Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2020, 03:43 AM   #1

Will Pentax bring a new camera to replace the K1 Mrk II?

I own a Pentax K1 purchased some time ago. I see there is a new Silver Pentax K1 Mk II available in Australia. I was wondering if Pentax is contemplating introducing a new full frame camera in the future? I was thinking of upgrading to the mark II.

10-18-2020, 03:47 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Note that this is purely speculative, but yes, there will probably be a new camera. No, it won't be anytime soon.

The difference between the K-1 and K-1 II isn't big, but if you do decide to treat yourself to the silver model, I wouldn't worry about it being replaced right away.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-18-2020, 04:05 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There was a thread on this two days ago!
10-18-2020, 04:25 AM   #4
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is not yet three years since the K-1ii was released so we are still within the usual product cycle (without taking account of the more general slow down caused by Covid19). We also have the new APS-C body which should be released soon (although there is some suggestion that it may be delayed). I would expect that if there are any ground-breaking advances in the new APS-C body, those advances would also be in any replacement for the K-1ii. So there are a few reasons that we should not expect anything too soon.

10-18-2020, 05:43 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Pentax cameras aren't phones or fashion items, there will not be a "new season" release every year. They release brilliant cameras, that take many years to need succession, and generally, Pentax people don't buy their cameras, hoping that it will be obsolete within a year, unlike their competitors, that have to release new models all the time, to keep people that buy their brand interested enough not to jump ship and go to the newest fashion item.
10-18-2020, 05:46 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The short answer is yes. Don't hold your breath though.

Enjoy your photography with whatever tools you have at hand.
10-18-2020, 06:36 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Will possibly merge this thread with the other one---as pointed out above there's multiples of these things, even worse for the coming apsc release(s). I'll wait a little bit to see if more people hop on----and it would be best if they didn't.

10-19-2020, 03:56 PM   #8
Pentaxian

If you feel the K-1ii is a significant enough upgrade over your K-1, buy it now.

I think the next full frame is 1-3 years. Yes, I'm guessing with no inside information, but it fits Ricoh's low intensity release schedule. They don't release new cameras that will compete against other Pentax cameras. Expect the K-1ii to vanish before you see a replacement.
10-19-2020, 11:09 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
If you feel the K-1ii is a significant enough upgrade over your K-1, buy it now.

I think the next full frame is 1-3 years. Yes, I'm guessing with no inside information, but it fits Ricoh's low intensity release schedule. They don't release new cameras that will compete against other Pentax cameras. Expect the K-1ii to vanish before you see a replacement.
I am waiting to see how 2021 plays out before buying the most recent K-1 version new; if they announce a new FF camera in 2021, I may wait for that even if into 2022 (especially if it has more pixels = smaller pixels and a faster processor/buffering). I'm eager to get my first Pentax FF DLSR, but I'm content for now with my two K-3 II bodies and my 36-Mpx D800 (though the Nikon continually frustrates me with features that it's missing or not well-configured in comparison to my Pentax DSLRs). If the K-1 II vanishes before a successor, there will not be a FF Pentax successor, I wouldn't think; I would think that they'd time it with a short overlap (though Pentax did not allow overlap between manufacture of the last dual-card APS-C camera and the next one). In my opinion, what makes a truly top-tier camera manufacturer is whether they make FF (and/or medium-format) cameras or not; it's what separates the men from the boys, so to speak, and I think that Ricoh understands this (as well as understanding that spin-offs from their DSLR-branch R&D can help the rest of the company from technology developments packing so much amazing stuff into such a compact body, even if Pentax doesn't generate lots of revenue).

Last edited by cometguy; 10-19-2020 at 11:19 PM.