Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
12-18-2019, 07:17 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The composition adjust feature on the K-1 only moves the sensor by a couple of millimeters or so, only enough for very minor perspective correction. I own the Rokinon (Samyang) lens, and I like it quite a lot, but it does have significant barrel distortion, so for architectural work you would want software capable of correcting that distortion when the lens is shifted. I gather that there are a couple of options, Capture One being one of them.

The Canon and Nikon t/s lenses are reputed to be excellent; they also cost around US$2,000 each. As much as I share the OP's preference for getting it as close as possible in-camera, there's a lot to be said for stitched panoramas for architecture.

Last edited by baro-nite; 12-18-2019 at 09:55 AM.
12-18-2019, 07:58 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
you can adapt nikon lenses to k-mount, but i've only done it on an older nikon shift lens (pc nikkor 28.. f3.5)... which is all manual, so no electrictal contacts to worry about. the problem with it is it's not a great lens to begin with. i feel like there's a t/s adapter for 645 lenses to k-mount, but i'm too lazy to look for it. if t/s is most important to you, start with the right lens and build your system around that.
12-18-2019, 08:23 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Adorama and B&H are both reporting the Rokinon 24mm tilt-shift as no longer available (there is no Samyang branded version apparently).

You can still find them on other sites like sellers on Amazon and WalMart, but they want a lot of money for the lens...
12-18-2019, 08:37 AM - 1 Like   #19

There is this lens as well:
Arsat 35mm F/2.8 PCS H Lens Reviews - Russian and Zenitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

I had it about a year ago, came as part of a lot I bought. Pretty neat little lens, I even tried it on my K-1. The only thing that made me sell it was its limited use for me. Other than that I would have probably kept it if needed.

Mine came with a K-mount which I think was a conversion from M42, but with shift lens it does not matter too much as they are pre-set aperture lenses as far as I know.

So K-1 plus this can be an option, although this lens is only 35mm focal length.

12-18-2019, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KSB Quote
Thanks for all the input...Ok I guess I have to send back the K-1 I just ordered .... J/K .... my interest was more to try and avoid correcting architecture in post as much as possible, I may not need the tilt-shift as much as I think, Had just watched a video using one and that sparked my interest... I am far more interested in the other features the K-1 offers... Thanks again for all the info..... and yes I am ordering my K-1 tonight...
Thanks
Kevin
Tilt and shift is not usually required for real estate, especially interiors. Just need to make sure you keep everything bang on level and importantly select your camera height, eg start about 30 cm above work tops in kitchens as a starter to keep the angles looking fine. Tilt and shift (I've not used) would probably be too slow. The K-1 is fine and gives lots of pixels to crop from.
12-18-2019, 09:55 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote

I am guessing you wanted to use "isn't" in this context
Haha! Good catch, thanks!
12-18-2019, 01:25 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Tilt and shift is not usually required for real estate, especially interiors. Just need to make sure you keep everything bang on level and importantly select your camera height, eg start about 30 cm above work tops in kitchens as a starter to keep the angles looking fine. Tilt and shift (I've not used) would probably be too slow. The K-1 is fine and gives lots of pixels to crop from.
Having done a small amount of such work (for friends and family only) my experience is that a rectilinear 15mm lens on a K-1 is as wide as you’d generally need to go, because interiors tend to look distinctly odd, in my opinion, shot with wider lenses. My Irix 15 does the job nicely, but there are other options, including the Pentax 15-30. Lighting is probably more important than width.

12-18-2019, 02:57 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Another way to get into the tilt/shift game is with a medium format lens and a K mount adapter. The biggest downside is the cost of the adapter and lens. The other deal breaker is that the widest medium format lenses are not particularly wide on full frame.

For example, the widest Hasselblad V lens is the 40mm Distagon. If you happen to own one of those beasts, this adapter will turn it into a TS lens on a K1.

https://www.adorama.com/katshspxk.html?
12-18-2019, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Canon is the FF T/S king. Sadly, the bodies are not up to snuff, although the 5DmkIV is probably adequate for most real estate work, unless you're shooting for Architectural Digest. The 50Ds would be fine, if slow.

That said, I shoot in museums professionally. I'm using a 645Z and K1mkII (upgraded version). I have the 28 shift for the K1, and an Arsat 45 shift for the 645. I have yet to need them. The adjustments in LR that I can do pass muster with the most discerning eyes.
12-20-2019, 04:57 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Sadly tilt shift in Kmount are not numerous. I remember Schneider-Kreuznacht 50 and 90mm that were available, not sure if it is still the case. Price was prohibitive though
12-20-2019, 06:24 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Having done a small amount of such work (for friends and family only) my experience is that a rectilinear 15mm lens on a K-1 is as wide as you’d generally need to go, because interiors tend to look distinctly odd, in my opinion, shot with wider lenses. My Irix 15 does the job nicely, but there are other options, including the Pentax 15-30. Lighting is probably more important than width.
I agree with the Irix 15. Works well for interiors and can crop on the K-1 to give effective longer focal lengths. Backed up with the 24-70, it makes a good, portable, manageable lens pair.

Most tilt/shift corrections, provided you've got it close, are achievable in post, for interiors.