Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2021, 05:47 AM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
JimJohnson's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,569
QuoteOriginally posted by matroxication Quote
Am still not comfortable in taking pictures with manual lenses. At one point, I was very interested in Samyang 135mm f2 lens and every praised that lens for its sharpness and bokeh. For studio work, it would be great but not on the field especially while taking pictures of moving subjects.
Don't get me wrong. I love AF... But give me a good focus screen and I can tweak focus on most MF lens as fast as AF on moving subjects. And the common trick for film photographers (even those with motor drives) was to predict where the subject would be, focus there and wait. The K-1 has one (okay more than one) big advantage over film for action photography. I can set the shutter speed for the desired blur (or not) and aperture for adequate depth of field for my pre-selected focus and just let the camera pick an appropriate ISO for the needed EV.

Bottom line, don't knock a good 200mm lens just because it is MF.

06-18-2021, 06:12 AM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 729
QuoteOriginally posted by matroxication Quote
Finally after back and forth with the decisions of the telephoto lenses and I pulled the trigger and ordered DFA 70-200 today even though my wife threatened with divorce papers :P

Taking the chance with the weight but in the end, my mind could not settle with either DA*200, DA*300 or DFA 70-210. Thanks everyone on this thread for the valuable inputs.
*thumbs up*

So long as you are ok to lug that heavyweight around for hours and on many days, the DFA 70-200 is a superb choice.

Share with us the images you are getting out of it, when you are able to.
06-18-2021, 06:35 AM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2016
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 133
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
*thumbs up*

So long as you are ok to lug that heavyweight around for hours and on many days, the DFA 70-200 is a superb choice.

Share with us the images you are getting out of it, when you are able to.
Thanks Termy. Currently the lens is on backorder but they confirmed that supplier has few stocks Still waiting on the ETA. Currently shopping for a protective lens to go with it

---------- Post added 06-18-21 at 06:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Don't get me wrong. I love AF... But give me a good focus screen and I can tweak focus on most MF lens as fast as AF on moving subjects. And the common trick for film photographers (even those with motor drives) was to predict where the subject would be, focus there and wait. The K-1 has one (okay more than one) big advantage over film for action photography. I can set the shutter speed for the desired blur (or not) and aperture for adequate depth of field for my pre-selected focus and just let the camera pick an appropriate ISO for the needed EV.

Bottom line, don't knock a good 200mm lens just because it is MF.
That is true. Since I also wanted to use the lens for my kids, manual focus might be bit of a challenge to work with.
06-22-2021, 10:30 PM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2016
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 133
Original Poster
Finally got my lens today and took few test shots inside my home. Have not found it amusing yet and unfortunately there are covid restrictions being imposed from today and hence not sure when I can actually take it outdoor for a spin.

When I received my lens packed in a large box, I thought the weight is not bad. I can handle it and no issues. The moment I took the actual lens out and fitted on my K1, my mind started to raise an alarm if I can handle its weight. Boy, its damn heavy and it would require quite sometime and practice to get used to it. Probably a visit to Wakanda and get a cybernetic arm

Since this is my most heaviest and expensive lens, I got few dumb questions and would appreciate your help.

- Handling the camera by lens: Is that the right way to do it all the time? Can I use the tripod mount as a support or is it better to remove it unless required? Any suggestions on handling this beast/
- Using camera bag: Is it better to keep the camera down and lens up or the other way around inside the camera bag. If am having this lens connected to my camera.
- I have Peak design slide and also peak design capture clip and have not tried yet for this lens. Any other suggestions for straps which you think will better suit this lens + camera combo? I do have peak design wrist strap as well but dont think it would benefit for this lens.

06-23-2021, 02:14 AM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Quebec City, Quebec
Posts: 2,934
QuoteOriginally posted by matroxication Quote
Can I use the tripod mount as a support or is it better to remove it unless required?
When handholding the DFA*70-200 mm f/2.8, I clamp my left hand around the tripod mount. This gives an excellent and secure grip. I never remove the tripod foot. I never had any issues with unsharp pictures.

@ 200 mm on K1

@ 200 mm on K1

@ 200 mm on K3

The lens is quite heavy but you can hold it still for a short moment to take your picture, using gun shooting technique (take a deep breath, exhale partly, shoot and finish exhaling fully). You can also distribute the weight on your elbows, elbows plus trunk acting almost like a tripod. Sometimes, you can lean on a solid fixture, like a car window frame or a handrail.

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 06-23-2021 at 03:13 AM.
06-23-2021, 04:11 AM   #66
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,183
QuoteOriginally posted by matroxication Quote
. . . Any other suggestions for straps which you think will better suit this lens + camera combo? . . .
I carry my camera and lens cross body style

I use either my PD strap ( ash ) [ which I got because of the color and my Silver K 3 III ]

or my Optech USA Utility Strap

and with either I add the Joby Ultraplate with handstrap

JOBY UltraFit Hand Strap with UltraPlate JB01277 B&H Photo Video

this allows me to help with the lens of the big lenses D FA *70-200 and D FA 150-450

by letting my hand take some of the weight at times

I also help with the weight by carrying the lens in the crook of my other arm or carefully balanced on my shoulder
06-23-2021, 04:51 AM - 1 Like   #67
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Central Florida
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,082
QuoteOriginally posted by matroxication Quote
Finally got my lens today and took few test shots inside my home. Have not found it amusing yet and unfortunately there are covid restrictions being imposed from today and hence not sure when I can actually take it outdoor for a spin.

When I received my lens packed in a large box, I thought the weight is not bad. I can handle it and no issues. The moment I took the actual lens out and fitted on my K1, my mind started to raise an alarm if I can handle its weight. Boy, its damn heavy and it would require quite sometime and practice to get used to it. Probably a visit to Wakanda and get a cybernetic arm

Since this is my most heaviest and expensive lens, I got few dumb questions and would appreciate your help.

- Handling the camera by lens: Is that the right way to do it all the time? Can I use the tripod mount as a support or is it better to remove it unless required? Any suggestions on handling this beast/
- Using camera bag: Is it better to keep the camera down and lens up or the other way around inside the camera bag. If am having this lens connected to my camera.
- I have Peak design slide and also peak design capture clip and have not tried yet for this lens. Any other suggestions for straps which you think will better suit this lens + camera combo? I do have peak design wrist strap as well but dont think it would benefit for this lens.
I've never removed the foot yet, except to see how it's done. I have a Spider pin on the lens itself to hang on the Spider belt when parked/carrrying as the lens is too heavy to hang from the camera pin IMHO. I've also spun the tripod foot to the top and use it for carrying rather than holding by the camera body at times. Depends on circumstances. I'm just wary of putting undue strain on the camera mount since yeah, it's a heavy lens.

BTW, I've not had any issue with using the 70-200 handheld for a couple of hours at a time during a shoot and I'm a little guy, 160lbs. Great results and focus rate too so it hasn't been an issue keeping it steady. It's a heavy lens, but not ungainly.

06-24-2021, 01:05 AM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2016
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 133
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
When handholding the DFA*70-200 mm f/2.8, I clamp my left hand around the tripod mount. This gives an excellent and secure grip. I never remove the tripod foot. I never had any issues with unsharp pictures.

@ 200 mm on K1

@ 200 mm on K1

@ 200 mm on K3

The lens is quite heavy but you can hold it still for a short moment to take your picture, using gun shooting technique (take a deep breath, exhale partly, shoot and finish exhaling fully). You can also distribute the weight on your elbows, elbows plus trunk acting almost like a tripod. Sometimes, you can lean on a solid fixture, like a car window frame or a handrail.
Thanks Richard. Yeah, am still trying few methods to see which works for me. I don't have steady hands and when I look into view finder at 200mm, its like am in a ship stuck in a bad weather. But I still was able to get some decent shots of my daughter. Currently am holding the combo using the tripod foot rather than holding the camera. It makes it easier.

---------- Post added 06-24-21 at 01:10 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I carry my camera and lens cross body style

I use either my PD strap ( ash ) [ which I got because of the color and my Silver K 3 III ]

or my Optech USA Utility Strap

and with either I add the Joby Ultraplate with handstrap

JOBY UltraFit Hand Strap with UltraPlate JB01277 B&H Photo Video

this allows me to help with the lens of the big lenses D FA *70-200 and D FA 150-450

by letting my hand take some of the weight at times

I also help with the weight by carrying the lens in the crook of my other arm or carefully balanced on my shoulder
Thanks Allen. Am yet to try with PD slide or capture. I don't like the camera dangling below the waist or on side and sometimes with PD slide, it creates issues. Usually I prefer using capture clip at my chest height clipped on to my camera bag but am yet to try with this beast .

---------- Post added 06-24-21 at 01:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I've never removed the foot yet, except to see how it's done. I have a Spider pin on the lens itself to hang on the Spider belt when parked/carrrying as the lens is too heavy to hang from the camera pin IMHO. I've also spun the tripod foot to the top and use it for carrying rather than holding by the camera body at times. Depends on circumstances. I'm just wary of putting undue strain on the camera mount since yeah, it's a heavy lens.

BTW, I've not had any issue with using the 70-200 handheld for a couple of hours at a time during a shoot and I'm a little guy, 160lbs. Great results and focus rate too so it hasn't been an issue keeping it steady. It's a heavy lens, but not ungainly.
Thanks gatorguy. Agree that this lens is by far the fastest focusing lens I have in my arsenal. I just need to spend sometime to tame this beast.
06-24-2021, 03:43 PM   #69
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Southeastern Michigan
Posts: 3,283
QuoteOriginally posted by matroxication Quote
Thanks @angerdan. Since am new to the 200mm focal length, I wanted to make sure I make the right decision and don't want to end up selling the lens and going for another one.
In that case, simply get an inexpensive but adequate Tamron or Sigma 70-300mm lens as a tryout to settle on your FL use. I have long had a Sigma 70-300mm DG (coatings for digital use) APO lens from the 35mm film era, bought new. Build quality of this lens is fairly good. It is also actually pretty fair for IQ at around 200mm, especially in the central area of the frame, and the edges are less important anyway as you'd want to blur the surrounding area to isolate your subjects. If that is not wanted, just stop down so clarity and IQ in the outer area will improve. My lens is good for keeping to f/4.5 out to 200mm. As you know, the longer the FL, the more shallow the DOF to blur the background, and the less need for a larger aperture to do so.

These 70-300mm lenses tend to be at their best in their shorter to middle FL settings, as is true with most zoom lenses, so they can deliver decent results in the first part of their range, where a lens such as inexpensive lenses of slower aperture with a range of 70-200mm or so would be at the end of their zoom range and with diminished IQ and that with f/5.6 maximum aperture.

Oops- I just saw you got your new DFA 70-200mm f/2.8 so just enjoy it. It has a very high reputation. My approach to the dilemma of carrying weight vs. f/2.8 in my case for low light use, has been relegating most tele needs to my really fine APS-C cameras instead of my K-1 II. So with this solution came my DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 which I've had for around 10 years, plus the DA* 200mm f/2.8 for times when I need yet more reach. The system is great now on my KP for easier carrying with extra high quality.

Last edited by mikesbike; 06-24-2021 at 04:01 PM.
06-24-2021, 05:25 PM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2016
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 133
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
In that case, simply get an inexpensive but adequate Tamron or Sigma 70-300mm lens as a tryout to settle on your FL use. I have long had a Sigma 70-300mm DG (coatings for digital use) APO lens from the 35mm film era, bought new. Build quality of this lens is fairly good. It is also actually pretty fair for IQ at around 200mm, especially in the central area of the frame, and the edges are less important anyway as you'd want to blur the surrounding area to isolate your subjects. If that is not wanted, just stop down so clarity and IQ in the outer area will improve. My lens is good for keeping to f/4.5 out to 200mm. As you know, the longer the FL, the more shallow the DOF to blur the background, and the less need for a larger aperture to do so.

These 70-300mm lenses tend to be at their best in their shorter to middle FL settings, as is true with most zoom lenses, so they can deliver decent results in the first part of their range, where a lens such as inexpensive lenses of slower aperture with a range of 70-200mm or so would be at the end of their zoom range and with diminished IQ and that with f/5.6 maximum aperture.

Oops- I just saw you got your new DFA 70-200mm f/2.8 so just enjoy it. It has a very high reputation. My approach to the dilemma of carrying weight vs. f/2.8 in my case for low light use, has been relegating most tele needs to my really fine APS-C cameras instead of my K-1 II. So with this solution came my DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 which I've had for around 10 years, plus the DA* 200mm f/2.8 for times when I need yet more reach. The system is great now on my KP for easier carrying with extra high quality.
Thanks mikesbike. That makes more sense. I do have my Pentax K30 but am not sure if I can go back to that after using K1 for a while now Am now shopping for a arca swiss mount to use it for my Peak Design Slide and capture using the lens mount
07-04-2021, 04:22 AM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
TDvN57's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 480
Here are two lenses covering the 200mm you asked about. Depending on your budget of course:

SMC Pentax-FA* 200mm F4 Macro ED [IF] Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

There is one on fleebay offered for just over USD8k

The second may be more versatile and much more reasonably priced:

SMC Pentax-FA* 80-200mm F2.8 ED [IF] Reviews - FA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

There is one on fleebay offer for just over USD700.
07-05-2021, 12:22 AM   #72
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2016
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 133
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TDvN57 Quote
Here are two lenses covering the 200mm you asked about. Depending on your budget of course:

SMC Pentax-FA* 200mm F4 Macro ED [IF] Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

There is one on fleebay offered for just over USD8k

The second may be more versatile and much more reasonably priced:

SMC Pentax-FA* 80-200mm F2.8 ED [IF] Reviews - FA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

There is one on fleebay offer for just over USD700.
Thanks TDvN57. I have purchased Pentax DFA* 70-200 2.8 and struggling to get the calibration right with it. Posted a new thread regarding that/

Brand new Pentax DFA* 70-200 focus weirdness with K1. Please help - PentaxForums.com
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
da*200, dslr, edge, experience, f/2.8, fa, flickr, frame, full frame, full-frame, head, k-1, k-1 ii, k1, lens, lenses, option, pentax, pentax k-1, pictures, post, sdm, tamron, tc, weight
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any recommendation for Olympus E-510 affordable telephoto lenses ? Weevil Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 6 12-22-2017 12:24 PM
Ricoh-Pentax recommendation for K1 specific AF-C tracking settings? Tatouzou Pentax K-1 & K-1 II 8 07-13-2016 03:03 PM
Recommendation for vintage telephoto lens MajorMess Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 03-07-2016 09:36 AM
Best recommendation for Telephoto Lens audiodoc Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 35 12-10-2013 02:55 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:44 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top