Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35 Likes Search this Thread
06-30-2020, 02:18 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I don't think my limited brain could cope with shooting multiple systems.
I'm with you. When revisiting something I don't do much.... even on the K1... it takes me a while to sus it out again. A bit like sex I guess.

06-30-2020, 04:07 PM - 1 Like   #17
Forum Member

No question the quality of the orchestration of hands on camera details favor Pentax. If you watched the upcoming APS-C video release design group commentary, one can see from the design group leaders that ergonomics are the company's design priority. I just need certain features to catch up with the industry: follow focus, auto contrast focus for video, pixel preference settings, fast autofocus tracking. Never had any difficulty with exposure, rendering, response to camera controls, build quality, etc. Needing a 600mm 4.5 or 5.6 which has silent focus and no barrel movement. Needing 4K with 10 bit color and breakout connectors for off camera recorders, lights, microphones, earphones, monitors, etc. Needing a dedicated cine zoom after they get up to par with others video, as just mentioned.

Some of the Interchangeable lens still cameras that do video lack Pentax build quality (Sony, Canon, Nikon, Fuji -- in that order, are below Pentax in build quality). The smaller formats than full frame and APS-C can do video magic, but lack rendering detail to cross over very well. If Pentax would advance to 10 bit color and strong AF SR 4K or 6K video they would lead the pack.

Last edited by climbmountainway; 06-30-2020 at 04:15 PM.
06-30-2020, 07:48 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I think what you mean is that Ricoh is as advanced as any other camera manufacturer, but they choose to use a few less advanced technologies, in order to meet their product and pricing objectives. The AF system, image processor and USB interface are examples here.

On the other hand, some of their technologies are more advanced than others’, including IBIS and associated features..
Autofocus not up to par as some other manufacturers, number of focus points still less than others, video- lets not go there, live view,
On other hand the lcd screen on the k1, quality of photos,IBIS, ergonomics, little things like led to see lens mount area, number of menu items, etc are excellent. But Pentax is Pentax, and they suit my needs perfectly.

The media...Pentax will never get a fair shake. Reviews comparing other cameras and lenses are usually not comparing apples to apples, comparing graphical results are sometimes not even accurate, some reviewers even tell us their bias up front for 5 minutes before they even start the review, stores will usually not stock or even mention Pentax-even when it is on display in their store!

I just don’t pay attention anymore. This forum and a couple others give me the necessary info I need - ie learning about aperture block, shutter on 645D, etc. And all those reviewers and posters that keep posting that Pentax is about to disappear- now they have more to worry about other big names being in big goancial trouble.

Long live Pentax and Pentaxians!
07-05-2020, 08:35 AM - 3 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VSTAR Quote
The media...Pentax will never get a fair shake.
In general I agree that Pentax does not receive fair treatment from most sites/publishers, in particular those who have something more profitable to sell, benefit from advertising, and/or are run by technology-focused self-taught "journalists" for whom "the latest" rhymes with "the greatest".

There are exceptions, though. For instance "Imaging-Resource" has written glowing articles about Pentax cameras. They are part of the reason why I got a K100D, my first Pentax camera. Their writers are of the rare kind that see beyond some "not ticking the boxes" and appreciate Pentax cameras for what they are meant to be.

Mike Johnston, the "Online Photographer", has also written very favourably about Pentax, lenses, in particular.

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Do you prefer your Pentax K-1 to your other non-Pentax cameras? If so, why?
The K-1 is my absolute favourite. It has a fun factor that is difficult to describe. It handles so well, affords such effortless control over the camera's functionality, and has a very nice, lens-stabilising heft.

Last edited by Class A; 07-05-2020 at 09:33 AM.
07-19-2020, 02:02 AM - 1 Like   #20

My Pentax K-1 is probably my preferred camera, and I used it for travel, events, social occasions. Great quality with great ergonomics. Everything is easily accessible under the fingers.

I shoot a lot of street photography. For that I started in 2009 with a film camera, the Zeiss Ikon. Great camera with a great viewfinder. I damaged the viewfinder 18 months ago, and while I was waiting for it to be fixed stumbled upon a well used Leica M240 at a good price with warranty. While it's the right tool for street, it's an average camera at best: the viewfinder is small (the Zeiss Ikon's viewfinder is so much bigger/brighter), and the ergonomics are not well thought through.

I also shoot track and field when we have team competitions. I used my K5-II initially and got decent results, but then tried a Nikon D500 with a 70-200 f4. And for that task, the Nikon is just ace. But the Nikon doesn't get used unless I am shooting sports or need two cameras (K-1 with wide/normal lens and D500 with 70-200) for an event.
07-20-2020, 07:28 AM   #21
Veteran Member

In June I looked for reasonably priced 645Z bodies locally and a bit on Ebay but could not find any. Then I decided to buy a used GFX50R and adapt Pentax 645 lenses instead. Well, after a ~month I'm both happy with the results and quite annoyed about the usability of the Fuji. Ergonomics wise my K-1 bodies just walk over the GFX. GFX50S could be closer to K-1 experience but they cost too much for a secondary camera system.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 07-20-2020 at 06:00 PM. Reason: masked profanity removed.
07-21-2020, 03:28 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice discussion.

I like using different bodies about as well as I do different lenses. Sometimes even Pentax lenses on my M43 bodies (harder to go the other way). Some of the bodies are quite old (2010?) and yet they all work. In fact the differences are not nearly as great as all the blather would lead one to believe; as long as they've got a shutter button and can get the image to my computer they work great.

But I do appreciate using an optical viewfinder at times; I think Pentax is right about that. I love my EVF cameras too, but sometimes it's just a nicer experience to use it.

It reminds me of my car friends. They're all gearheads, and while they'll certainly argue one is better than another for certain things, etc, they all love them all. They'd take ANYTHING out there onto the track, even a lawnmower. I sometimes wish we had the forum equivalent of a LeMons race: you could only post pictures if the camera + lens cost say $100US or less. Force everyone back to basics.

05-03-2021, 08:57 AM   #23
KSB

Agreed

I just came back to the K-1 as well.. Not going to leave it again !!

Nice flickr group by the way !!!
05-03-2021, 12:57 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
In general I agree that Pentax does not receive fair treatment from most sites/publishers, in particular those who have something more profitable to sell, benefit from advertising, and/or are run by technology-focused self-taught "journalists" for whom "the latest" rhymes with "the greatest".
Pentax has lost almost its entire dealer network in the U.S. And I am pretty sure it wasn't all the camera dealers' fault. I hear rumors that Pentax USA wanted dealers to carry (at the dealer's expense) far more inventory than they thought they could sell. And I am not at all sure that Ricoh has made much effort to rebuild a dealer network outside of B&H and Adorama.
05-04-2021, 12:30 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I must say that I equally like my K-1 and my other cameras :
Pentax 645N, Plaubel Makina 67, Agfa Super Isolette, Leica CL, Press Van, Reflex Beauty, Norita 66 and Noblex 06/150
05-04-2021, 01:36 AM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
I must say that I equally like my K-1 and my other cameras :
Pentax 645N, Plaubel Makina 67, Agfa Super Isolette, Leica CL, Press Van, Reflex Beauty, Norita 66 and Noblex 06/150
That's a bit like when a parent of many kids is asked whether they're proud of one child who's done something special and their reply is that they're proud of all their children.
05-04-2021, 04:48 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
That's a bit like when a parent of many kids is asked whether they're proud of one child who's done something special and their reply is that they're proud of all their children.
But I have no other digital kid to be proud of

Last edited by fs999; 05-04-2021 at 04:59 AM.