11-11-2020, 08:23 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There is an article here on PF:
DCU5 and HDR Photography Workflow - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
...and also the review for the K-3 at Imaging Resource
Pentax K-3 Review - Exposure (search the page for "HDR" there are examples and good text descriptions)
(Just looked both of these up this afternoon...)

The short answer regarding what all those settings mean is that there are five modes:
  • Off
  • Auto: camera makes best guess in regards to tone mapping
  • 1 A little tone mapping
  • 2 A little more tone mapping
  • 3 Maybe more tone mapping than is tasteful
Each of the four "on" modes may be configured for a bracket of either +/- 1 EV, +/- 2 EV, or +/- 3 EV. The base exposure for the bracket determines where the range will be expanded. Exposure compensation is our friend.

Steve
Thanks Steve, obviously I didn't look that hard. I've experimented with the in camera HDR, I usually shoot Raw+, th in camera HDR jpgs are interesting, some actually are not bad, just some.

11-12-2020, 06:05 AM   #17

There is one situation where I find the In-camera HDR works well... when you are taking a picture inside and have a brightly-lit window in the background. For example, the bedroom at our summer house in Maine has a sliding glass door looking out at the lake. Using in-camera HDR, the inside of the room and brighter view through the window are blended very well.

Typically I use HDR in situations where part of the image (like the window) is normal exposure and I want to recover the shadows. I am not surprised it fails with the sun directly in the frame. For something like a landscape or sunset, I use the bracket setting with +/-2 stops with 3 shots and manually blend in Photoshop. Make sure you use 16-bit developing in Camera Raw conversion.
11-12-2020, 06:26 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Has your question been answered yet? I saw a few things you agreed with.

If not, are you exporting as 8-bit or 16-bit?
Basically, yes. I got a lot of answer (thanks to all ).

My understanding is: Pentax HDR RAW is recognized only on DCU (but it tends to burn high lights). It is fine when you don't want to spend time in post-processing and when in your frame there are no high lights (if there is the sun, better to avoid). Maybe I can do some further test with a different base brackets and check if high lights are still burned.

Anyways the idea to extract HDR frames from DCU is fine when the final HDR RAW on DCU does not meet your expectation. In this case it could make sense, it is like a second chance.

PS: TIFF export is 16-bit

---------- Post added 11-12-20 at 06:28 AM ----------

There is an article here on PF:
DCU5 and HDR Photography Workflow - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
...and also the review for the K-3 at Imaging Resource
Pentax K-3 Review - Exposure (search the page for "HDR" there are examples and good text descriptions)
(Just looked both of these up this afternoon...)
Thanks, very interesting links.

The short answer regarding what all those settings mean is that there are five modes:
  • Off
  • Auto: camera makes best guess in regards to tone mapping
  • 1 A little tone mapping
  • 2 A little more tone mapping
  • 3 Maybe more tone mapping than is tasteful
There is also HDR ADV (advanced). Not sure if it is documented in the manual, I need to check what does mean for "advanced"
11-12-2020, 08:56 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by billcarson_82 Quote
Do you mean this setting?
That's the one. In this case, it looks like you're set for bracket spacings of 3 f-stops using the "AUTO" HDR mode. Auto HDR chooses one of the other HDR modes, based on what it thinks is best so I prefer to actually pick my own if I use the JPEG output. If you shoot for a DNG HDR, all modes do the same thing because those modes only apply to the in-camera HDR processing for a JPEG output, however the camera uses the bracket spacing you have shown for those shots which compose the HDR DNG.

11-12-2020, 10:00 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by billcarson_82 Quote
(but it tends to burn high lights)
It burns highlights (like the full disk of the sun) when we burn highlights. We are still responsible for the base exposure. If we expose for the shadows, a three-stop HDR bracket is not going to help any.

Below is a 5-step/5-stop* HDR bracket merged using the HDRMerge** tool (default processing in LR) compared to the base exposure with shadow pull and highlight. The base exposure was determined with gray card (incident metered) and the total range of values in the scene spanned about 12 EV.

FWIW, I consider in-camera HDR to be a mix between a convenience and a novelty feature, a small step above the so-called scene modes and custom image options. If I need something quick and dirty, it is there to use.

Steve

* -2, -1, 0, +1, +2

** HDRMerge does minimal tone mapping and also offers a fair amount of flexibility in tailoring the merge. The above was a simple merge using that tool.

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-12-2020 at 10:07 AM.