Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
08-26-2020, 08:35 PM - 2 Likes   #16
naward001

I’ve used low and high end FF offerings from every major brand (DSLR and MILC) and have recently picked up a second K-1 because it really is an excellent camera, one the best out there for those who don’t have extreme speed requirements. I mostly do landscape/architecture/still-life type work so the K-1’s AF doesn’t bother me at all, I also don’t think that it’s as problematic as some people make it out to be. And as others have stated, if you’re interested in video, well Pentax just isn’t the system for you. All of that being said, I can’t recommend the K-1 enough if you want great still image quality at a good price —especially if you shell out for the D FA* or Limited lenses. Honestly, I’m even impressed with the 28-105mm as a lightweight budget zoom, I bought the original K-1 with it as a kit lens as my introduction to Pentax and have since acquired the exceptional D FA* 50mm and 85mm and will likely soon get the 70-200mm.

08-27-2020, 12:25 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
And 36 megapickles is plenty for me, and my computer.

Here are some. Good appetite to you and your PC.

08-27-2020, 07:22 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cartesio Quote
Here are some. Good appetite to you and your PC.
Looks great.. I love pickles too!
08-27-2020, 01:48 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BCharles Quote
Thanks everyone. I have three Pentax lens’... SMC 50mm f1.7, SMC DA 50-200, SMC 100-300 f4.5-5.6 and a Sigma DC 18-28 f2.8.

My last dilemma is really whether to buy used or just by new and make sure I have the warranty as well as an unused body.

If anyone knows how to get a coupon code for the Pentax website, that would be great.
I paid $1996.95 plus tax for my Pentax K-1 II. The price at B and H for the K-1 II body is $1796.95, plus you get a free padded Pentax camera strap. I would recommend the new camera if it is feasible for you. Below is a shortcut to the B and H listing.

Pentax K-1 Mark II DSLR Camera (Body Only) 15994 B&H Photo Video

10-15-2020, 07:28 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am planning to buy a new K-1, but am debating on waiting until a possible updated "Mark III" version comes out in the next year or so.
Meanwhile, I have a few questions for K-1 owners here after reading owner reviews of both the K-1 and the K-1 II here at Pentax Forums:

1) “shutter shock” was mentioned by one reviewer, who commented that there's a vibration that is noticeable on many of his images (presumably due to the mirror movement affecting the sensor). As I've not heard this much on this Forum or elsewhere, I'm curious as to what other K-1 owners think of this claim.

2) I know that you can set up the second SD card slot to start storing photos once the first card is full, but what happens with video after card 1 is full in the middle of shooting? I'm assuming that the video will just stop, and you have to start shooting the video again (which will then automatically go to the second card), because you'd have to start a new file? I presume that this is in contrast to the next step down from video, which would be continuous-frame shooting, in which it would just continue shooting onto the second card.

3) At least one or two reviews commented on resolution with old film-camera-era lenses, saying that there's a noticeable difference in the old lenses not being very good at the digital resolution of 24- and 36-Mpx sensors. One person actually noted that at best, shooting film is like shooting 8 Mpx in digital, in terms of resolution (I'd like to see a reliable reference for this claim, if anybody knows one). Do others here share this claim of the older Pentax lenses not being very good for fine details in DSLR imaging (especially in the K-1 with 36 Mpx), compared to the new D-FA lenses?

4) One K-1 reviewer mentioned that the port for the cable release was not well designed, and that he has a problem with his cable falling out of the port. From the diagram in the owner manual, it seems that the K-1 port is in the same location as in my K-3 II (and I don't have problems with my cable release falling out). Any other experiences with this in the K-1? Also, it is not stated anywhere here (Pentax Forums) or in the K-1 manual, but is the CS-205 the correct cable release for the K-1? I learned the hard way that the CS-310 cable switch does not work for my K10D or K-3 II cameras (the CS-205 does), and I understand that the CS-310 only works for the K70 and the KP cameras, but that Pentax decided to go back to the CS-205 for the K-1. But I'd like a confirmation of this from K-1 owners.

5) buffering time that is considered too long — where is it noticeable (other than continuous fast shooting)? How long does it take to buffer a 1/125-sec RAW photo vs. JPEG? how about longer exposures like 10 or 30 sec, or 2 min?

6) I would not have remotely guessed from the owner's manual on the topic of "Composition Adjust" that you can splice photos together to simulate medium format, but one reviewer wrote that he can splice four photos in two minutes, presumably referring to processing (buffering) time? Here are his exact words: "In a matter of 2 minutes and 4 shots, flawlessly stitched to post - you can simulate a 46MP, medium-format-ish sensor. Simply shifting the sensor to the 4 corners allows you to cover about 26% more area with a wider FOV and higher resolution from a single perspective with 0 parallax errors or other issues, besides possible vignetting." I see that there are numerous threads here at Pentax Forums on "Composition Adjust", but not one of them talks about simulating a 46-Mpx medium-format sensor like this. I'd be interested in hearing about any other experiences like this.

Thanks!

Last edited by cometguy; 10-15-2020 at 08:18 AM.
10-15-2020, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cometguy Quote
I am planning to buy a new K-1, but am debating on waiting until a possible updated "Mark III" version comes out in the next year or so.
Meanwhile, I have a few questions for K-1 owners here after reading owner reviews of both the K-1 and the K-1 II here at Pentax Forums:

1) “shutter shock” was mentioned by one reviewer, who commented that there's a vibration that is noticeable on many of his images (presumably due to the mirror movement affecting the sensor). As I've not heard this much on this Forum or elsewhere, I'm curious as to what other K-1 owners think of this claim.

2) I know that you can set up the second SD card slot to start storing photos once the first card is full, but what happens with video after card 1 is full in the middle of shooting? I'm assuming that the video will just stop, and you have to start shooting the video again (which will then automatically go to the second card), because you'd have to start a new file? I presume that this is in contrast to the next step down from video, which would be continuous-frame shooting, in which it would just continue shooting onto the second card.

3) At least one or two reviews commented on resolution with old film-camera-era lenses, saying that there's a noticeable difference in the old lenses not being very good at the digital resolution of 24- and 36-Mpx sensors. One person actually noted that at best, shooting film is like shooting 8 Mpx in digital, in terms of resolution (I'd like to see a reliable reference for this claim, if anybody knows one). Do others here share this claim of the older Pentax lenses not being very good for fine details in DSLR imaging (especially in the K-1 with 36 Mpx), compared to the new D-FA lenses?

4) One K-1 reviewer mentioned that the port for the cable release was not well designed, and that he has a problem with his cable falling out of the port. From the diagram in the owner manual, it seems that the K-1 port is in the same location as in my K-3 II (and I don't have problems with my cable release falling out). Any other experiences with this in the K-1? Also, it is not stated anywhere here (Pentax Forums) or in the K-1 manual, but is the CS-205 the correct cable release for the K-1? I learned the hard way that the CS-310 cable switch does not work for my K10D or K-3 II cameras (the CS-205 does), and I understand that the CS-310 only works for the K70 and the KP cameras, but that Pentax decided to go back to the CS-205 for the K-1. But I'd like a confirmation of this from K-1 owners.

5) buffering time that is considered too long — where is it noticeable (other than continuous fast shooting)? How long does it take to buffer a 1/125-sec RAW photo vs. JPEG? how about longer exposures like 10 or 30 sec, or 2 min?

6) I would not have remotely guessed from the owner's manual on the topic of "Composition Adjust" that you can splice photos together to simulate medium format, but one reviewer wrote that he can splice four photos in two minutes, presumably referring to processing (buffering) time? Here are his exact words: "In a matter of 2 minutes and 4 shots, flawlessly stitched to post - you can simulate a 46MP, medium-format-ish sensor. Simply shifting the sensor to the 4 corners allows you to cover about 26% more area with a wider FOV and higher resolution from a single perspective with 0 parallax erros or other issues, besides possible vignetting." I see that there are numerous threads here at Pentax Forums on "Composition Adjust", but not one of them talks about simulating a 46-Mpx medium-format sensor like this. I'd be interested in hearing about any other experiences like this.

Thanks!
1. I've not ever noticed it, nor has it ever affected one of my shots AFAIK. Yes shutter shock is a real thing, but it's not something you're likely to ever see in everyday photography.

2. I don't know. I've never used my DSLR's for video.

3. Some of my most impactful images on the K-1 have been taken with 20 and 30-year old lenses (see signature), and some of the old film era lenses render unique images that modern glass doesn't really replicate well if at all. You'll be fine.

4. I don't know. I use remote triggers (Godox) or the Pentax/Ricoh Image Sync phone app.

5. The only time I've had an issue with buffer delay is with burst shooting. I rarely do long bursts anyway, at most perhaps 3-8 for certain action shots, and those won't be a buffer problem. I can only recall one instance where I had to wait a few seconds for the buffer to clear. A sports photographer might find it clears too slow, but again not something you're likely to experience in day to day shooting.

6. I haven't tried it but I might now since you've mentioned it.

Last edited by gatorguy; 10-15-2020 at 08:13 AM.
10-15-2020, 04:04 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

1) “shutter shock” was mentioned by one reviewer, who commented that there's a vibration that is noticeable on many of his images (presumably due to the mirror movement affecting the sensor)
Shutter shock is caused by the shutter , not the mirror. It affects all cameras to some degree. I only notice it with the K1 and a long footed lens when on a tripod, and only in the 1/60-1/180 range. Use Electronic shutter for those kind of shots and it is eliminated.

The new DFA lenses are excellent, but so too are the great lenses of the past too. I would ignore any claim that says otherwise. Given that the average monitor screen can only display between 1 and 3 MP anyway.

4) One K-1 reviewer mentioned that the port for the cable release was not well designed,
I use wireless remote release.

"Composition Adjust"
Never heard of that being done, interesting. I find that the quality of a single image is extremely good. Never found the need to want for more.

10-15-2020, 06:01 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1) There are several members here who have expressed an issue with this, loudly and often. I have not been able to find any image I have taken that I can say shows this phenomenon. Maybe it affects a small sub-set of cameras or there is some other issue but few people seem to have any problem with it or are even able to see it.

2) I've never used the video function so no help

3) Crappy old film era junk is still crappy old film era junk. Good film era lenses hold up quite well. I have a mix of Pentax-A, Pentax-F, Pentax-FA and DFA lenses and the new modern zooms are in general better than film era zooms. But top end film zoom lenses and most film era primes are excellent on the K-1. And most film era lenses are far smaller and lighter.

4) I have not had any issue with the remote socket. Seems as solid as the one on my K-3II. And yes the C-205 type remotes work. As do most remotes designed for Canon.

5) It isn't noticeable all, unless you are shooting off bursts.

6) That can be done but I question the utility. Seems far simpler to just shoot four frames, moving the camera between and blending the frames in LR or PS. I might be wrong, but this seems to me to be one of those things are that are really cool to do, but have no use in the real world. of course I might be missing something and if so I'm sure someone will let me know
10-16-2020, 11:56 AM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome aboard from another Rochesterian. Well Henrietta.

I have the K1 and the K1-II. It is a superior camera in almost every way. My path was K5, K5-IIs, K3, K1 and K1-II. Once I went full frame the APSc format cameras pretty much sat unused. The two K5's are gone to others.

If you would like to see one in person we could get together and I can let you look at mine. If you handle them you will be hooked and order one immediately. Sort of like the Borg in Star Trek. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. A friend of mine who is a long term Nikon user tried my K1 and absolutely loved it. He did not switch brands because he has a lot invested in his system but was thoroughly impressed with the camera.
10-16-2020, 12:03 PM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
A friend of mine who is a long term Nikon user tried my K1 and absolutely loved it. He did not switch brands because he has a lot invested in his system but was thoroughly impressed with the camera.
I had a Canon guy who had the same opinion. He remembered reading about the K1 over at DPR and wasn't impressed. Now that he used mine for a handful of shots he was VERY impressed. Says he's going to look into it more, tho he's been shooting Canon so long probably nothing will come of it. But he was sincere about the compliments towards the camera.
10-16-2020, 07:39 PM - 1 Like   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Welcome aboard from another Rochesterian. Well Henrietta.

I have the K1 and the K1-II. It is a superior camera in almost every way. My path was K5, K5-IIs, K3, K1 and K1-II. Once I went full frame the APSc format cameras pretty much sat unused. The two K5's are gone to others.

If you would like to see one in person we could get together and I can let you look at mine. If you handle them you will be hooked and order one immediately. Sort of like the Borg in Star Trek. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. A friend of mine who is a long term Nikon user tried my K1 and absolutely loved it. He did not switch brands because he has a lot invested in his system but was thoroughly impressed with the camera.
Hi! I ended up buying it and am reallyliking it. Need a new wide angle lens now though as my other turned out to be only apsc. Maybe we'll catch up!
10-17-2020, 02:52 AM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

6) I would not have remotely guessed from the owner's manual on the topic of "Composition Adjust" that you can splice photos together to simulate medium format, but one reviewer wrote that he can splice four photos in two minutes, presumably referring to processing (buffering) time? Here are his exact words: "In a matter of 2 minutes and 4 shots, flawlessly stitched to post - you can simulate a 46MP, medium-format-ish sensor. Simply shifting the sensor to the 4 corners allows you to cover about 26% more area with a wider FOV and higher resolution from a single perspective with 0 parallax errors or other issues, besides possible vignetting." I see that there are numerous threads here at Pentax Forums on "Composition Adjust", but not one of them talks about simulating a 46-Mpx medium-format sensor like this. I'd be interested in hearing about any other experiences like this.

Thanks!
I don't know about most of the things that you asked about. I would say the shutter shock is more of an issue with Mk I for some reason and is a tripod issue. I generally use the electronic shutter on the tripod (particularly with pixel shift) and haven't seen any issues. The buffer is pretty slow to empty. I use really fast cards and limit the length of my bursts and so it hasn't been a huge issue for me.

As far as older lenses, I own several FA lenses and they are very nice on the K-1 and K-1 II. The big thing is that whatever issues you would see in the corners on film you will see magnified on a 36 megapixel sensor. That and purple fringing are much more pronounced compared to newer lenses designed for digital.

Overall, I have been very pleased with the K-1 and K-1 II cameras and would buy them again in a heart beat if I needed to.
04-19-2021, 09:07 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Used is great. I started with a K-5 used to get me started.

If you like astro, you might want to look at the K-1 and not the K-1 Mk II. Due to the accellerator.

To be honest, I am not sure if the noise reduction the Mk II is good or bad.

I have a Mk1 and Mk2 and most of my primary night sky is on the Mk1 so I handle noise reduction.

The Mk2 is used as my night time timelapse camera.

But then again, once the sun is up, the Mk2 is my primary body.

So I guess you should just buy a few bodies . All depends on what your primary focus is.
04-20-2021, 06:50 AM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SirTomster Quote
Used is great. I started with a K-5 used to get me started.

If you like astro, you might want to look at the K-1 and not the K-1 Mk II. Due to the accellerator.

To be honest, I am not sure if the noise reduction the Mk II is good or bad.

I have a Mk1 and Mk2 and most of my primary night sky is on the Mk1 so I handle noise reduction.

The Mk2 is used as my night time timelapse camera.

But then again, once the sun is up, the Mk2 is my primary body.

So I guess you should just buy a few bodies . All depends on what your primary focus is.
I've had nothing but good experiences buying from other PentaForums members in the Marketplace. We do tend to take care of our stuff for the most part, and those that haven't are usually quite honest about marks, mars, scratches and such. Zero qualms about purchasing used gear from our members who have been around awhile.
04-20-2021, 08:50 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I've had nothing but good experiences buying from other PentaForums members in the Marketplace. We do tend to take care of our stuff for the most part, and those that haven't are usually quite honest about marks, mars, scratches and such. Zero qualms about purchasing used gear from our members who have been around awhile.
Agreed! Have gotten great deals here as well, never a problem.