Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
03-08-2020, 08:50 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Ok here's what I know about it. Correct depressing the back AF button focuses and enacts the shake reduction as long as the back AF button remains depressed. However if you release the back AF button to lock the focus and recompose the shake reduction is released. Once auto focus is locked and the back AF button is released then half pressing the shutter button once again enacts and holds the shake reduction until it is released.
Technically you are correct, but the reason this happens is complicated. Here is what I understand [from experience and consulting the K-1 Manual:

Assuming presence of the Hand Icon in the viewfinder indicates SR is engaged (the manual declares it is - on the back LCD the Icon includes ON), when I release the Back AF Button on both my K-1 and KP the Hand Icon remains lit (therefore SR remains engaged) until the meter stops operating. The controlling factor here is the Meter Operating Time established by the setting chosen in MENU>C >1>3. The choices are 10sec, 3sec, 30sec and Continue. By half-pressing the Shutter Release you keep the Meter operating, and all related functions with it, as if you had chosen the Continue setting.

I set my Meter Operating Time to 30sec. so I needn’t half-press the Shutter Release The Half-Press “shelf” is less defined on the newer cameras and I avoid unwanted shots.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Makes sense. Nice to know.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-08-2020 at 11:28 AM.
03-09-2020, 06:36 AM   #17
Pentaxian

By George you are correct, I never noticed it stayed on, only that I could hear the shake reduction engage at times again when I half pressed the shutter. My K1ll is still new to me.