Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 45 Likes Search this Thread
08-27-2020, 05:53 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mcleoud151 Quote
I'd be happy if I could use this body forever and they'd just update the guts!
Time to lay off the chocolate.
I have the same problem.

08-27-2020, 07:48 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not meaning to add to your temptation, but it has already been revealed in one of the promotional videos that the K-new will be released in both black, and silver editions at the same time.
08-27-2020, 10:11 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I've found the best way to deal with temptation is to give in to it.
I like that philosophy... my wallet wouldn't cope though. My dilemma is K-New or 150-450 lens (I own a K-3ii and a K-1). The 150-450 would be useful for birding and no doubt significantly better than my Bigma. It would also be with me for a lot longer than another camera body, but it'll still be significantly more $ than K-New. I'm curious as to what features will be in the K-New, so I wait... Really I want both, my bank balance says... mate, you can only do one.
08-27-2020, 11:14 PM - 3 Likes   #19
Veteran Member

Resistance is futile.

08-28-2020, 12:13 AM - 1 Like   #20
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
So I was patiently waiting with my trusty K5IIs for the K-new APS-c and along comes the K1-II Silver edition. Talk me off the ledge... I do have a nice balance of Fa and Da lenses.

JJ
I know it's not a popular thing around here, but how 'bout trying to approach this in a rational way? Set up a list with pros and cons, weight them, and see what comes out on top.

Some suggestions:
Size, (relatively) big vs small
Weight, quite heavy vs less so
Price, known vs unknown
Lens inventory, how many good lenses might go out of use? Missing FF lenses?
Use; tele, macro, action, street will probably be better served by the K-new; wide shots, landscapes maybe better with the K-1
Will a flippy screen be useful to you?
Known features vs still unknown (such as the new [probably excellent] viewfinder)
Is FF really inherently better than APS-C?
etc...

Another approach; what are you missing with your K-5 II? Which of the newer bodies can remedy the pain points the most efficiently?

But in reality it all boils down to your degree of "shiny, wants it now"-ness
08-28-2020, 03:30 AM   #21
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I know it's not a popular thing around here, but how 'bout trying to approach this in a rational way?
etc...what are you missing with your [ current gear ]? Which of the [ other camera bodies or lenses ] can remedy the pain points the most efficiently?

true words of wisdom

which I tend to ignore a lot

long live GAS and LBA

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-28-2020 at 03:42 AM.
08-28-2020, 05:06 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

My K3ll with battery is 28.2 oz and my K1 Mkll with battery with battery is 32.6 oz. Personally I really don't find 4 oz to be that much difference to carry. The bigger size fits my hands better, so in comparison I didn't consider the weight and size to be a non purchase factor.

However if one is planning on purchasing some of the newer D-fa full frame lenses then yes be prepared to heft some weight on some of them.

I fought off jumping into the K1 full frame camera when they came out in 2016 telling myself I didn't need it and was completely happy with my K5 lls & K3ll apsc's, which I was..... kinda... At my age the one thing I truly missed coming from my old system years ago was an articulating screen. My satisfaction with my apsc models wasn't enough to make me want to jump into buying newer apsc models just for that. 6 months ago I figured I had enough full frame lenses I was using on my apsc's so my thinking started to change and a deal came along on a new k1 mkll I couldn't refuse so I bit the bullet. From the very first photo shot I knew I had found what I was looking for in a dslr for years. I've sold my K5lls, most of my apsc glass and for now am keeping my seldom used k3ll. Is it different jumping from apsc to full frame...yes, one does have to think a little different and there are times and circumstance I will switch back to using my apsc but for me it's not very often now.......

Everyone has their own reasoning, wants, likes and needs. All I can relay is what my lines of thinking was and say in essence is go with your gut and use your reasoning to justify whether to purchase it or not.

08-28-2020, 09:00 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote
Yep. This pretty much sums it up. I own the K5IIs, the K3 and the K1. To me the K1 (and I'm sure the K1-II) have the soul of the K5IIs. When the K1 hit my hands, it felt like the return on an old friend, something the K3 never quite had, though it's a great camera too.
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Different beasts. If you were indeed lusting for FF and the silver edition does it for you, then that's certainly a worthy upgrade. However,
if you were holding out for an APS-C upgrade then why consider the K1-II? Or do you just have a thing for silver limited editions?
I’m not necessarily holding out, I’ve just always been a late adopter. I held on to my K7 and upgraded to the K5iis once the K3 had launched. As for FF again I wanted to give the K1 a couple iterations before purchasing. I figured the silver edition would be the model for me to finally make the leap.
QuoteOriginally posted by traveler Quote
Which side do you want to fall on?
K-1ii Silver: Only a FF can liberate your FA lenses to do what they were really designed to do. And it is FF; the K-New won't be.
K-New: 2-years newer--the Silver is really 2018 inside. Being silver doesn't make it any better than the camera you haven't bought so far.

Stay on the fence: Wait at least until the full specs of the K-New are released. Then you're not just guessing whether it's worth waiting for. Based on your relationship with the K-5, this is going to be a long term decision as well. So a couple months more is well worth it to be sure you're getting it right.

traveler
I have no issue waiting, however it seems that in the past the silver edition was a stop gap release and when the new models do go up for sale the silver editions conveniently disappear.
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Forget about the camera colors. Pick the camera that best fits your type of photography and budget. You told us what camera you have but not what types of photography you want to do. What about the K5iis do you wish were better?

Since you were already waiting for the K-new, you probably have reason to hope that's a better camera than the K-1 family. You shouldn't suddenly get a K-1 just because it's in a new color.

If you photograph birds-in-flight or other fast action, definitely wait for the K-new. It's likely to have a faster burst speed and deeper buffer than the K-1ii.

If you photograph landscapes or in extremely low light, the K-new will probably make lesser improvements there. Getting a K-1ii could be be a reasonable decision for that type of photography regardless of the camera's color.
It’s not about the color, this would actually be my first non-black digital camera. I was just trying to finally spilt my lens collection appropriately to the correct bodies.

JJ

---------- Post added 08-28-20 at 11:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
Not meaning to add to your temptation, but it has already been revealed in one of the promotional videos that the K-new will be released in both black, and silver editions at the same time.
You’re not helping 😂😂😂
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I know it's not a popular thing around here, but how 'bout trying to approach this in a rational way? Set up a list with pros and cons, weight them, and see what comes out on top.

Some suggestions:
Size, (relatively) big vs small
Weight, quite heavy vs less so
Price, known vs unknown
Lens inventory, how many good lenses might go out of use? Missing FF lenses?
Use; tele, macro, action, street will probably be better served by the K-new; wide shots, landscapes maybe better with the K-1
Will a flippy screen be useful to you?
Known features vs still unknown (such as the new [probably excellent] viewfinder)
Is FF really inherently better than APS-C?
etc...

Another approach; what are you missing with your K-5 II? Which of the newer bodies can remedy the pain points the most efficiently?

I have done this, and my thinking is get the K1II and start using my FF lenses as intended, give the Knew some time on the market and eventually upgrade my K5iis down the line.
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
My K3ll with battery is 28.2 oz and my K1 Mkll with battery with battery is 32.6 oz. Personally I really don't find 4 oz to be that much difference to carry. The bigger size fits my hands better, so in comparison I didn't consider the weight and size to be a non purchase factor.

However if one is planning on purchasing some of the newer D-fa full frame lenses then yes be prepared to heft some weight on some of them.

I fought off jumping into the K1 full frame camera when they came out in 2016 telling myself I didn't need it and was completely happy with my K5 lls & K3ll apsc's, which I was..... kinda... At my age the one thing I truly missed coming from my old system years ago was an articulating screen. My satisfaction with my apsc models wasn't enough to make me want to jump into buying newer apsc models just for that. 6 months ago I figured I had enough full frame lenses I was using on my apsc's so my thinking started to change and a deal came along on a new k1 mkll I couldn't refuse so I bit the bullet. From the very first photo shot I knew I had found what I was looking for in a dslr for years. I've sold my K5lls, most of my apsc glass and for now am keeping my seldom used k3ll. Is it different jumping from apsc to full frame...yes, one does have to think a little different and there are times and circumstance I will switch back to using my apsc but for me it's not very often now.......

Everyone has their own reasoning, wants, likes and needs. All I can relay is what my lines of thinking was and say in essence is go with your gut and use your reasoning to justify whether to purchase it or not.
Well if my purchase history is any indication this will last me a good 6 years so I’m not worried about buyers remorse.

JJ
08-29-2020, 09:11 AM - 3 Likes   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's a place in my bag for both the K-1 and the K-3 (or K-new). The K-1 is my best choice for wide angle and landscapes; the crop camera is for telephoto and action (something the K-1's buffer just isn't up to, IMHO). The K-2 wears the DA 50-135, and the K-1 best fits the FA 31 or something wider. Last spring, just before the year turned sour, both these lenses fell in my lap for under $600 combined, used. The 50-135 is an exceptional lens, and considerably smaller, lighter and cheaper than the FF equivalent. In the rare event I do sports or action, I wouldn't want to wait for the K-1's slow buffer to clear, so I wouldn't use the K-1 anyhow. But the K-1 has its strengths: it makes my wide lenses wider. The best part is how I can easily switch from FF to crop to square, a format I've loved since my Rolleiflex days.
08-29-2020, 07:14 PM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatridger Quote
There's a place in my bag for both the K-1 and the K-3 (or K-new). The K-1 is my best choice for wide angle and landscapes; the crop camera is for telephoto and action (something the K-1's buffer just isn't up to, IMHO). The K-2 wears the DA 50-135, and the K-1 best fits the FA 31 or something wider. Last spring, just before the year turned sour, both these lenses fell in my lap for under $600 combined, used. The 50-135 is an exceptional lens, and considerably smaller, lighter and cheaper than the FF equivalent. In the rare event I do sports or action, I wouldn't want to wait for the K-1's slow buffer to clear, so I wouldn't use the K-1 anyhow. But the K-1 has its strengths: it makes my wide lenses wider. The best part is how I can easily switch from FF to crop to square, a format I've loved since my Rolleiflex days.
I carry the K-3ii and K-1 in my bag most of the time for similar reasons. I'm expecting to always have a FF and crop sensor body because both have their strengths in different areas. It's never which format do I want to own, it's which format am I going to use today for the task at hand. I'm super keen to see what features have been incorporated into the K-New.
08-29-2020, 07:23 PM - 1 Like   #26
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

having just acquired an " experienced " K 1 II from another forum member at a price I could not refuse, I do plan on doing the same

keeping the K 3 or K 3 II for certain situations which I think are best served by them

and reserving the K 1 II for other situations

as far as getting the K new

only if lightening strikes again and I win another random number contest
09-12-2020, 06:26 AM - 2 Likes   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pqberger Quote
I carry the K-3ii and K-1 in my bag most of the time for similar reasons. I'm expecting to always have a FF and crop sensor body because both have their strengths in different areas. It's never which format do I want to own, it's which format am I going to use today for the task at hand. I'm super keen to see what features have been incorporated into the K-New.
My thoughts exactly, I didn't buy the
K1 because I thought I would like it better, or thought it was going to replace my crop body. I bought it for a certain niche in my photography, and it fits in well with my K3, they compliment each other and have their own uses and cover the shortcomings of the other.....they get equal usage.
09-12-2020, 06:11 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
My thoughts exactly, I didn't buy the
K1 because I thought I would like it better, or thought it was going to replace my crop body. I bought it for a certain niche in my photography, and it fits in well with my K3, they compliment each other and have their own uses and cover the shortcomings of the other.....they get equal usage.
I also plan on using both...

JJ
09-16-2020, 08:09 PM - 2 Likes   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
I also plan on using both...

JJ
I kept my K3 to use from time to time when I bought my K1. In over 4 years, I have used my K3 exactly once.
Plans are good.....
Go for the K1. Your photography will thank you.
09-23-2020, 07:10 PM - 1 Like   #30

Isn't the silver k1ii Japan only?

I was bordering on a KP before I decided to settle on the K1ii. I'm glad I did because I tend to use my bodies for 8+ yrs. I love it so far and have no regret at all. I imagine the new APS-C will be a really nice camera. If you are unsure, and considering your lens collection right now, perhaps waiting until reviews of the new aps-c come out before deciding on what you want to do.

Where do you find the K5ii is holding you back?