Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2020, 04:47 AM   #1
Pentaxian

K1 or FF mirrorless for manual lenses

Hi all, another lovely this/that question for the brains trust

Currently, I'm mostly a film shooter. Pentax is my main 35mm system (MX, LX, SV, SP-F) and I've built up a collection of lenses that includes some of the nicest Takumar, SMC-K and SMC-M glass. However, with time and GAS I've also accumulated some decent lenses across a bunch of other systems (Rokkor, OM Zuiko, Nikkor, Voigtlander VM and Leitz)...

I'm pondering getting a full frame body to give these lenses a digital home* (actually I've been pondering this for years...), and I've come to these two options:

1) Pentax K-1 (probably MkII)

2) FF mirrorless (probably Nikon Z6)

The K1 is my preference for the Pentax glass. I like Pentax build and ergonomics, and being able to use these lenses with an optical finder is a big selling point. For a bunch of reasons I also have an emotional attachment to the brand. The downside is that I would only be able to use it with my Pentax glass...

The Z6 (or equivalent) gives the opportunity to adapt all of my lenses, and also provides all the fancy manual focussing aids that comes with a good EVF. However, it is an EVF, which is fine, but doesn't excite me, and I haven't found a FF mirrorless body that feels as good in the hand as a K1.

Which direction would you go?

*For what it's worth, I currently shoot digital with an Olympus Pen-F and Zuiko 60mm Macro. However, I've developed this kit almost exclusively to shoot native orchids, and it doesn't impact the decision above. I'll be keeping the kit but I'm not interested in investing further in Micro Four Thirds, or using it to adapt legacy lenses.

Pentax P0rn for attention

04-19-2020, 05:12 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It sounds like you should be getting something that can with adapters use all your glass.

EVF or OVF is pretty much a 50/50 saw off at the moment everywhere but for Pentax. What you'd prefer to use is anyone's guess, but you're in the best position to decide.

For myself onceI got into the convenience of AF, I didn't use my MF lenses much. But you sound like you're pretty committed to MF glass. So, I'm not really the guy to say a whole lot. We need BIgMackCam or pinholecam to drop in.

Last edited by normhead; 04-19-2020 at 06:56 AM.
04-19-2020, 05:12 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For versatility in mounting a range of lenses of different mounts, mirrorless is the way to go because the short registration distance allows easy adaptability with cheap adapters. On the pentax it's just PK and M42, (with possibilities for OM, CY, Niikon F... via Leitax mount or multimount if the latter is still going).
Photographically, an EVF is more convenient for quick and easy magnified focus assist.
04-19-2020, 05:13 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you one body that will work with all of your lenses, FF mirrorless is the way to go. There are adapters for just about any mirrorless body to just about any full frame 35mm SLR lens.

Incidentally, you can even use a medium format mirrorless camera such as the Fujifilm GFX series with such lenses. It's a bit of pot luck but it looks like fun. Some lenses will vignette, others won't. The big selling point, apart from more pixels, is less depth of field.

https://photographylife.com/reviews/fotodiox-nikon-to-fuji-g-mount-adapter

04-19-2020, 06:04 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I do agree with both marcusBMG and Wasp opinions above.

I just want to share a bit about my experience with Nikon Z6 (I used it for almost 1 year before selling it):
- Nikon Z6 color profile is different compared to Pentax, even it is slightly different compared to my previous Nikon Df (sold as well). You might need to check it out first whether it is to your liking.

- Ergonomically Nikon Z6 is quite nice (as far as I can remember) and it is lighter than Pentax K1 Mk2 but still my pinky finger couldn't rest well, I wished the body could be just a bit taller. With K1 Mk2, my grip is solid.
- Nikon Z6 (and Z7) battery grip is a dummy and only provide extra battery, reason being: no electronic contact in the camera body for battery grip. You need to manage your expectation here.

- Nikon Z6 EVF is very nice, best EVF I have ever used (I have tried Panasonic G9, few Olympus M43 bodies as well) but I experienced occasional false focus from its focus peaking. There is a menu to set the focus peaking, I tried to play with standard and high but still had the same issue. Your mileage may vary though.

Having said that, Nikon Z6 is a good camera, provided it is just the first mirrorless iteration from Nikon. Good luck for any direction that you choose!
04-19-2020, 06:51 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks or too he responses everyone, some interesting thoughts.

A couple of comments to clarify my original questions. First of all, I’m very familiar with mirrorless, EVF’s and adapting lenses (I’ve been a mirrorless shooter since the GH2...). I just haven’t bought in to full frame mirrorless.

Second, my lens kit is heavily biased towards Pentax. Amongst others I have the S-M-C Tak 20/f4.5, Super Tak 50/f1.4 8-element, and the SMC-K quartet of 28/f2, 50/f1.2, 85/f1.8 and 135/f2.5. While I have nice lenses from other systems, the exotic stuff is all Pentax. I guess my point is that while I’m curious about using all of it on digital, the primary reason I’m jumping in the pond is to use the Pentax stuff.

---------- Post added 04-19-20 at 11:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by davidhartanto Quote
I just want to share a bit about my experience with Nikon Z6 (I used it for almost 1 year before selling it):
- Nikon Z6 color profile is different compared to Pentax, even it is slightly different compared to my previous Nikon Df (sold as well). You might need to check it out first whether it is to your liking.
Thanks for your thoughts! FWIW I haven’t shot Pentax digital since the K20d, so I’m certainly not invested in the Pentax colour profile
04-19-2020, 06:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Thanks or too he responses everyone, some interesting thoughts.

A couple of comments to clarify my original questions. First of all, I’m very familiar with mirrorless, EVF’s and adapting lenses (I’ve been a mirrorless shooter since the GH2...). I just haven’t bought in to full frame mirrorless.

Second, my lens kit is heavily biased towards Pentax. Amongst others I have the S-M-C Tak 20/f4.5, Super Tak 50/f1.4 8-element, and the SMC-K quartet of 28/f2, 50/f1.2, 85/f1.8 and 135/f2.5. While I have nice lenses from other systems, the exotic stuff is all Pentax. I guess my point is that while I’m curious about using all of it on digital, the primary reason I’m jumping in the pond is to use the Pentax stuff.
In that case, I would certainly lean towards getting the K-1, and then if you want to use your other glass on mirrorless, just live with a smaller sensor...

04-19-2020, 07:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

If the full frame is just for manual lenses you should really try and hold the various cameras. I know you mentioned the EVF, but FWIW i like using the live view for focusing, because I can zoom in and not have to take off my glasses. The weight of the K-1 makes this not so convenient. I also like the tilt screen systems because it's easier for me to line up my shot. i'm in somewhat of the same boat as you, and thinking of a full frame mirrorless probably a used Sony.I do use my M4/3 GX9 a lot with adapted lenses and it works fine, just not for swirly bokeh lenses.
04-19-2020, 07:45 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi all, another lovely this/that question for the brains trust

Currently, I'm mostly a film shooter. Pentax is my main 35mm system (MX, LX, SV, SP-F) and I've built up a collection of lenses that includes some of the nicest Takumar, SMC-K and SMC-M glass. However, with time and GAS I've also accumulated some decent lenses across a bunch of other systems (Rokkor, OM Zuiko, Nikkor, Voigtlander VM and Leitz)...

I'm pondering getting a full frame body to give these lenses a digital home* (actually I've been pondering this for years...), and I've come to these two options:

1) Pentax K-1 (probably MkII)

2) FF mirrorless (probably Nikon Z6)

The K1 is my preference for the Pentax glass. I like Pentax build and ergonomics, and being able to use these lenses with an optical finder is a big selling point. For a bunch of reasons I also have an emotional attachment to the brand. The downside is that I would only be able to use it with my Pentax glass...

The Z6 (or equivalent) gives the opportunity to adapt all of my lenses, and also provides all the fancy manual focussing aids that comes with a good EVF. However, it is an EVF, which is fine, but doesn't excite me, and I haven't found a FF mirrorless body that feels as good in the hand as a K1.

Which direction would you go?

*For what it's worth, I currently shoot digital with an Olympus Pen-F and Zuiko 60mm Macro. However, I've developed this kit almost exclusively to shoot native orchids, and it doesn't impact the decision above. I'll be keeping the kit but I'm not interested in investing further in Micro Four Thirds, or using it to adapt legacy lenses.

Pentax P0rn for attention
I think if I were in your shoes I would lean toward the Nikon Z6, as long as there is no need for the K-1's 36MP. From what I've read, the Z6 has a very nice EVF, and it is larger than the K-1's OVF. I'd imagine the NIkon would also provide better exposure options with fully manual lenses, if that is important to you.
04-19-2020, 11:52 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What kind of stuff do you shoot?

Are you a "slow" shooter, toting about with a tripod and doing contemplative landscapes? If so, the FF mirrorless is a no brainer.

However, if you like to shoot more quickly, then futzing about with adapters may slow you down and could contribute to missed shots.
04-19-2020, 02:44 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

Thanks for your thoughts! FWIW I haven’t shot Pentax digital since the K20d, so I’m certainly not invested in the Pentax colour profile
If the K-20D is your reference, mine was never used after I bought my K-5. It's was not a whole lot like anything K-5 or newer.

If you are planning to shoot Pentax lenses just stick with Pentax.

The Z6 with $2600, The K-1 mkII is $2500.

OK I must be suffering from Canadian prices.

From B&H Z6 $1800 vs $1700 for Pentax Mk 2.
The Pentax K-1 is rated at 96 by DxO
The Z6 is rated as 95.

The Z6 has less dynamic range. It has less MP, it has more frame rate at 12 fps, but that's to be expected with a lower MP count and less data being through put.

No need for the K-1's 36 MP for landscape? What the heck else would you use it for? It's field camera? I use it only for landscape. My K-3 is my action camera.

Sometimes you guys seriously make me question your analytic skills. Made harder in that you don't explain yourselves.
You just fire out an assumption and leave it hanging there, unsupported, with no technical references. Seriously.

So, here would be my response, the K-1 is going to be better a landscape camera based on resolution and dynamic range. What have you got as a response? And on tripod with live view, I'm not sure what advantage a Z6 could possibly have.
04-19-2020, 06:29 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I think if I were in your shoes I would lean toward the Nikon Z6, as long as there is no need for the K-1's 36MP. From what I've read, the Z6 has a very nice EVF, and it is larger than the K-1's OVF. I'd imagine the NIkon would also provide better exposure options with fully manual lenses, if that is important to you.
Pixels isn't a consideration, either 24 or 36 would be more than enough...

QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
What kind of stuff do you shoot?

Are you a "slow" shooter, toting about with a tripod and doing contemplative landscapes? If so, the FF mirrorless is a no brainer.

However, if you like to shoot more quickly, then futzing about with adapters may slow you down and could contribute to missed shots.
Given I've been mostly using manual, mechanical, meter-less film cameras for the last 5-6 years I'd say yes, I'm firmly in the 'slow shooter' category Zero interest in fancy AF and FPS... I shoot all sorts, but the favourites are landscape, street (given the opportunity) and travel (given the opportunity).

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If the K-20D is your reference, mine was never used after I bought my K-5. It's was not a whole lot like anything K-5 or newer.
K20D was the last digital Pentax I owned. I've had the opportunity to use the K7, K3 and K1 on occasion, although not extensively.

QuoteQuote:
The Z6 with $2600, The K-1 mkII is $2500.

OK I must be suffering from Canadian prices.

From B&H Z6 $1800 vs $1700 for Pentax Mk 2.
I'm in Aus, so our prices are about the same as Canada (couple of hundred more for the Z6 but much of a muchness).

QuoteQuote:
The Pentax K-1 is rated at 96 by DxO
The Z6 is rated as 95.

The Z6 has less dynamic range. It has less MP, it has more frame rate at 12 fps, but that's to be expected with a lower MP count and less data being through put.
As touched on above, sensor performance isn't really a consideration. I've seen enough samples and played with enough raw files to know that any of the current (or close to current) FF sensors is going to provide enough performance to keep me happy.

QuoteQuote:
No need for the K-1's 36 MP for landscape? What the heck else would you use it for? It's field camera? I use it only for landscape. My K-3 is my action camera.
As mentioned in the OP, main interest in the K1 is the optical finder, ergonomics and ability to mount my Pentax glass natively. Main interest in the Z6 is versatility (re. adapting glass) and size.

QuoteQuote:
Sometimes you guys seriously make me question your analytic skills. Made harder in that you don't explain yourselves.
You just fire out an assumption and leave it hanging there, unsupported, with no technical references. Seriously.
Not sure what this is in reference to?

QuoteQuote:
So, here would be my response, the K-1 is going to be better a landscape camera based on resolution and dynamic range. What have you got as a response? And on tripod with live view, I'm not sure what advantage a Z6 could possibly have.
As above, Z6 can mount my non-Pentax lenses. K1 can't.

Thanks for your thoughts!
04-19-2020, 06:47 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You are mostly a film shooter now and have chosen to do your work with 35mm SLRs. Is there a reason why you don't do 35mm rangefinders or medium format film? The answers may provide some guidance in regards to what direction you go with digital. Beyond that, other big questions might be how you get on with an EVF and how well adapted lenses work on the mirrorless of choice.

Steve
04-19-2020, 07:00 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

As above, Z6 can mount my non-Pentax lenses. K1 can't.
QuoteQuote:
The source of my confusion..... and probably yours.

The whole thing comes down to how much do you want to use your non-pentax glass. If you're just using Pentax glass, the K-1 is a no brainer. If you want to use all your glass go for the Nikon. That eliminates a number of otherwise seemingly irrelevant variables.
04-19-2020, 09:33 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You are mostly a film shooter now and have chosen to do your work with 35mm SLRs. Is there a reason why you don't do 35mm rangefinders or medium format film? The answers may provide some guidance in regards to what direction you go with digital. Beyond that, other big questions might be how you get on with an EVF and how well adapted lenses work on the mirrorless of choice.

Steve
Welllll actually... I also have an M2 with a couple of lenses and and a Hasselblad 6x6 kit for times when a big neg is called for. I like to mix it up, but Pentax was where I started out and it’s the most mature lens collection I have.