Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
12-01-2019, 08:30 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K-1's IBIS Saves The Day (again!)

I love to take photos for our local charities. Last week was the annual "Festival of Trees" Christmas tree exhibit. Here they sell fully decorated Christmas trees with the proceeds going to support local hospice houses.

I was asked by the director to again take photos of the event. Wednesday I attended with my Fuji X-T2. I took lots of photos that I thought were pretty nice. However, the venue was dimly lit (to showcase the Christmas tree lights) and when I got home and looked at my many photos on my 27" monitor I noticed that all of the images were slightly blurred! I could not use a tripod or mono-pod for this shoot, and most of the photos were taken at around 1/15th - 1/60th of a second (note that the Fuji X-T2 does NOT have IBIS).

I went back the next day with my K-1 camera and a similar lens and re-shot these images with the K-1's IBIS turned "on". When I examined these photos back home I found that they were all critically sharp.

While I don't need IBIS all of the time, when it comes to those occasions when shooting in dim light, the K-1's IBIS can mean the difference between getting the shot or not.

I doubt that I will ever buy another camera without IBIS. None-the-less, I think that I'll be keeping the Fuji X-T2 to use strictly for making 4K videos. But I'm sticking with the Pentax K-1 for my stills work.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 05-06-2020 at 10:47 PM.
12-01-2019, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #2
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax IBIS has been a game changer from day one, nice shot.
12-01-2019, 09:06 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I went back the next day with my K-1 camera and a similar lens and re-shot these images with the K-1's IBIS turned "on". When I examined these photos back home I found that they were all critically sharp.
Like you, I've found the IBIS in my K-3 II to be quite effective. I especially appreciate that it works with any lens that's mounted, even older vintage ones.

Last week, I had the opportunity to spend some time testing my son's new Fujifilm X-T3. Of course, the X-T3 does not have IBIS. With the Fuji XF 18-55mm 'kit' lens, I was able to achieve a 2-EV shutter speed advantage with its optical image stabilization (OIS). I also found that the X-T3 RAW files were fairly 'clean' noise-wise up to ISO 3200 (certainly usable after modest post processing), for which I could gain a further EV advantage. Not all of Fuji's lenses have OIS, so I think this is one area in which the Pentax shake reduction offers an advantage.

Good work with your contribution to your local charities!

- Craig
12-01-2019, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like it and can get some tack sharp shots (about 25%) with a 300mm and 1/30s on the K-3. My solution it to use burst mode and blast away and then bin the bad ones.

12-01-2019, 07:03 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great result! Thanks for sharing.
12-01-2019, 08:11 PM   #6

I'm surprised Fuji hasn't brought IBIS to the XT-3. They have the technology. I wonder if they're losing sales because of it.
12-01-2019, 08:23 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
my K-1 camera and a similar lens
What does Fuji have that is similar to the A* 85 f1.4? The photo you posted above is great, I would say that the entire Pentax system is what allows you to use this old gem of a lens in modern circumstances and IBIS on a full-frame DSLR is only part of it.

12-02-2019, 02:50 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
High ISO on the K-1 isn't bad either
12-02-2019, 04:18 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Like you, I've found the IBIS in my K-3 II to be quite effective. I especially appreciate that it works with any lens that's mounted, even older vintage ones.

Last week, I had the opportunity to spend some time testing my son's new Fujifilm X-T3. Of course, the X-T3 does not have IBIS. With the Fuji XF 18-55mm 'kit' lens, I was able to achieve a 2-EV shutter speed advantage with its optical image stabilization (OIS). I also found that the X-T3 RAW files were fairly 'clean' noise-wise up to ISO 3200 (certainly usable after modest post processing), for which I could gain a further EV advantage. Not all of Fuji's lenses have OIS, so I think this is one area in which the Pentax shake reduction offers an advantage.

Good work with your contribution to your local charities!

- Craig
His shot was at 85mm and f2.4, so not sure there is a Fuji optically stabilized lens that is capable of that. I have always thought that having in body stabilization was awfully nice with regard to stabilizing small-ish primes.
12-02-2019, 07:56 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
His shot was at 85mm and f2.4, so not sure there is a Fuji optically stabilized lens that is capable of that.
I think that you're correct. I'm not totally familiar with the Fuji system, but I think the closest OIS lenses would be 80mm f/2.8 or 50-140 f/2.8. Fuji also has 90mm f/2, 56mm f/1.2 and 90 f/2, but they're not OIS.

It's not indicated in the OP which Fuji lens was used on the X-T2. The popular Fuji 'kit lens' -- the 18-55mm OIS -- is very good I would say, but at 55mm it's f/4.The EXIF data for the image suggests that the scene exposure was EV 5, and the horizontal field of view seems to be about 6 feet (don't know whether the image was cropped). It might be possible to take that sort of shot with the Fuji 50-140mm OIS zoom, say at 55mm, f/2.8, 1/60, ISO 1600. Or, increase ISO for a faster shutter speed. Of course, one would have to move closer to the subject by several feet to get a similar FOV and the desired DOF.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I have always thought that having in body stabilization was awfully nice with regard to stabilizing small-ish primes.
Absolutely agree on this point. Pentax in-body 'shake reduction' is an excellent feature.

Regardless of the possibilities with the Fuji system, I think that @Fenwoodian did a marvelous job with his K-1. I'd say the exposure is spot-on, and the camera's shake reduction provided the necessary advantage at the indicated shutter speed. He got the shot!

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 12-02-2019 at 09:22 AM.
12-02-2019, 08:15 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I own no Fuji lenses that are stabilized.

I believe that my Fuji X-T2 shots were taken with an adapted 90mm f/2.5 Leica lens (Walter Mandler design). This lens of course has no IS.
12-04-2019, 12:36 PM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
I would say that the entire Pentax system is what allows you to use this old gem of a lens in modern circumstances and IBIS on a full-frame DSLR
+1... that's why I'm able to still get good mileage out of my "Harem"
12-04-2019, 12:41 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey, this is one of the reasons I am still using Pentax
12-10-2019, 01:31 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

SR or IBIS is something which has completely changed photography. And something we Pentaxians take for granted. We don't realize how useful it is because we rely on it without knowing.

When the Pentax K-3 was launched, Nikon launched a camera body with the same sensor but no IBIS. Nikon forums on the web were ablaze because people were seeing soft images with what used to be their best lenses. People were saying that 24MP was too much, that without a tripod that sensor was unusable, etc. Meanwhile Pentax shooters were taking pictures and enjoying themselves. With time Nikon users realized what was going on, but at the time it was pretty funny (yeah, I know, I'm smug...)
12-13-2019, 05:31 AM   #15

Nice picture ! Thank's