Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2020, 05:31 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K-1 ii electronic shutter

Hi,

Am interested in getting a used K-1 ii at some point. The main use would be microphotography (both on a stereo scope and on a compound). In this use, it is very important to get rid of vibrations caused by mirror and shutter movements. My question is: how well is the electronic shutter implemented in the K-1 ii compared to the Pentax KP? I would prefer full frame format but the electronic shutter issue is perhaps even more important. Any insights on this?

04-26-2020, 05:47 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've used my K-1 on a stereo microscope without much difficulty. I put it in Live View mode and use the electronic shutter.
04-26-2020, 07:16 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ok, thanks. So the K-1 has the exact same functionality through a firmware upgrade? That means the original K-1 just took spot number 1 on my list. Seems that used ones are available at the same price as a new KP or even lower.

Will have to look into what are the real remaining differences (post that firmware upgrade) between K-1 and K-1 mkII. I guess the new processing unit and movement-tolerant pixel shift?
04-26-2020, 07:22 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If your main use is microscopy and you aren't doing action-shots, then the K-1 is probably a steal. I never bothered to send my K-1 in for the electronics upgrade package. It's full frame, and depending on the microscope's circle of illumination, may be better for you. I prefer the larger field.

04-26-2020, 07:24 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Electronic shutters have issues with subject movement in the K-1 series since the time to read out the image doesn't correlate to the dialed-in "shutter" speed (the readout time of the rolling shutter is pretty slow) and can create image artifacts when a subject moves. For still subjects, they excel at keeping vibrations to a minimum. I use Liveview and ES for my telephoto shots (K-1 and 500mm+) and it works very well (with the added feature of magnified focusing), but those are basically static shots. I imagine that for most micro-shots, either the K-1 or the K-2mII would meet your needs for providing low vibration shots.
04-26-2020, 08:59 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rorschach Quote
Ok, thanks. So the K-1 has the exact same functionality through a firmware upgrade? That means the original K-1 just took spot number 1 on my list. Seems that used ones are available at the same price as a new KP or even lower.

Will have to look into what are the real remaining differences (post that firmware upgrade) between K-1 and K-1 mkII. I guess the new processing unit and movement-tolerant pixel shift?
I found the autofocus of the K1 II more capable of following moving objects. The low light ability is amazing as well. I use the electronic shutter for long lens shots of things very far away where the slightest vibration can cause a problem.
04-26-2020, 09:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Just attach some modern MILC with fully electronic shutter into the scope. If they are good for something, it is precisely that. It is kind of mind blowing that nothing vibrates with zero sound. K-1 has EFCS, not fully electronic shutter. Pixel-Shift does four exposures in series with fully electronic shutter but that possibility is not given for normal exposures. So, in theory K-1 has fully electronic shutter for single exposures - just extract one of the four out of the pixel shift stack.

04-26-2020, 12:50 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
If your main use is microscopy and you aren't doing action-shots, then the K-1 is probably a steal. I never bothered to send my K-1 in for the electronics upgrade package. It's full frame, and depending on the microscope's circle of illumination, may be better for you. I prefer the larger field.

Sounds good. I am going to use the camera on a few top-quality Wild stereos, which include a M3Z with a PlanApo objective and the special carrier for axial viewing (thus changing the stereo into an macroscope). These and their photoports, tubes and projection lenses have all been optimized for 35mm, so full frame is better. Even more so with the compound system which I am building: it's an super-widefield Leitz Orthoplan (Leitz Orthoplan. Universal Largefield Research Microscope.). Keeping the same magnification in the light path for the camera as seen in the eyepieces and keeping these parfocal is important. So yes, I prefer full frame.

---------- Post added 26th Apr 2020 at 22:54 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Electronic shutters have issues with subject movement in the K-1 series since the time to read out the image doesn't correlate to the dialed-in "shutter" speed (the readout time of the rolling shutter is pretty slow) and can create image artifacts when a subject moves. For still subjects, they excel at keeping vibrations to a minimum. I use Liveview and ES for my telephoto shots (K-1 and 500mm+) and it works very well (with the added feature of magnified focusing), but those are basically static shots. I imagine that for most micro-shots, either the K-1 or the K-2mII would meet your needs for providing low vibration shots.
Subject movement won't often be a problem, although sometimes the specimens are alive.

I've used scopes, particularly stereos, for my work for a couple decades. They have become an important hobby as well, both the instruments themselves and what you can use them for. It's great to be able to combine photography with a Pentax and the scopes

---------- Post added 26th Apr 2020 at 22:56 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I found the autofocus of the K1 II more capable of following moving objects. The low light ability is amazing as well. I use the electronic shutter for long lens shots of things very far away where the slightest vibration can cause a problem.
Thanks. Autofocus isn't very high on my list of priorities so I think I'll be ok with K1 I.

---------- Post added 26th Apr 2020 at 22:59 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Just attach some modern MILC with fully electronic shutter into the scope. If they are good for something, it is precisely that. It is kind of mind blowing that nothing vibrates with zero sound. K-1 has EFCS, not fully electronic shutter. Pixel-Shift does four exposures in series with fully electronic shutter but that possibility is not given for normal exposures. So, in theory K-1 has fully electronic shutter for single exposures - just extract one of the four out of the pixel shift stack.
Those are one option, sure. But I'd prefer full frame so that would narrow down the options. Also, I'd like the camera body to serve also as a regular DSLR for general photography and I happen to have a bunch of Pentax lenses...

P.S. Are you still shooting also with a Pentax 645D or have you focused completely on K1?