Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
03-02-2020, 07:21 AM - 2 Likes   #1

Photos: Albums
K1 prores video

Hi, Pentax K1 is not very video friendly it has hdmi out but its not entirely clean. However if you are looking to produce 16:9 it is clean enough. You just need to crop top and bottom.

This morning I received a BlackMagic Hyperlink Shuttle 2 in the post. It's a SSD recorder which records in raw prores hq or dnxhd. After a bit of a play, i thought I would see if it would work with the K1 and it does.
For the sake of speed i took the prores footage into iMovie, and was able to export 1280x720 at 29.97fps.

I need to experiment some more but it doesn't look too bad for now.

03-02-2020, 08:34 AM - 1 Like   #2

Original Poster
Ok the hdmi output generally does 720p60 playback seems to be full hd 1080x1920 at 30fps of a recording made at 24fps
not so good
03-16-2020, 04:26 AM   #3

No way...I'm sorry, Pentax needs to sort this out in the next K1 iteration with serious video capabilities. I acknowledge it's a stills camera but nowdays, even the cheapest consumer camera can do 4K video...
I'm looking into a Sony A7III for my video needs, and as a backup camera for stills, but I'm more and more inclined to change system; not sure if there are any rumors about this, but if Pentax isn't getting it straight with the next update I think I'll be done...
03-16-2020, 10:30 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gerax Quote
No way...I'm sorry, Pentax needs to sort this out in the next K1 iteration with serious video capabilities. I acknowledge it's a stills camera but nowdays, even the cheapest consumer camera can do 4K video...
I'm looking into a Sony A7III for my video needs, and as a backup camera for stills, but I'm more and more inclined to change system; not sure if there are any rumors about this, but if Pentax isn't getting it straight with the next update I think I'll be done...
Enjoy spending thousands of dollars with the possibility that you will still be unhappy. Keep your Pentax, buy a Go pro or similar for 4k and enjoy life without emptying your bank accounts. Video for video, Pentax for Stills IQ. Otherwise let us know when you are selling off your gear, at least in the forums you donate and don't pay horrible percentages to flea bay when you sell.

03-19-2020, 02:11 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Enjoy spending thousands of dollars with the possibility that you will still be unhappy. Keep your Pentax, buy a Go pro or similar for 4k and enjoy life without emptying your bank accounts. Video for video, Pentax for Stills IQ. Otherwise let us know when you are selling off your gear, at least in the forums you donate and don't pay horrible percentages to flea bay when you sell.
GoPro for serious video production isn't a viable option my friend...4K capability doesn't mean the footage is going to be good. Those are good for surfers, bikers or hikers who want to have footage while having fun.
If you ever compared the quality of footage from a GoPro to that of an A7 or a 1Dx MKII you'll see what I mean, even though GoPro has come a long way, but it's still just an action camera.
I love my K1 but its outdated features and niche status are becoming more and more a constraint for what I do...
03-19-2020, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #6

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gerax Quote
I am actually gonna invest in an A7III with my K1II going as a secondary backup, because it is so incapable of video.
03-19-2020, 11:15 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
More noise in still images as sensors that do decent video are compromises. It is always a matter of choice and budget. I don't like EVFs on any camera and do not really care about video so I am perfectly happy with my stable of Pentax cameras and lenses. If you aren't, I hope your choices work out well for you.

03-20-2020, 11:30 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CNunez Quote
I am actually gonna invest in an A7III with my K1II going as a secondary backup, because it is so incapable of video.
The Sony A7Iiij should be a nice camera.
04-08-2020, 03:09 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by CNunez Quote
How are you dealing with lenses? Are you buying a whole new set for the Sony or using some kind of adapter for the Pentax glass you already have?

L.