Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 81 Likes Search this Thread
07-23-2020, 02:39 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Hiking with a K-1ii

As I've said before, I bought my K-1ii for work (as I needed a FFS) and for its Astrotracer ability. I love it..I absolutely love it. I find it's got every option I could want yet they're all so easy to access. I like it so much that it's rekindled my love of landscape photography; something I've not really done since the days of film (other than with a smart phone). This is the one drawback....it's on the heavy side. It's weatherproof, which is essential where I live, but it is big and heavy. With my 24-70mm lens, I suppose it's only 1kg heavier than, say, a similarly kitted out Fuji XT3, and seeing as I've lost 25kg of my own weight over the past few years, I should be fine lugging about that extra 1kg, but I wondered if anyone else uses their K-1ii on their hikes?

When I say hikes, by the way, I mean 10-15 miles over very hilly terrain (English Lake District and Yorkshire Dales mostly). If so, what tripod do you use? I've got a Manfrotto BeFree Advanced, which is good but I think it struggles with the windy days a bit.

Anyyway, just curious really.

07-23-2020, 02:43 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Yes, with the 150-450 and a couple of short primes. I got the Altas adventure pack, and am very content with my setup.
07-23-2020, 02:49 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It’s all personal preference but I’ve hiked with a lot of gear. You can do it!
07-23-2020, 03:05 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Good - it's nice to know I'm not the only one doing this. I do fancy 70-210 f4 which is probably a minnow compared to the 150-450!

07-23-2020, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by osbourne one-nil Quote
. . . When I say hikes, by the way, I mean 10-15 miles over very hilly terrain (English Lake District and Yorkshire Dales mostly) . . .
as Kipling wrote:

" . . . you're a better man than I am . . . "

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/46783/gunga-din

keep it up
07-23-2020, 03:21 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
as Kipling wrote:

" . . . you're a better man than I am . . . "

Gunga Din by Rudyard Kipling | Poetry Foundation

keep it up
Yeah, my 10 mile+ hikes are going to be rare anymore. When I refer to a hike on weekends its more of the 3-7 mile variety. I think there was one 12 mile hike early last year but otherwise...

EDIT: With all that said my hike a couple weeks ago was about 5 miles, carrying a K1 and Sigma 70-200 on one hip, a K-70 with DFA100 on the other, plus an HD DFA50 and DA12-24 in the bag. I'm north of 65 so you kids should be just fine.

Go on and get out of the house, go play.

Last edited by gatorguy; 07-23-2020 at 03:27 PM.
07-23-2020, 03:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I tend to go with my 150-450 and a few small primes.... 3 or 4 hour bush wanderings more so than power walks.... no tripod though.... normally just using a sling strap.... and maybe a small waist pack (primes and some water etc).... if using a mono pod the waist pack is usefull to put the mono pod foot into so you can still move but have support waiting for a shot (birding etc).... so... a bipedal with monopod into my waste makes me a bimonopedal pod.

Last edited by noelpolar; 07-23-2020 at 04:07 PM.
07-23-2020, 03:30 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I tend to go with my 150-450 and a few small primes.... 3 or 4 hour bush wanderings more so then power walks.... no tripod though.... normally just using a sling strap.... and maybe a small waist pack (primes and some water etc).... if using a mono pod the waist pack is usefull to put the mono pod foot into so you can still move but have support waiting for a shot (birding etc).
I wish I was so patient a shooter as to carry a tripod or even a monopod. I've tried, just can't quite get into that type of shooting as a rule. I have made exceptions, but rare.

I bought a light and compact Sirui just for hiking a few weeks ago, but haven't yet set it up even once. My big Manfroto sits in the studio, used at most a dozen times in the past 5 years. In th past I'd carry a monopod hung on my backpack but it was used perhaps 3 times if that, so it was more added weight without benefit.

Last edited by gatorguy; 07-23-2020 at 03:36 PM.
07-23-2020, 03:32 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

I've done 15+ mile hikes with the K-1. For reference, I'm 52 years old with good legs, bad shoulders, and no major health issues.

I usually don't bring a tripod when I'm hiking that far. If I'm going into dark spots like caves or abandoned buildings, or expect to do a time lapse, I'll bring my Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 tripod attached to my backpack, or a smaller flimsier tripod inside the backpack.

My usual lens setup is the 28-105 on the K-1. That lens is light enough that I can keep the camera strapped to my chest for easy access (like in the advertisement photo below). If I'm on very rough ground, though, the camera goes into my bag because a forward fall would be horrible for my camera and my ribs.

Depending on what I expect on the hike, I might add the 15-30 plus 55-300, or just a Sigma 50-500 by itself when my main goal is wildlife.

07-23-2020, 03:38 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

reality:

me - can I buy this

her - I don't care but I'm not carrying anything

keep up the good work folks
07-23-2020, 03:39 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I've done 15+ mile hikes with the K-1. For reference, I'm 52 years old with good legs, bad shoulders, and no major health issues.

I usually don't bring a tripod when I'm hiking that far. If I'm going into dark spots like caves or abandoned buildings, or expect to do a time lapse, I'll bring my Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 tripod attached to my backpack, or a smaller flimsier tripod inside the backpack.

My usual lens setup is the 28-105 on the K-1. That lens is light enough that I can keep the camera strapped to my chest for easy access (like in the advertisement photo below). If I'm on very rough ground, though, the camera goes into my bag because a forward fall would be horrible for my camera and my ribs.

Depending on what I expect on the hike, I might add the 15-30 plus 55-300, or just a Sigma 50-500 by itself when my main goal is wildlife.
That looks a LOT like my backpack. Osprey? It's the best one I've ever owned. Great in hot weather.
EDIT: I see Manfrotto on that one now. Suppose I could have looked closer to begin with.
07-23-2020, 03:41 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Excellent stuff. Thank you all! I only do long walks so I can eat a massive dinner and have it effectively cost neutral. I like having a tripod as I find it makes me sit and look and slow down a bit...which is something I don’t do enough of.

I’ll try something out tomorrow afternoon/evening and see how I fare.
07-23-2020, 03:46 PM - 8 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I hike with the K-1 with 7 lenses but no tripod (between SR and the high-ISO abilities of the K-1, a tripod is not required and takes too long to deploy when hiking with friends).

Monday's hike was 18 miles, 2,500 feet total elevation change in the Rocky Mountains to up to a glacial valley shown below. Carrying the K-1 can make the arms sore the first few times, but the body adapts to the load fairly quickly.

07-23-2020, 04:00 PM - 12 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A good backpack is essential. I have lugged my gear up some very big hills. This is in Skagway, Alaska. We started from a ship moored in the harbour - so as sea level as it gets - and topped out at about 1200m altitude. The round trip was over 13km.

The Devil's Punchbowl

Yes, I took the KP on this one, but packing the K-1 with the DFA28-105 and a wider option would not have been materially different.
07-23-2020, 04:16 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Great, GREAT shot Sandy with well-conceived composition.