Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
01-06-2020, 08:55 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by xmeda Quote
I've used macro lens, cardboard frame and tablet with white background about 15cm behind as a lightsource many times... works with any camera. Easy to build. Shoot in raw and convert negative by reversing the curve.

Now with 3D printers available it can be even easier to make proper fixture.
Tablet with white background? In my tests that produced a dotted image (screen pixelation). Eventually, I accrued the LED lightable.

01-06-2020, 09:02 AM - 1 Like   #32
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
Tablet with white background? In my tests that produced a dotted image (screen pixelation). Eventually, I accrued the LED lightable.
Just put the tablet on a distance and the texture of the tablet will become far out of focus.
01-06-2020, 10:25 AM   #33

Exactly. It must be out of focus. Computer screen can also be used.. or even a lamp/bulb with some white piece of material can do the job. All you need is some bright background with even light intensity.
01-06-2020, 01:19 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
I have an old thingy like that, not Nikon... It gives me 100% coverage in FF. I use Pixelshift and ISO100. The shutterspeed then depends on the brightness of the light I illuminate with. 2s timer. I shoot in RAW because I can, JPG works fine also but some high contrast slides can benefit from RAW.
Great point!

I considered doing RAW too; but decided that JPGs were good enough. I'm digitizing thousands of my old family snap-shot type 35mm slides and negatives, and I just don't have the time to spend adjusting RAW images (or even cropping JPGs).

However, if I found a slide/negative that I wanted to make a giant print of, I'd probably use RAW.

01-07-2020, 02:06 AM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
£999 ?! I'll stick to my second-hand scanner.
01-07-2020, 07:13 AM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by hypermodern Quote
£999 ?! I'll stick to my second-hand scanner.
And the whole point of the thread is you don't need a scanner
01-07-2020, 07:40 AM   #37

It was mentioned earlier that some of the dichroic color enlargers allowed you to mount a camera in place of the enlarger head. The head could then be inverted on the enlarger base and with an adapter be used as the light source. In essence a copy stand. The advantage is that with the dichroic color head you could dial in any color correction you want.

And you could always pick up one of the Pentax bellows with slide copier attachment. I picked up a near mint Pentax-A Auto Bellow with slide copier for $150 on eBay. It was complete with boxes, dual cable release, instruction booklets and metal scale. The only things missing were the roll film holder for the copy attachment.

01-07-2020, 08:20 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Good to know that that equipment can be used on Pentax gear, especially with an effective field of view given by APS-C, though for what it is, the Nikon ES-2 seems very expensive to me.

I don't see any reason to use ISO 1600 though, just set the whole thing on a tripod, extend the exposure times and use ISO 100 for better results.
01-11-2020, 03:19 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by xmeda Quote
I've used macro lens, cardboard frame and tablet with white background about 15cm behind as a lightsource many times... works with any camera. Easy to build. Shoot in raw and convert negative by reversing the curve.

Now with 3D printers available it can be even easier to make proper fixture.
I imagine a smartphone would also work as a light source if it illuminated enough of what you were trying to duplicate.
01-16-2020, 04:16 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter

I know I'm late to the dance with this, but I bought an adaptor that mounts an enlarging lens to the Pentax screw mount. That goes onto a PK adaptor and mounts to the bellows.
The problem with bellows is the prism overhang preventing direct mounting to the body. I use a short extension tube to mitigate that. So far the best lens I have found is a 60mm Nikkor. It works ok because of the extension tube.
01-17-2020, 07:08 AM - 2 Likes   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I also use a Nikon slide holder on my K1. I used to use a Vivitar 105 Macro but now use a Pentax 100mm Macro. Here's an example of a converted 35mm slide originally shot on Fuji Velvia with my LX. Not sure about the lens, probably a SMC Pentax 24mm F2.8.

Last edited by sibyrnes; 01-17-2020 at 07:26 AM.
01-17-2020, 08:16 PM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sibyrnes Quote
I also use a Nikon slide holder on my K1. I used to use a Vivitar 105 Macro but now use a Pentax 100mm Macro. Here's an example of a converted 35mm slide originally shot on Fuji Velvia with my LX. Not sure about the lens, probably a SMC Pentax 24mm F2.8.
Nice job, beautiful image.

I gave my twin sons each a computer USB memory stick with about 60 image files I digitized of slides and negatives of them when they were young. Both called me when they received the present in the mail and told me that this was the best present that they'd ever received!

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 01-17-2020 at 11:14 PM.
01-18-2020, 10:02 AM   #43

Epson v600 flatbed vs K-1 and slide copier

The reason i am wondering about this comparison is that I am thinking of selling my darkroom equipment, which includes a Rodagon APO 50mm enlarger lens. An enlarger lens should be even better than a macro lens for flatness of field and this being Apochromatic I hate to let it go anyway.

On the other hand, I have a nice Pentax DFA 100 macro, and I might never need the Rodagon for my K-1. The scanner does require some sharpening, but the camera does also.

Dan
01-18-2020, 09:32 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSLRnovice Quote
The reason i am wondering about this comparison is that I am thinking of selling my darkroom equipment, which includes a Rodagon APO 50mm enlarger lens. An enlarger lens should be even better than a macro lens for flatness of field and this being Apochromatic I hate to let it go anyway.

On the other hand, I have a nice Pentax DFA 100 macro, and I might never need the Rodagon for my K-1. The scanner does require some sharpening, but the camera does also.

Dan
Why not try both lenses and keep the one that's best?
01-19-2020, 09:33 AM   #45
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by DSLRnovice Quote

Dan
When it comes to V600 vs K-1 and macrolens+PS I find that the V600 gives me better copies if I overscan in TIFF and then reduce the size in the computer and sharpening after the reduction than shooting with the K-1. Also I often get better colors using the V600 on color negatives.

But it takes alot more time so it depends on the end use.

Medium format film: V600 wins when it comes to IQ and resolution but if I don't wan't to spend the time the K-1 wins.

The above depends on what film grain is used. I shoot on Velvia 50, Ektar 100, Tmax 100, my slides are Kodachrome 64.
Larger grain may tip the scale more towards the K-1.