Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2020, 10:12 AM   #1
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
continuous shooting question on K 1 II

just received my " experienced " K 1 Il from a forum member

question on the continuous shooting mode

Continuous Shooting Full frame: H: 4.4 fps (70 JPG, 17 RAW) M: 3.0 fps (100 JPG, 20 RAW) L: 0.7 fps (100 JPG, 100 RAW)
APS-C crop: H: 6.4 fps (100 JPG, 50 RAW) M: 3.0 fps (100 JPG, 70 RAW) L: 1.0 fls (100 JPG, 100 RAW)

if I am using two sd cards, one set for RAW the other for JPG

the " speed " is the slower RAW

H: 4.4 fps (70 JPG, 17 RAW)

is that correct ?

08-30-2020, 10:53 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
if I am using two sd cards, one set for RAW the other for JPG

the " speed " is the slower RAW

H: 4.4 fps (70 JPG, 17 RAW)

is that correct ?
The speed is 4.4 fps, though buffer depth differs according to output format (70 JPG, 17 RAW). Not having the camera in hand, I would expect significant slowing at 17 frames or perhaps sooner. Are you seeing something different?

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-30-2020 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Clarity and word correction
08-30-2020, 10:54 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The speed is 4.4 fps, though buffer depth differs according to output format (70 JPG, 17 RAW). Not have the camera in hand, I would expect significant slowing at 17 frames or perhaps sooner. What are you seeing?

Steve
haven't tried it yet on continuous shooting

just reading manual and the excellent e book

to have top " speed " just load one card and have it jpg

do I have it correct ?
08-30-2020, 11:09 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
to have top " speed " just load one card and have it jpg
On my K-3, speed (fps) is the same for both JPEG and RAW regardless of card setup. Write buffer depth is the same for RAW and RAW+ (~23 frames) regardless of card setup. Greatest write buffer depth is attained by shooting JPEG only (~60 frames).

Addendum: Things might be different on the K-1ii, considering that the K-3/K-3II is the speed demon and buffer champ among Pentax dSLRs.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-30-2020 at 11:35 AM.
08-30-2020, 03:59 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

We've tested the buffer depth here:

Pentax K-1 Review - Performance and Burst Mode | PentaxForums.com Reviews

There is a slight penalty when shooting in split mode, but it's still perfectly usable.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-23-2020, 02:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

In theory it should be twice as fast if writing jpegs alternately to the two cards but for some reason it is instead slower. It seems like it is for some reason unable to write simultaneously to both cards. I don't know if that is some hardware limitation (maybe a single SD interface multiplexed between the two cards instead of two separate ones?) or perhaps just some limitation in the firmware that they could fix in a future update.