Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2020, 07:11 AM   #1

Viewfinder does not focus

Greetings all. Shooting with my nearly-new K-1 and the image in the viewfinder does not come into focus. Both auto- and manual focus work as they should (the resulting photo is in focus) but the viewfinder display remains blurry. Live view works fine but I never use it. Everything worked fine until yesterday. Have any forum members come across this problem? Thanks in advance. Phil

03-06-2020, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #2
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Belmondo Quote
Greetings all. Shooting with my nearly-new K-1 and the image in the viewfinder does not come into focus. Both auto- and manual focus work as they should (the resulting photo is in focus) but the viewfinder display remains blurry. Live view works fine but I never use it. Everything worked fine until yesterday. Have any forum members come across this problem? Thanks in advance. Phil
Probably you touched the diopter adjuster on the side of the camera's viewfinder.
03-06-2020, 07:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
Probably you touched the diopter adjuster on the side of the camera's viewfinder.
Either that your your focusing screen came loose. There might also be somwthing wrong with the prisma, but that is highly unliklely compared to the other two options.
03-06-2020, 07:25 AM   #4

Original Poster
WorksAsIntended, I love you. Option 1 worked a treat. I think it's fair to say I'm still learning how to use this thing. Phil

03-06-2020, 07:32 AM   #5

Original Poster
WorksAsIntended, I love you. Option 1 worked a treat. I think it's fair to say I'm still learning how to use this thing. Phil
Sorry – that message of thanks was intended for AfterPentax. Thanks to both for the suggestions.

---------- Post added 03-06-20 at 07:57 AM ----------

Actually while I'm on here, does anyone know if the physical resistance of the shutter release can be adjusted? I find it's a bit too easily pressed for my taste. I can't find anything in the book, so I doubt it. Thanks.
03-06-2020, 08:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Actually while I'm on here, does anyone know if the physical resistance of the shutter release can be adjusted? I find it's a bit too easily pressed for my taste. I can't find anything in the book, so I doubt it. Thanks.
It cannot, but the solution is to not hit the shutter release until you want to actually take a photo
03-06-2020, 09:03 AM   #7

Original Poster
I find that sometimes the photo is taken without any executive approval on my part.

03-06-2020, 09:38 AM - 3 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

Some may disagree but I think once you get used to using it you'll fair much better using Back Button AF and keep the shutter button for shake reduction/ shutter release. All too often it is too easy to lose your focus and shake reduction with a slight release of the shutter button as well as the inadvertent photo snap.. Using back button makes it much more easier to lock focus and re compose.
03-06-2020, 11:23 AM   #9
Unregistered User

I find that sometimes the photo is taken without any executive approval on my part.
What I like to know is: if you have not given your executive approval is the unintended taken picture sharp or not?
03-06-2020, 11:55 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Some may disagree but I think once you get used to using it you'll fair much better using Back Button AF and keep the shutter button for shake reduction/ shutter release. All too often it is too easy to lose your focus and shake reduction with a slight release of the shutter button as well as the inadvertent photo snap.. Using back button makes it much more easier to lock focus and re compose.
Good point. I forgot that there is such a thing as not using back button focus.

Using that means I only press the shutter down to take the shot - no half press or anything.
03-07-2020, 04:08 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks Oldbayrunner. I'll try using the back AF button and see if that works for me.
03-07-2020, 06:42 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Using that means I only press the shutter down to take the shot - no half press or anyth
One still uses still half press to enact shake reduction.

Thanks Oldbayrunner. I'll try using the back AF button and see if that works for me.
Along with that you may find setting your AF mode to AF.C fairs really good for all around use with back button AF.
03-07-2020, 08:24 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
One still uses still half press to enact shake reduction.
On KP and K-1 Back Button AF instantaneously engages SR without touching the shutter release.
03-08-2020, 06:26 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
On KP and K-1 Back Button AF instantaneously engages SR without touching the shutter release.
Ok here's what I know about it. Correct depressing the back AF button focuses and enacts the shake reduction as long as the back AF button remains depressed. However if you release the back AF button to lock the focus and recompose the shake reduction is released. Once auto focus is locked and the back AF button is released then half pressing the shutter button once again enacts and holds the shake reduction until it is released.
03-08-2020, 07:03 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Makes sense. Nice to know.