Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2019, 09:07 AM - 2 Likes   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Owners tend to love Subaru
I'll vouch for that. I buy them from the throw-away people and keep them for 5-10 more years depending on how it's doing.

Top Pentax models fit into the non throw away category.
That mindset is part of the reason I went with Pentax (solid cameras and lenses with a good value proposition), though in hindsight I wish I went for a top model and not the K-50 time-bomb. But you know what they say about hindsight...at least I'll know what to do next time.

12-10-2019, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

I've already had to do this with my DA 15mm. My first fell out of my bag and the second fell as a drop trying to put the camera into a car. Both times it was cheaper to replace the lens rather than repair. My original HD 15mm was bought new for $450, the second used SMC version was $350, and the last copy I bought was $250 for an HD version. It costs a minimum of $200 dollars to repair any prime at KEH plus parts.
12-10-2019, 03:00 PM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We live in the disposable age. Cars here, which new sell for $44,000 drop in value to $10,000 or less in 3-5 years. Subsequently, even a minor fender bender sends a car to the scrapyard quite easily as repairs are too expensive and the insurance companies just write the thing off and pay out.
12-10-2019, 07:16 PM - 1 Like   #34

I purchased my K1 and K1 mkii for the purpose of keeping them until they wear out. Yes I will admit they can be a bit heavy for long periods, but landscape and astrophotography they are great. I have never thought of them as disposable neither one was cheap but I really love shooting with them everyday. Even if shooting means taking pic of the lamp in the spare bedroom.

Mike

12-10-2019, 09:01 PM - 1 Like   #35
Forum Member

So there might be a compromise thought here:

Used to be that 100K miles on a car and it really didn't owe you any money. It was "worn out". You can argue about that, but the notion of "duty cycles" is real.

With that in mind, a couple of my K-x bodies have more than 150K actuations (I think - ballpark/close). I think four of the six are at or over 100K. That's lots of camera miles.

So, if I have a K-3 that's at 120K or so and gets silly, do I get a shutter rebuild (no idea about the cost)? Or find a "low mileage" one and replace it?

The difference that I'm seeing here isn't the idea of "too expensive to fix" but, instead "worn out" - doesn't owe me any money - have extracted the value from it in a way that satisfies me.

(And, of course, there's the notion of "obsolete". My K-x bodies, when compared (if only by MP) to the K-3s or K-1 are, effectively, "obsolete". Mechanically sound, perhaps - but by many standards obsolete (in a way that a '77 John Deere tractor may not be).

Lenses, on the other hand, don't have "duty cycles" (well, the AF may...and the zoom mechanism). They don't "wear out" nor do they become "obsolete". My 50mm M 1.2 takes stunning shots when I get lucky with the focus (obsolete?? maybe?).

I'm yammering now. But the point that I'm trying to make is that if I get a prosumer body past 100K clicks, it's returned its value and then some. Not "disposable" but "spent".

(in other news, my '05 WRX has 180K on it...still blasting along...)
12-10-2019, 09:05 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
I've already had to do this with my DA 15mm. My first fell out of my bag and the second fell as a drop trying to put the camera into a car. Both times it was cheaper to replace the lens rather than repair. My original HD 15mm was bought new for $450, the second used SMC version was $350, and the last copy I bought was $250 for an HD version. It costs a minimum of $200 dollars to repair any prime at KEH plus parts.
Wow. What bad luck for the 15. Did you notice any major optical differences between them, before the falls?
Thanks,
barondla
12-11-2019, 04:07 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by corvin Quote

(in other news, my '05 WRX has 180K on it...still blasting along...)
That's actually a good example. $55k new here. 2005 model: $1.8k. More disposable than a camera!
Yet, I bet that, to you, it has far more value than $1.8k! A bit like my Landrover. It does not have a straight panel but mechanically it's very good, so why replace it!
The only vehicles that absurdly keep their value here, are utes. (trucks)

12-11-2019, 08:09 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
"Disposable" seems like too strong a word. You would not throw away an old K-5 just because you have no more use for it. Others would gladly buy these older cameras.

"Not worth repairing" is the right term.

That's true of a great many products these days (not just cameras) that are now much more expensive to repair than to replace. The cost of high-skill labor required for troubleshooting something like a K-1 costs more than the cost of lower-skill labor needed to mass produce the device. It kind of makes sense. The four tasks of taking something apart, finding the problem, getting the right parts, and putting it back together again is a lot more work than the one task of just putting it together.

So.... enjoy all these awesome old cameras and the fact that it's so easy to find used copies of them for a low price.
This.

So a new one was was around $1750 ish? So having it used for $750 less.. I am not sure if that is good or just normal. I know cars drop in price a lot as soon as you drive it off the lot. But a Camera? How much is a used 5D Mark III compared to the original cost. Or D810 or A7RIII?
12-11-2019, 08:44 AM - 1 Like   #39
Forum Member

Yes, way more value than 1.8K on the Subaru. In fact, my last service was about $1,500 U.S. (including a set of new tires) and I was happy to pay it.
12-13-2019, 05:34 AM   #40

1000$ for a K1... incredible. In France not easy to find !
12-13-2019, 10:46 PM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pts1958 Quote
1000$ for a K1... incredible. In France not easy to find !
There is currently a used K-1 for sale on the forum for only $900 ! It comes with a genuine Pentax power grip. Sell the grip for $100 USD, and you effectively have a K-1 with under 20,000 shutter clicks on it that you paid only $800 for!!!
12-14-2019, 08:09 PM   #42
Veteran Member

I pre-ordered my Mark II before it was released.

That was 1 1/2 years ago now.

I am now really rethinking buying new next time. Just wait a year and get used. My 1st camera was the K-5 and it was used. And that was perfectly fine.
12-15-2019, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If anything they are less disposable than the early DSLRs. The technology has matured and the market has shrunk so there is less pressure to frequently upgrade.
12-15-2019, 08:44 AM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
If anything they are less disposable than the early DSLRs. The technology has matured and the market has shrunk so there is less pressure to frequently upgrade.
Yes technically it seems even "old" cameras are good enough. In many ways thats a great development.
12-15-2019, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #45
Veteran Member

Wow. What bad luck for the 15. Did you notice any major optical differences between them, before the falls?
Thanks,
barondla
The HD has the improved coatings, but the DA has the straight aperture blades which creates better sunstars. Otherwise they are pretty much the same.