Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 81 Likes Search this Thread
07-23-2020, 04:35 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Mostly the K1 with say 28-105, and 15-30 or 70-200 depending on whether I need wide or long. Perhaps the DA 40 Ltd too, as it's so small.

But if distant wildlife is involved, it might be the K3 with the 150-450 and 28-105.

I rarely feel the need to carry a tripod, but your light levels may be much lower than mine. When I do take one, it's the 3-legged thing Corey, which is very compact.

07-23-2020, 05:10 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
That looks a LOT like my backpack. Osprey? It's the best one I've ever owned. Great in hot weather.
EDIT: I see Manfrotto on that one now. Suppose I could have looked closer to begin with.
Manfrotto Off-Road Hiker 30L. I tried a dozen different bags in-person at REI (outdoor sports store) and B&H before picking that one.
07-23-2020, 05:12 PM   #18
Veteran Member

My favorite hiking set-up is probably the K-1, 24-70 mm, Samyang 12 mm and 60-250 mm. I like to cover a lot of focal lengths when possible. I have the Manfrotto Be-Free Carbon tripod and I don't think I could find one any better without more weight. I've been known to steady the camera and the tripod with my hands when it's windy. I almost always use a back-pack even for short trips as it's just so much easier for me than any other type of bag. And a sling strap too. This topic is making me want to go on a photo hike right now!
07-23-2020, 05:28 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm following this thread as well, I have hiked with aK3/ 150-450 combo as well on a sling strap that I made. Yes it was rather weighty, but still doable, now that I have a K1, I really dont think I will notice the difference, I also had a Lowpro backpack on me as well with several lenses and tripod and other necessities

Last edited by BirdDude007; 07-23-2020 at 05:38 PM.
07-23-2020, 08:02 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For what it's worth, I use a LowePro Flipside 400AW. It carries quite a bit of kit with excellent comfort and easy access without having to take the whole thing off.

I have carried the DFA150-450 in my Peak Design Everyday Backpack on shorter walks in Antarctica. It's a sleek, good looking and useful pack, but for harder hikes I would definitely opt for the LowePro.
07-23-2020, 09:47 PM - 10 Likes   #21

hello
I just came back from french alpes hiking (La Clarée) , 18 km with pentax K1 with an 24-70 and 150-450 with also one tripod.
i carried all this stuff with an f-stop guru ul .
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
07-23-2020, 09:50 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
A good backpack is essential. I have lugged my gear up some very big hills. This is in Skagway, Alaska. We started from a ship moored in the harbour - so as sea level as it gets - and topped out at about 1200m altitude. The round trip was over 13km.

The Devil's Punchbowl

Yes, I took the KP on this one, but packing the K-1 with the DFA28-105 and a wider option would not have been materially different.
Absolutely stunning image. Wow. Just bought a backpack and your photo is motivating me to use it.

Thanks for sharing,
barondla

07-23-2020, 11:25 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by osbourne one-nil Quote
As I've said before, I bought my K-1ii for work (as I needed a FFS) and for its Astrotracer ability. I love it..I absolutely love it. I find it's got every option I could want yet they're all so easy to access. I like it so much that it's rekindled my love of landscape photography; something I've not really done since the days of film (other than with a smart phone). This is the one drawback....it's on the heavy side. It's weatherproof, which is essential where I live, but it is big and heavy. With my 24-70mm lens, I suppose it's only 1kg heavier than, say, a similarly kitted out Fuji XT3, and seeing as I've lost 25kg of my own weight over the past few years, I should be fine lugging about that extra 1kg, but I wondered if anyone else uses their K-1ii on their hikes?

When I say hikes, by the way, I mean 10-15 miles over very hilly terrain (English Lake District and Yorkshire Dales mostly). If so, what tripod do you use? I've got a Manfrotto BeFree Advanced, which is good but I think it struggles with the windy days a bit.

Anyyway, just curious really.
You guys really impress me.
When I go for a long hike in the UK hills I usually make two key adjustments to my K1 full frame kit:
1. Swap the 24-70, 70-200 and 15mm for a trio of small primes...
2. Swap the K1 for my trusty old (lighter) k3 and remove the grip! ��
07-24-2020, 12:23 AM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
Wow - some absolutely stunning shots!

My light levels are probably lower than anyone's. When I look at sunshine hour maps of the world, I'm in the lowest bracket along with the Falkland Islands and Iceland. It makes for some lovely light when the clouds do break and can be very atmospheric but I wouldn't really want to be without a tripod although I might try my monopod this evening and see how I get on. I've got a Peak Design 20L zip thingy which I think I like but a little bit of me wonders if I've been lured in with slick advertising!

I do love my 24-70mm lens and in some ways like being restricted to a single lens (albeit a zoom) as it does make me think a bit more about what I'm shooting, but equally in the hills something longer would sometimes be great. I can see he benefit of a 200mm prime and that would work nicely at night too on star clusters etc.

Some amazing shots by the way - I hope the rain holds off tonight!
07-24-2020, 12:52 AM - 3 Likes   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I wish I was so patient a shooter as to carry a tripod or even a monopod. I've tried, just can't quite get into that type of shooting as a rule. I have made exceptions, but rare.

I bought a light and compact Sirui just for hiking a few weeks ago, but haven't yet set it up even once. My big Manfroto sits in the studio, used at most a dozen times in the past 5 years. In th past I'd carry a monopod hung on my backpack but it was used perhaps 3 times if that, so it was more added weight without benefit.
When I've found some birds I might want to focus on.... I'll take up a position maybe 6 to 8ft away from where I think they might feed to..... when they get there you can't move.... so dfa 150-450 might need to be held in position for an hour waiting to get the shot.... so mono pod works well. Sometimes put my phone with a bird song/call playing (phone app)... at the base of an open tree.... position myself for best light and some birds will fly from bush to bush then get game and investigate....

No monopod

With mono pod

Both wild flighty birds.

I don't bother with camera support for landscape shots.... unless needing longer shutter times off course.

Last edited by noelpolar; 07-24-2020 at 01:10 AM.
07-24-2020, 01:06 AM - 1 Like   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
Are those real birds or have you painted them? I thought our robin was quite jazzy. Great shots!
07-24-2020, 01:47 AM - 2 Likes   #27
Veteran Member

Are those real birds or have you painted them? I thought our robin was quite jazzy. Great shots!
Wish I could paint (or play a piano).... anyway I guess I don't hike.... just sorta disappear for hours and hours in the bush.... I find setting out with goals just a bit too organised for my liking.... my idea of organised is to ... have coffee with me.

Last edited by noelpolar; 07-24-2020 at 01:55 AM.
07-24-2020, 03:08 AM   #28
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
No and yes......... .. j/k

The Flinders Ranges does have a few colourful birds and great scenery.

Dave
07-24-2020, 03:17 AM   #29
Forum Member

Original Poster
My brother has travelled widely and says South Africa was by far his favourite country. Great stuff!
07-24-2020, 03:24 AM - 2 Likes   #30
Closed Account

I think I'd separate things out into hiking and photography. I've walked a lot in the Lakes, Wales and Scotland. I generally carry an SLR with a single lens on in a hip pouch. I don't think I'd go out taking landscapes without a specific purpose and aim in mind having already scouted what i wanted and consulted the Ephemeris, ymmv.

I tend these days to use an Osprey back pack and carry any gear in separate pouches, jjc ones, which fit in around other stuff. I'll also carry stuff on a hip belt, an old CCS one though jjc and others do more modern ones. I've tried one of these blended Lowe packs, camera/rucksack thing. Awful beast, the worst of both worlds so I prefer a normal rucksack.

If I carry a tripod, it's the travel kind, with a hook to hang your bag on for stability. I also keep a Manfrotto MP3 on the bottom of my camera which is a superb little thing but it will only work with a small prime or small tele like the DFA 100 WR, saves balancing your camera on a rock. I don't carry a tripod unless I know I'm going to use it.

I've never found the perfect combo, I don't think there is one. I think most of us have different bags and kit for different purposes and we all have to find what works for us.