Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-06-2019, 08:54 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Rolling or Global Shutter

An interesting question came to mind recently. I'm now working quite a bit with drones, and one of the selling points of the more high end products is a global shutter as opposed to a rolling shutter. This got me wondering about my cameras. Do Pentax sensors work on global or rolling shutters?

11-06-2019, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rolling as far as I know is the norm for the size sensors involved. Global shutters are relatively new additions to the sony sensors in this size:

https://www.thephoblographer.com/2018/09/10/its-official-sony-has-new-global...hirds-sensors/

I'm not aware of any Pentax using a sensor with a global shutter.
11-06-2019, 09:14 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Rolling as far as I know is the norm for the size sensors involved. Global shutters are relatively new additions to the sony sensors in this size:

https://www.thephoblographer.com/2018/09/10/its-official-sony-has-new-global...hirds-sensors/

Thank you Vanya
11-06-2019, 10:04 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote

It's also worth noting that even that new Sony sensor isn't very good -- it's got worse dynamic range than older APS-C sensors and worse video frame rate performance than other older (but smaller) video sensors.

For video and global shutter, smaller sensors are generally better.

11-06-2019, 10:37 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Pentax sensors have a unique technology, it's called the local global shutter, each Pentax pixel has a global shutter that is local to that pixel.
11-06-2019, 11:24 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Pentax sensors have a unique technology, it's called the local global shutter, each Pentax pixel has a global shutter that is local to that pixel.
But I think that's not so unique as you try to make us believe
11-06-2019, 11:39 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I do not think any consumer level camera has a global shutter yet. The shutters exist but are not ready for prime time.

11-06-2019, 11:48 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I do not think any consumer level camera has a global shutter yet. The shutters exist but are not ready for prime time.
iPhones have had them for over a year, now. So they are in at least 70 million consumer level cameras.

Global shutter sensors are in widespread use but only on smaller sensors.
11-06-2019, 11:51 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Phone cameras are a different world because their sensors are so tiny.
11-06-2019, 11:52 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The drone camera we're using, with global shutters, is a Parrot Sequoia, with an RGB sensor, and 4 individual sensors in green, red, red edge and near infra red. It's designed to take vertical aerial images only, for vegetation health index. The global shutters are to prevent smearing of the images in flight.

11-06-2019, 12:01 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Exactly!

For any performance parameter related to speed such as global shutter, video, frames-per-second, etc., small sensors beat big sensors.

For any performance parameter related to image quality: dynamic range, bit depth, color accuracy, noise, etc., big sensors beat small sensors.

The video specs on smaller sensor cameras will always lead the specs on bigger sensor cameras.

The still image specs on bigger sensor camera will always lead the spec on smaller sensor cameras.
11-07-2019, 06:56 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those phone sensors are getting bigger. The new iPhone 11 pro sensor is 1/2.55" vs the original Q sensor at 1/2.3" (current q model has a 1/1.7" sensor).