Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2020, 03:44 PM   #1
Forum Member

problems USB connection in K1II

Hello everybody,
I am trying to use my Pentax K1II while connected to a Macbook pro but I have problems. When the laptop is USB connected the K1 goes dead them, after I disconnect the macbook I get a screen in the camera that says card not formatted, I format it and try again bay same results. This in bot USB connection modes.
Am I doing something wrong or there is a problem with the camera or this is "normal?"
I do not have a tethering program nor use Lightroom so I just would like to connect the computer to the camera and shoot photos and look at them as soon as they are taken.
Thank you.

04-24-2020, 04:36 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You need to use a tethering program if you want to view the images as they are taken.

In standard usb mode, did you "eject" the volume prior to disconnecting the cable? If not, this could corrupt the data.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-24-2020, 05:04 PM   #3

The Mac finder writes system files to drives and these sometimes cause the camera to detect the card is not formatted. If you have copied all your files off the card format it in camera or better yet format it out of the camera with SD Formatter.

SD Memory Card Formatter - SD Association

To prevent finder from corrupting your card you may need to set it to write protect before connecting to the Mac.

And as Adam said be sure to eject the card/drive from the OS (finder) before disconnecting or turning off the camera.
04-24-2020, 05:52 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

As noted above, the problem is corruption of the card's file system. The solution is to reformat with the utility from the SD association followed by an in-camera format. Never use the format command on your Mac. The prevention is to always eject before turning off the camera or removing the card from a card reader.

Steve

04-24-2020, 06:56 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you, I think I ejected as usually do, but I will double check. Thanks again
04-24-2020, 08:21 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sevilla Quote
Thank you, I think I ejected as usually do, but I will double check. Thanks again
The other thing is to make sure your battery charge is adequate. If voltage drops and the camera shuts down, the card may be corrupted.

Steve
04-24-2020, 09:38 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is from the K3 II manual, not sure if the K1 is the same....

Attached Images

04-25-2020, 06:46 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stihlmania Quote
This is from the K3 II manual, not sure if the K1 is the same....
Thank you. So as I found the comera goes dead when connected to a computer. No good and no tethering app for the K1II.
04-25-2020, 09:08 PM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thank you. So as I found the comera goes dead when connected to a computer. No good and no tethering app for the K1II.
Well...the camera is not supposed to go dead just because it is connected via USB nor should it go dead just because the card is corrupted. I can only think of a few possibilities:
  • The camera battery is not fully charged
  • The cable is bad
  • The cable is not the correct type
Let's look at the last item first. By any chance are you using the same cable that came with your K-5II (Pentax I-USB7)? If so, the connector is not the required USB micro B for the K-1ii. The connector end should look like the one labeled "micro B" at center bottom in the diagram below and should have five contacts:

The incompatible cable from the K-5II looks like the diagram below and has eight contacts:

Not the correct cable

If you are sure the cable is correct, does it work with devices other than your camera?

Steve
04-26-2020, 12:25 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

No good and no tethering app for the K1II.
There are a few programs that will do K-1 tethering (or near-tethering) on Mac, like:

Image Sync / APP / DOWNLOAD / SUPPORT | RICOH IMAGING

PENTAX Tethered Capture Plug-in for Adobe® Photoshop® Lightroom®(Simple Version) for Macintosh | RICOH IMAGING

And for Windows, this is nice option:

Wifi Commander for Pentax - wireless remote control for your Pentax camera
04-26-2020, 04:52 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With the proper USB 3 cable, I have not tried a USB 2 cable yet, [ and with, very importantly, a known good cable!! ] my K-3 II with sync and download raw and jpg images to Photos on my 2017 IMac, no issues. But the camera does not function as a camera if you are attempting to use it when synced with the cable. You must eject disc, shut off camera then remove cable, turn camera back on and then its a camera again.
04-27-2020, 06:06 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
The manual clearly stated that the camera does not work when connected to a computer via USB. not sure what other brands do but this is a shame.
04-27-2020, 09:13 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The manual clearly stated that the camera does not work when connected to a computer via USB. not sure what other brands do but this is a shame.
What manual are you using? I have the English version of the K-1ii user guide open in front of me and it gives detailed instructions on page 94 and page 95 for both connecting the camera as an external drive (MSC mode) or tethered (PTP mode using Image Transmitter 2 software). The same PTP instructions also apply to available Lightroom plugins.

If your camera is crashing when attempting USB, you either have a bad cable, the wrong cable (don't use the one from your K-5II), a damaged camera fitting, are not plugging into the correct camera port (HDMI perhaps?), are attempting with a low or bad battery,* or have a hardware issue with your camera. You may also have a bad card, but that would not cause the camera to crash.

If you are sure your cable is correct and good and that you are properly attached and that a power/battery problem is not present? If so, a service visit might be appropriate.

Steve

* USB connection can be a power drain and should only be done with a fully charged battery or the AC adapter.
05-01-2020, 11:20 AM   #14
Forum Member

Which version of the MacBook Pro and MacOS do you use?

The K-1 and K-1 II use only USB 2.0. I experienced strange behaviour with USB 3.0 cables in the past (Tethering, iMac 20").