Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
08-31-2020, 08:56 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tight knob issue

Now that the chuckling has faded a little... I have an issue on my silver K-1mII with the multipurpose knob on the top of the camera. I'm talking about the one that's not labeled on the top corner of the camera that changes settings programmed by the other one, sitting slightly higher labeled with ISO, CL/CH, etc. The review on this site calls it the Third Control Wheel. On my black camera, I can spin the knob easily with one finger with eye in the viewfinder. This makes it easy to adjust ISO on the fly while shooting. The one on the silver camera is far tighter, and requires two fingers to grip and adjust. Any suggestions on a DIY way to loosen that knob up a little short of sending in for repair (which I am not going to do)?

Cheers to you all!

08-31-2020, 09:49 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
The one on the silver camera is far tighter, and requires two fingers to grip and adjust. Any suggestions on a DIY way to loosen that knob up a little short of sending in for repair (which I am not going to do)?
The sarcastic answer would be to play with the knob on the silver camera until it breaks. The less sarcastic answer is that the knob is supposed to require two fingers and that it is the black camera that has the "dreaded loose knob issue". A seriously sketchy suggestion might include squirting WD-40 into the base of the knob on the silver camera and letting it sit overnight to soak in* .

All joking aside, including stuff about "knob" vs. "dial", the first thing that comes to my mind is to live with it.

Steve

(...not very helpful today...)

* Suggested in jest ONLY!!! WD-40 is not something to use on one's cameras and definitely not as I described above!

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-31-2020 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Added strong disclaimer
08-31-2020, 09:53 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I guess I like loose knobs, then. Live with it I shall. Thanks for your answer, Steve!
08-31-2020, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #4

I would hazard to guess it may be the weather seal gasket on the dial. Either the black K-1's seal is dried out, crumbled to bits, just loose, or is normal and the silver K-1 gasket is normal or sticky or any combination of them all.

I don't know how the rubber (or whatever) of the gaskets reacts to WD-40 but perhaps a silicone O-ring grease would be better. The difficult part would be working it on to the gasket without taking the top plate off and disassembling the dials/knobs.

09-01-2020, 04:32 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Select a good setting with two fingers and never change it! I picked ISO so I have three dials for the major functions - shutter speed, aperture and ISO.
09-01-2020, 06:52 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Select a good setting with two fingers and never change it! I picked ISO so I have three dials for the major functions - shutter speed, aperture and ISO.
That's what I do too. I've had it off ISO maybe twice, and it didn't feel natural. I keep it on ISO all the time.
09-01-2020, 07:12 AM - 1 Like   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
That's what I do too. I've had it off ISO maybe twice, and it didn't feel natural. I keep it on ISO all the time.
I've had a used K-1 a little more than a month now and I only move it from ISO to turn wifi on. The dial is nice and clicky, so it didn't take too long to learn how to switch without looking. Exposure compensation could be convenient too, especially since it's right next to ISO, but there's already a reasonably convenient button on the camera for that...

But back to OP's question, my "third control wheel" is adjustable with just a thumb and a good bit of pressure, but it is rather stiff and more comfortable to adjust with two fingers, so I think Steve is right that your black one is probably "broken" (which is only a problem insomuch as it bothers you) and the silver is working as intended.

Last edited by Sykil; 09-01-2020 at 07:18 AM.