Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2020, 03:24 PM   #1

Issue switching from SD card 2 to 1

This was a bit odd. I noticed that the photos were only loading onto SD card #2 and so I checked the program settings and even though I had selected the 1-2 option, the #1 was grayed out when I checked which one it was recording to. In the view photos mode, I could of course view the photos that were on SD #2 however when I switched to view SD #1 it of course said no images. The only way to get it to use SD #1 when shooting was to remove SD #2 and turn the K-1 on forcing it to use SD #1 and then reinserting SD #2, then when I turned the camera back on it then had SD #1 selected and I could select between both cards after that. I had also removed and reinserted the cards a few times, but that too did not fix the problem. Turning the camera off then on also had no affect. Changing the film format RAW JPEG etc also had no affect.

I don't know if you followed that, but basically it would not allow me to select SD #1, grayed out and all photos were being recorded on SD #2. The SD #1 was grayed out in the menus. The only way to fix it was to force it to read SD #1 after removing SD #2, thereafter SD #1 was no longer grayed out. Now, it seems to work normally.

I could have missed it, but did not find other threads concerning this issue.

05-04-2020, 06:43 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
That is the only way I have been able to get it to work. Take Card 2 Out and turn the camera on to force it to use Card 1.
05-04-2020, 07:01 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I recently experienced exactly the same thing with my K-1! I’ve had mine for over three years....strange that this is happening just now.
05-04-2020, 07:19 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is (unfortunately) by design. Could be something about patents, according to rumors.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-04-2020, 07:27 PM   #5
Closed Account

Hi folks, this has been an issue on all the 2 card slot Pentax cameras. If the card in slot 1 is removed and the camera is turned on, the default setting is to use the card in slot 2 as the 1st card used. Turning off the camera and replacing the card in slot 1 does NOT reset the default. As already noted, the only way to make card 1 the first to fill is to remove the card from slot 2 and turn the camera on. This resets the default to slot 1. Turn the camera off and replace card 2.

We K-3 users were the first to have this issue in 2012. An old thread describes the issue further. Good luck.

Pentax K-3 Dual Slots: Bug? - PentaxForums.com
05-04-2020, 07:50 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yep...it is simply how it works. Thankfully, it is not too hard to figure out what has happened and how to set it back. In case it is not obvious:
  • Turn camera off
  • Pop both cards
  • Put card in slot 2
  • Put card in slot 1
  • Turn camera on
  • Be happy

-- or --
  • Turn camera off
  • Pop card from slot 2
  • Put card back in slot 2
  • Turn camera on
  • Be happy

Steve
05-05-2020, 01:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This confused me when I put two cards in my K-1, I was used to the 645D way of doing things. The D allows either card to be on, off or overflow, with it's own parameters (raw, JPEG, size etc.) selected by dedicated buttons. The only proviso is that one card must always be on.

05-05-2020, 02:34 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Buckeyemikie Quote
I recently experienced exactly the same thing with my K-1! I’ve had mine for over three years....strange that this is happening just now
It will have been happening from when you first got your K1. They all do this.
05-05-2020, 08:42 AM   #9

Original Poster
Card issue

Surprising that this is a known problem. Are there plans to fix this issue?
05-05-2020, 10:20 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Turn camera off Pop both cards Put card in slot 2 Put card in slot 1 Turn camera on Be happy-- or -- Turn camera off Pop card from slot 2 Put card back in slot 2 Turn camera on Be happy
That is not working. Removing and inserting SD cards without turning off/on the K1 doesn't change what SD card slot is selected. For SD1 to become the data destination card, the steps are as follow:
- turn off K1
- remove SD2
- turn on K1 (that forces the camera to select SD1 due to SD2 missing in slot 2)

- turn off K1
- insert SD2
- turn on K1
SD1 is being selected.
05-05-2020, 10:34 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wings Quote
Surprising that this is a known problem. Are there plans to fix this issue?
It's not a problem for most and not really an issue and definitely not a bug. It is what happens when one uses the camera with only one card and then inserts another; the current active card takes precedence. The behavior is logical, just poorly (as in zero) documented*.

The strange thing is how few users have posted on the subject since the K-3 debuted in Fall 2013. I had owned my camera for several years before I discovered that I might want to remember to put both cards in before turning the camera back on.

Steve
05-05-2020, 04:55 PM   #12

Original Poster
It's not a problem for most and not really an issue and definitely not a bug. It is what happens when one uses the camera with only one card and then inserts another; the current active card takes precedence. The behavior is logical, just poorly (as in zero) documented*.
In this case both cards were inserted and it had been working normally before this occurred. This kind of thing should not happen.
05-05-2020, 06:43 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

In this case both cards were inserted and it had been working normally before this occurred. This kind of thing should not happen.
Somebody turned the camera on with only one card inserted. Either that or someone took the card out of the #1 slot with the camera on, closed the card door and then replaced the card in slot #1. If neither was the case, you might want to seek service.

Steve
05-06-2020, 10:11 AM   #14

Original Poster
Somebody turned the camera on with only one card inserted. Either that or someone took the card out of the #1 slot with the camera on, closed the card door and then replaced the card in slot #1. If neither was the case, you might want to seek service.

Steve
I am the only one who operates this camera, but as mentioned previously the issue was solved by forcing the camera to read SD #1. It appears that this is a known problem, but not one that Pentax had addressed. This is a bit odd and IMO the timing of inserting an SD card should not matter.
05-06-2020, 03:31 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I am the only one who operates this camera, but as mentioned previously the issue was solved by forcing the camera to read SD #1. It appears that this is a known problem, but not one that Pentax had addressed. This is a bit odd and IMO the timing of inserting an SD card should not matter.
You are correct that timing does not matter, though sequence does.

From the first report 6 1/2 years ago:

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Pentax K-3 Dual Slots: Bug?
As far as I can tell, the K-3 doesn't have a setting that lets you control which SD slot to save to. It will always go to SD1 and then to SD2 once SD1 fills up, unless you choose to back up or split JPEGs/RAWs/videos (which I'm not doing).

So I found an interesting bug. Steps to reproduce:

1. Insert two cards into the camera then power the camera on
-> SD1 should the shown as the selected card slot
2. Remove the card from SD1 then power the camera on
-> SD2 should be shown as the selected card slot
3. Re-insert a card into SD1 and then power the camera on
-> SD2 will still be shown as the selected card slot
-> There is no way to go back to using SD1 unless you remove SD2

I'm able to reproduce this consistently, and it's already gotten a bit annoying. Is there really no way to force the camera to use SD1 whenever there's a card there? Surely I must be missing something. Otherwise Pentax either (a) needs to fix this behavior or (b) needs to add an option to select which slot to use as the primary slot.
If the K-1 were different, I am pretty sure Adam would have said something in his response above in this thread. There is no way to explicitly choose the default start slot for sequential use using the menus or the control panel in K-3, K-3II, K-1, or K-1ii.* However, the camera does account for the case where writes have rolled over to slot #2 with the full card in slot #1 being swapped out for fresh card (and vice versa).

If you feel this happened spontaneously in the course of general shooting, there may be a problem with the mechanism in slot #1, the contacts in card slot #1, or with the contacts of the card itself.

Steve

* The 645D allows for very flexible settings for each card slot including default for sequential use. The 645Z manual uses wording similar to that for the cameras listed above.

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-06-2020 at 03:42 PM.