Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2019, 08:33 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-1 instruction manual

The K-1 is a complex machine. Surprised the instruction manual is only 132 pages. This is fewer pages than the K10/K20/K7. Is there a longer version on disc or the web? Does Yvon's book go into greater detail?

PentaxForums has been an invaluable help to learn the K-1.
Thanks,
barondla

Last edited by barondla; 11-18-2019 at 09:33 AM.
11-18-2019, 09:03 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The web version is pretty much identical to the printed version and it is a bit sketchy in a lot of places.

There's also an e-manual written by Yvon Bourque which is helpful (available through this forum). The e-manual by Yvon is printable and goes into more detail than the original Pentax manual.

Beyond that, not much is available, however searching the YouTube tutorials for "K-1" can also provide some useful information if you're willing to watch some of the offerings there (they range from amateur to well-produced).

I think I mastered my K-1 mostly through comments on this forum, as you mentioned you have done, usually concentrating on one feature at a time. With all the features the K-1 has, that's still a work in progress.

Last edited by Bob 256; 11-18-2019 at 09:22 AM.
11-18-2019, 09:24 AM   #3

You might consider purchasing the K-1 eBook:

Pentax K-1 e-book by Yvon Bourque - PentaxForums.com
11-18-2019, 09:41 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Surprised the instruction manual is only 132 pages.
Using Pentax cameras is just common sense, for most features the menus are self explanatory. And a number of ways Pentax cameras operate are also common to Nikon or Canon.

11-18-2019, 10:01 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the trouble is that the more detail the manual goes into the less likely it will be read. The internet age means online and printed manuals are less important too.

Once you are on to your 2nd or third camera do you need a full description of what bracketing or EC does ? I think the K1 manual strikes the right balance. When I got the K1 i went through the entire manual with the camera over a few evenings. If it had been 300 pages I may not have bothered
11-18-2019, 06:24 PM - 1 Like   #6
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+1 for Yvon Bourque’s e-books. Both his K3 and K1 versions, along with the original Pentax manuals reside on my iPad for quick reference. Yvon’s are definitely easier to read.