Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2020, 04:04 AM   #1
Forum Member

Experienced K1 shutter malfunction

I was using my K1 (upgraded) on a real estate job, on a tripod and bracketing with electronic shutter, when suddenly there was a sort of noisy clank from the shutter and it wouldn't shoot the sequences.
When I turn the camera on the shutter smacks up once or twice, and the same when I turn it off. Doesn't feel good. It won't take photographs.
I'd guess the camera is around 4 years old with around 200k actuations, hasn't had any mechanical issues or ever been dropped, but does have a high shutter count because do a lot of bracketing work.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Guess I will need to send it in to see what the problem is and how big the repair bill will be

05-19-2020, 08:59 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dofmaster Quote
Guess I will need to send it in to see what the problem is and how big the repair bill will be
Yep...something is not right.

Steve
05-19-2020, 11:26 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yup! That's exactly what a busted shutter sounds like. You're great to get 200k out of yours; mine had this exact same situation happen in 2018 at 94k IIRC.

Prepare for a Precision Camera™ experience (if you're in the US)! Mine took 5 weeks (door-to-door) and $353 to repair.
05-19-2020, 01:38 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Your shutter has about 200k actuations "on paper", but if you shoot live view, the real shutter count is bigger (1 shot in live view is the same as 2 shots using OVF). Even the shutter is durable, there are other parts, that can fail. One of them are shutter charge motor.
I had the problem with it after 82000 shutter actuations "on paper". First the shutter stacked on first curtain position, I resolved the problem for a while, then shutter stacked on second curtain position.
The service replaced just shutter charge motor for 450 euros. The shutter was not replaced, because it "was OK".

05-20-2020, 10:18 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
Your shutter has about 200k actuations "on paper", but if you shoot live view, the real shutter count is bigger (1 shot in live view is the same as 2 shots using OVF). Even the shutter is durable, there are other parts, that can fail. One of them are shutter charge motor.
I had the problem with it after 82000 shutter actuations "on paper". First the shutter stacked on first curtain position, I resolved the problem for a while, then shutter stacked on second curtain position.
The service replaced just shutter charge motor for 450 euros. The shutter was not replaced, because it "was OK".
Great. In real estate live view shooting is basically unavoidable because of the need to take large amounts of photos with differing exposures in a short period of time.

Was 450 euros with Fotomaerz in Germany? They do the Ricoh servicing for Germany and a few other countries.
05-20-2020, 10:48 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great. In real estate live view shooting is basically unavoidable because of the need to take large amounts of photos with differing exposures in a short period of time.

Was 450 euros with Fotomaerz in Germany? They do the Ricoh servicing for Germany and a few other countries.
The reason is the shutter has to be open for LV. When you enter LV the shutter opens, so the shutter sequence is:
  1. Open to enter LV
  2. Close to prepare to take the shot
  3. Open to start the exposure
  4. Close to finish the exposure
Then the shutter opens again to prepare to take the next shot, but that counts on the next shot sequence. It’s the first two shutter actions that double the shutter count.

Have thought about using Electronic Shutter or would that cause too much heat?
05-20-2020, 11:37 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The reason is the shutter has to be open for LV. When you enter LV the shutter opens, so the shutter sequence is:
  1. Open to enter LV
  2. Close to prepare to take the shot
  3. Open to start the exposure
  4. Close to finish the exposure
Then the shutter opens again to prepare to take the next shot, but that counts on the next shot sequence. It’s the first two shutter actions that double the shutter count.

Pitty to say, but electronic shutter disables shake reduction that is very good help when you shoot using slower shutter speeds.

---------- Post added 05-20-20 at 09:38 PM ----------

I did servicing in Sweden

05-20-2020, 11:39 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

As I said in the first post in this thread, I was shooting in electronic shutter mode.

(Though normally I don't like to do so, in this case I was using it because I was shooting near other people and wanted to minimise noise.)
05-20-2020, 08:43 PM   #9

I was using my K1 (upgraded) on a real estate job, on a tripod and bracketing with electronic shutter, when suddenly there was a sort of noisy clank from the shutter and it wouldn't shoot the sequences.
When I turn the camera on the shutter smacks up once or twice, and the same when I turn it off. Doesn't feel good. It won't take photographs.
I'd guess the camera is around 4 years old with around 200k actuations, hasn't had any mechanical issues or ever been dropped, but does have a high shutter count because do a lot of bracketing work.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

I’m at 33,000 on my K1 and having the same issues. I have only just started using live view lately, so almost all of those are OV. It happens in both OV and LV. I correct it by pressing shutter release again, which releases the shutter, but fear it will become more bothersome soon.

This is the second thread I’ve seen on this issue lately. And our counts are all over the place, so what gives? I’ve only had my K1 for a couple of years. The answers seems to be spend more money and move on....
05-21-2020, 12:18 AM - 1 Like   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MKohoutek Quote
I’m at 33,000 on my K1 and having the same issues. I have only just started using live view lately, so almost all of those are OV. It happens in both OV and LV. I correct it by pressing shutter release again, which releases the shutter, but fear it will become more bothersome soon.

This is the second thread I’ve seen on this issue lately. And our counts are all over the place, so what gives? I’ve only had my K1 for a couple of years. The answers seems to be spend more money and move on....
I'm not sure that it's the same issue. My camera is unusable, there is a double slap of the shutter and its so violent that it moves the viewfinder.

Like I said, my (nearly four year old) camera is around 200k actuations, plus perhaps 1/3 of these in live view, so that's close to the 300k shutter actuations which the Pentax is rated for. You might hope for more mileage, but Pentax K1 shutter is rated 50% higher than other full frame cameras such as the A7III or the Nikon D850 (300,000 versus 200,000).

I have the A7III and I'm guessing it doesn't have the issue described above where Live view photos double the shutter count. however the Pentax is preferable to use to real estate, essentially just for the 'flex-tilt' display.

If I spend 400 euros and get another four years out of the camera it would be money well-spent.
05-21-2020, 12:45 PM   #11

I'm not sure that it's the same issue. My camera is unusable, there is a double slap of the shutter and its so violent that it moves the viewfinder.

Like I said, my (nearly four year old) camera is around 200k actuations, plus perhaps 1/3 of these in live view, so that's close to the 300k shutter actuations which the Pentax is rated for. You might hope for more mileage, but Pentax K1 shutter is rated 50% higher than other full frame cameras such as the A7III or the Nikon D850 (300,000 versus 200,000).

I have the A7III and I'm guessing it doesn't have the issue described above where Live view photos double the shutter count. however the Pentax is preferable to use to real estate, essentially just for the 'flex-tilt' display.

If I spend 400 euros and get another four years out of the camera it would be money well-spent.
Thanks for the feedback.
07-07-2020, 12:41 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
I received a work cost estimate for around 400 euros for replacing the shutter and some other related work. Should be back in a few weeks.

In the meantime I have been using my Pentax 15-30mm with an adaptor on my Sony A7III. It's been kind of ab interesting experience - there's no aperture control so it's shooting at f16, which is good for real estate since I'm working with a tripod and I can basically set the focus at the start of the shoot and never have to worry about focusing again.

In terms of shooting bracketed real estate shots, the Pentax K1 is much more user friendly than the Sony - the leveller display is much more accurate, the bracketing function works intuitively (there are some problems with Sony), and the tilt screen is amazing. Shooting with the Sony I have found quite difficult because of the lack of super accurate level display. Shooting with a huge lens on an adaptor on a tiny camera is also slightly unwieldy. However the photographs I've been taking are as good as I've ever produced, perhaps because I've had to spend more time over-coming some of these issues
07-07-2020, 05:59 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dofmaster -- fotodiox does make a relatively inexpensive adapter that allows you to control the aperture of your lens -- Pentax K SLR Lens to Sony Alpha E-Mount Camera Body Adapter ? Fotodiox, Inc. USA I have one and it works fine for using pentax k lenses on the sony.
07-07-2020, 12:20 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by travelswsage Quote
dofmaster -- fotodiox does make a relatively inexpensive adapter that allows you to control the aperture of your lens -- Pentax K SLR Lens to Sony Alpha E-Mount Camera Body Adapter ? Fotodiox, Inc. USA I have one and it works fine for using pentax k lenses on the sony.
How does it actually adjust the aperture? is there a mechanical bit that wedges against the aperture control lever?

I have the PK NEX adaptor.