt or articulating whatever system comes even close.
11-05-2019, 10:44 AM - 3 Likes   #52
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Very timely thread! Last week my K-1's LCD screen came partially off due to a 2 - 3 foot drop!!!

When my K-1 (without a lens on it) fell from my kitchen table, half way down, one corner of the LCD screen caught on the edge of a wooden chair's seat. That pulled the LCD screen away from the camera and for a brief moment, the camera was suspended from that one LCD hinge.

The camera landed on my kitchen floor (wood covered with vinyl). When I picked it up, I was pleased to see it's LCD screen was not scratched or broken. I tested the K-1 and it worked fine. HOWEVER, the lower left steel hinge under the LCD screen had been "popped" out of the channel that it slides in!

I tried to fit it back into its' channel, but it refused to go back in (even with significant pressure being applied).

After a bit of investigation, I decided to gently pry off the thin plastic cover that covers where the hinge inserts into the channel on the camera body. This plastic cover was lightly glued on, and I was able to pry it off without using a solvent.

Under the plastic cover, I found 4 small philips head screws. I removed them using the screw driver I use for lens/camera mounts. After removing the 4 screws, the two piece channel that the base of the hinge rides in came off of the camera.

Now I was able to insert the base of the hinge under the channel, put the whole thing back , re-attach the 4 little screws, and use a tiny bit of glue to re-attach the black plastic cover.

It now works and looks like new again! But, based on this experience, I've learned that the hinges on the backside of the LCD are NOT as strong as you might think. I certainly will never suspend my K-1 by it's LCD screen again.

Wow!

Your experience actually shows strong and robust the mechanism really is for two reasons.

First, impact loads can be insanely high. In this case, about 30 cm of 1-G acceleration was halted by no more than 3 cm of deceleration -- that's at least 10Gs (equal to suspending at least 22 pounds from one leg of the screen). But that assumes the leg exerted a nice uniform force to slow the fall. In reality, the leg probably exerted minimal force -- it slid in it's track until it hit the end. If the amount of give and stretch at that end point was maybe a millimeter or two, then the deceleration was on the order of 150G or higher (330 pounds). Something had to give!

Second, the mechanism failed gracefully. The ball popped out of the track instead of truly breaking anything. All it took was a bit of disassembly and reassembly to fix the thing.

11-05-2019, 12:25 PM - 2 Likes   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Wow!

Your experience actually shows strong and robust the mechanism really is for two reasons.

First, impact loads can be insanely high. In this case, about 30 cm of 1-G acceleration was halted by no more than 3 cm of deceleration -- that's at least 10Gs (equal to suspending at least 22 pounds from one leg of the screen). But that assumes the leg exerted a nice uniform force to slow the fall. In reality, the leg probably exerted minimal force -- it slid in it's track until it hit the end. If the amount of give and stretch at that end point was maybe a millimeter or two, then the deceleration was on the order of 150G or higher (330 pounds). Something had to give!

Second, the mechanism failed gracefully. The ball popped out of the track instead of truly breaking anything. All it took was a bit of disassembly and reassembly to fix the thing.

Maybe this anchor point was designed to "fail safe". It certainly would have been worse had the joint held tight (if it had, the LCD itself might have cracked).

Yeah, disassembly and reassembly was easy - just put on my magnifying goggles and poked around slowly.

I guess that the fact that my K-1 and LCD survived this fall no worse for the wear is just another example of how rugged these camera's are! I've got two K-1's - a newish one and my original one that's taken a beating over the last 3 years. No matter how much I use and abuse the old ugly one, it just keeps cranking out images that are just as good as my new one.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 11-05-2019 at 12:36 PM.
11-05-2019, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Artistic and brutal at the same time.

I use mine often and wouldn't be without one now.
11-05-2019, 04:20 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
The mechanism takes a huge load before the legs are pulled out of their sockets. Somewhere around 30kg of weight.

No other tilt or articulating whatever system comes even close.
Yowza! Great image, but it may get reported for camera brutality ☺. The post needs a "no camera was hurt during this the making of this picture" warning label. Can't unsee this now.
Thanks for sharing,
barondla
11-05-2019, 04:45 PM   #56
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote

Do you think Pentax will stick with this flippy screen design or drop it on future K-1 versions? It looks expensive to manufacture.
Hope it will be a unique thing for flack ship body, APSC and FF.
11-05-2019, 05:03 PM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
Hope it will be a unique thing for flack ship body, APSC and FF.
For the APS-C flagship, I would prefer them to aim for compactness as much as possible (not KP-compact obviously), so a more conventional flippy screen may be the better option. But I'd certainly be happy for the moon-lander to persist in FF.
11-05-2019, 11:59 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
There's always the wifi app when you want to use unrealistic angles

One thing I'd like improved would be to have the ability to make the screen horizontal in portrait orientation also. A big challenge if one wants to keep the size under control.
Have you ever tried to make a series of 3 pictures with the wifi app? It's impossible because only single shot photos are supported.

I don't understand why the have no mode in the app to do exactly the same thing as if you were pressing the release button on the camera.
11-06-2019, 06:16 AM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by joergens.mi Quote
Have you ever tried to make a series of 3 pictures with the wifi app? It's impossible because only single shot photos are supported.

I don't understand why the have no mode in the app to do exactly the same thing as if you were pressing the release button on the camera.
The wifi app isn't the most robust, granted. I don't use it often, but at least it's there.

For the record, I don't use Ricoh's app, but rather PentaxPhotoSync which I find works better.
11-15-2019, 05:18 AM   #60
Forum Member

I like it on short tripods when I'm doing astrophotography. The screen articulates just right and the red screen helps for darkness adjustments. It has also been helpful when in a crowd but the camera can get weighty. All in all if it could close itself it would be the only safety net for the screen.