Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2020, 07:10 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by matroxication Quote
@normhead, nice pictures and I read great reviews about 55-300 PLM lens as well. But am looking for bit faster aperture than f6.3. Are the TC compatible with K1 being full frame? I thought they are compatible only for APSC cameras.
K-1 and DA*200

K-1 and DA*200 with HD DA 1.4 TC

K-1 and F 1.7x AF Adapter

12-02-2020, 07:24 PM - 3 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Earlier this year I acquired a 80-200/2.8, a range that never particularly interested me, but I'm a sucker for good deals on good lenses and I found that I use the entire range quite a bit. The only other zoom I use on a regular basis is the DA 17-70, and I shoot primarily 17-24mm or 70mm... but with the 80-200 I'm all over the place.

12-03-2020, 04:11 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
@matroxication - I just peeked at ebay.com.au and found a couple copies of the Tamron 70-200/2.8 for less than $1000 from international sellers... give it a look!

tamron 70-200 pentax | eBay

Also, you could post in Wanted Items - PentaxForums.com and see if someone has something for you.
Yup, that’s the one I saw as well. At this point, am still not sure which lens to go for 😊

---------- Post added 12-03-20 at 04:12 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
K-1 and DA*200

K-1 and DA*200 with HD DA 1.4 TC

K-1 and F 1.7x AF Adapter
These are amazing pictures. Did not know that exiting TC is compatible with full frame. I was wrong

---------- Post added 12-03-20 at 04:14 AM ----------

Earlier this year I acquired a 80-200/2.8, a range that never particularly interested me, but I'm a sucker for good deals on good lenses and I found that I use the entire range quite a bit. The only other zoom I use on a regular basis is the DA 17-70, and I shoot primarily 17-24mm or 70mm... but with the 80-200 I'm all over the place.

Great pictures. I actually never heard lens with focal length 80-200/2.8. Is it from Pentax?

---------- Post added 12-03-20 at 04:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
DFA 70-200, image quality is top notch.

But you are intending it as a walkabout lens with family n kids and i will have to assume, it will mean quite a lot of snapping pics of them.

That being so, the DFA, weighing in at 2.x kilogramme, is really up to your own assessment, whether you can tolerate walking about with family n kids with a 2.x kilogramme behemoth, for anywhere between 1hour to, 3/4/5 hours?

And cuz you indicated wanted something faster (than being restricted to f5.6 or f6.3 at long end, else, the 55-300 PLM really is bang for the buck)

Realistically, that means something of a 70-200 / 80-200 f2.8 type will be more suitable (and preferably not too heavyweight type).

The 60-250 is also definitely worth considering, and also the DFA 70-210 f4.0 (they are much lighter than the DFA 70-200, and both offer constant f4.0)

A 200 prime isnt necessarily more or less suitable.
Although the fixed focal length could be rather restrictive (if there is no room to back-up any further).

The Tamron and various Sigma 70-200, definitely not as heavy as the DFA.

One lens that is a bit of an outlier here, is the Sigma 100-300 f4.0., coming in at 1.4kg.
Hugely useable at f4.0
yup very true. I don't want to be in a position where am too tired to take any pictures due to camera/lens weight Most of the people who owns DFA 70-200 f2.8 accept that its heavy but also mentions, it balances well with K1 and no issues in carrying it around for longer hours. Really not sure how that feel is but I always consider a weight is a weight when you are carrying it around without taking any pictures.
12-03-2020, 04:55 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Thanks everyone for the wonderful suggestions. Always proud to be part of the Pentax world �� Getting “used” Pentax gears is challenging when you are living in down under (Aussie). And the import duty for buying it outside kills it further.
Based on past experience with my Samyang (replaced it 3 times to get a good copy) & Sigma 35mm ART, where I constantly had to send my K1 & lens multiple times to CRKennedy for calibration, am more inclined to buy a new lens. Also, I prefer having weather sealed on the telephoto lens and I believe the lenses from my list should all be weather sealed.
Also based on everyone’s feedback, I can assume Pentax DFA* 70-200 is not a good walk around lens, not good for travel primarily due to its weight. If weight is removed from the equation, does this lens lives up to its hype and cost?

@angerdan, out of all the lenses in your recommendations, Is DA*300 sharpest?
The user ratings at the lensrevieviews here say about the sharpness:

9.7 - D FA 70-210mm F4 ED SDM WR
9.7 - DA* 300mm F4 ED [IF] SDM
9.7 - FA* 200mm F2.8 ED [IF]
9.6 - FA* 300mm F4.5 ED [IF]
9.5 - DA* 60-250mm F4 ED [IF] SDM
8.5 - F 70-210mm F4-5.6

All DA* and WR lenses are weather sealed.

The D FA* 70-200mm f2.8 is worth every cent.
HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

12-03-2020, 05:03 AM   #20
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . @aslyfox, definitely there needs to be balance in everything that you mentioned. If taking portrait, I would require the best isolation possible with good bokeh, faster autofocus for kids. I can’t say difference between f4 and f2.8 on 200mm since I have not used one. But will be using the lens as well for any indoor play activity/sports for my kids and am not sure if f2.8 is more suited there. Regarding weight, the heaviest lens I have is sigma 35 1.4 ART which is 665 gms in weight. But if am carrying 70-200 f2.8, then I won’t be carrying any other lens with me. And yes, the link about focus breathing is correct and was told 70-200 f2.8 is plagued with it.
. . .
I would recommend you send some PMs to the folks posting in this thread -

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/321412-pentax-hd-pentax-d...c-aw-club.html

and ask them about " focus breathing " problems with their D FA * 70-200mm

perhaps @angerdan has some knowledge to share on that ?

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
I agree 100 %

and if you are fit enough to carry it, you don't need to spend money on a gym membership

check out this part of the " In Depth " Review:

QuoteQuote:
HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW
Conclusion
The HD Pentax D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 lens is an impressive product, and a welcome addition to the Pentax full-frame premium lens lineup . . .

Pros
Superb build quality
Outstanding sharpness, consistent in all shooting conditions
Excellent control over chromatic aberration and purple fringing
Autofocus very fast and reliable
Convenient, classic zoom range
Fast aperture
Internal zooming
Cons
Large and heavy
Expensive
Flare and ghosting control could be better

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/hd-pentax-d-fa-star-70-200mm-f28/conclu...#ixzz6fYvibf3D

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-03-2020 at 05:14 AM.
12-03-2020, 06:32 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I would recommend you send some PMs to the folks posting in this thread -

Pentax HD PENTAX-D FA* 70-200mm f/2.8 ED DC AW . . . CLUB! - PentaxForums.com

and ask them about " focus breathing " problems with their D FA * 70-200mm

perhaps @angerdan has some knowledge to share on that ?

I agree 100 %

and if you are fit enough to carry it, you don't need to spend money on a gym membership

check out this part of the " In Depth " Review:

Read more at: HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW Review - Conclusion | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Thanks for your recommendation. I have posted my query in that thread for now. Yeah, its going to be heavy but I still dont know if weight and cost offsets the image quality when compared to 70-210 f4 lens and the Tammy.
12-03-2020, 06:35 AM   #22
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for your recommendation. I have posted my query in that thread for now. Yeah, its going to be heavy but I still dont know if weight and cost offsets the image quality when compared to 70-210 f4 lens and the Tammy.
good luck

not sure where you will purchase it, but would they have a return policy ?

or could you find a place that would rent one to you ?

hands on experience may be the only way to solve the issue of whether it is too heavy for your purpose

12-03-2020, 06:35 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster

8.5 - F 70-210mm F4-5.6

All DA* and WR lenses are weather sealed.

The D FA* 70-200mm f2.8 is worth every cent.
HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Thanks @angerdan. Since am new to the 200mm focal length, I wanted to make sure I make the right decision and don't want to end up selling the lens and going for another one.
12-03-2020, 06:46 AM   #24
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

deciding is not easy

8.5 - F 70-210mm F4-5.6RL. . .
users reviews may be questioned by some

but just food for thought

QuoteQuote:
Sharpness
Aberrations
Bokeh
Autofocus
Handling
Value

Read more at: HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW Reviews - D FA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

QuoteQuote:
* A star symbol denotes a lens being part of Pentax's top of the line (sometimes called "professional") lenses. They are usually larger lenses with fast apertures, all-weather protection and superior optical performances

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/hd-pentax-d-fa-star-70-200mm-f28/specif...#ixzz6fZKpDHXp
12-03-2020, 06:50 AM   #25
Pentaxian

To me, the biggest advantage of the DFA* 70-200 will be it's ability to make good use of the announced but not yet on the radar 2x TC. 140-400mm will be an awesome lens for birder wildlife types with the 2x on it.
12-03-2020, 08:19 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks everyone for the wonderful suggestions. Always proud to be part of the Pentax world �� Getting “used” Pentax gears is challenging when you are living in down under (Aussie). Also, only handful of retailers are selling new gears as well (dcxpert, Pentax online, digidirect) and most of the items are on special orders. And the import duty for buying it outside kills it further.

Based on past experience with my Samyang (replaced it 3 times to get a good copy) & Sigma 35mm ART, where I constantly had to send my K1 & lens multiple times to CRKennedy for calibration, am more inclined to buy a new lens. Especially when the older lenses are costing AU$1000 or more.
Also, I prefer having weather sealed on the telephoto lens and I believe the lenses from my list should all be weather sealed.

Below picture gives an idea of what am expecting from a 200mm lens when doing portraits.
People | Today in Turin look like a summer day !! Happy East? | Flickr

Also based on everyone’s feedback, I can assume Pentax DFA* 70-200 is not a good walk around lens, not good for travel primarily due to its weight. If weight is removed from the equation, does this lens lives up to its hype and cost?

@Adam007, I completely agree that primes are great for portrait. But I believe 200mm will be effective for subject isolation better than my 77 ltd. Also having 77 ltd and 35mm ART, I don’t want to invest in any more portrait lenses such as DFA* 50 and DFA* 85 unless am doing any paid work. Pentax 28-105 WR is a great walk around lens but I wanted bit more telephoto to be away from subjects to take natural shots. Especially with kids where they react to camera is directly pointing at them ��

@ChatMechant, FA*80-200 seems to be nice lens but getting older lenses is challenging in Australia. If it costs about $1000 or more, I can rather buy the new ones.

@aslyfox, definitely there needs to be balance in everything that you mentioned. If taking portrait, I would require the best isolation possible with good bokeh, faster autofocus for kids. I can’t say difference between f4 and f2.8 on 200mm since I have not used one. But will be using the lens as well for any indoor play activity/sports for my kids and am not sure if f2.8 is more suited there. Regarding weight, the heaviest lens I have is sigma 35 1.4 ART which is 665 gms in weight. But if am carrying 70-200 f2.8, then I won’t be carrying any other lens with me. And yes, the link about focus breathing is correct and was told 70-200 f2.8 is plagued with it.

@luftfluss, I have to import Tamron lens from ebay and its costing about AU$1000 or more I guess for the new one.

@termy, yup the reviews on Tammy looks promising. Manual lenses are bit of challenge especially if its heavy. I always wanted to buy Samyang 135mm F2 for its sharpness and bokeh but since its manual, its holding me off.

@normhead, nice pictures and I read great reviews about 55-300 PLM lens as well. But am looking for bit faster aperture than f6.3. Are the TC compatible with K1 being full frame? I thought they are compatible only for APSC cameras.

@DeadJohn, these are valuable links. Based on the DOF simulator, F2.8 provides creamier bokeh. Assuming rest of the characteristics of both 70-200 f2.8 and f4 lenses are the same.

@garywakeling, Is this the lens you are referring to?
SMC Pentax-F 70-210mm F4-5.6 Reviews - F Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

@angerdan, out of all the lenses in your recommendations, Is DA*300 sharpest?
Yes the SMC version, at 50-150AUD it is full frame and even with an extra 50-100AUD shipping from Japan or USA is still a great bargain, just be careful with the non SMC version normally just called F or Takumar-F it has no SMC coatings, some reviews find it good and for less than100aud worth a try. I have both the DFA* 70-200 2.8 as well as the FA* 80-200 2.8, but for walk around shots the SMC F delivers well above it's price point. Having said that, I have found my 60-250 delivers amazing results, is weather sealed and pretty well full framed coverage. Patience in Australia can lead to some nice finds, the hunt can be part of the fun, good luck
12-03-2020, 08:35 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great pictures. I actually never heard lens with focal length 80-200/2.8. Is it from Pentax?
Pentax has the FA* 80-200mm F2.8, but the one I am shooting with is theTamron Adaptall-2 SP 80-200mm f2.8 (30A)... not that I am suggesting you get one, as I don't think it fits your criteria - it's manual focus - but I wanted to demonstrate the versatility of a zoom rather than a prime, although a 200mm f/2.8 prime would be smaller and lighter... which is a kind of versatility in its own way.
12-03-2020, 08:41 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yup, that’s the one I saw as well. At this point, am still not sure which lens to go for 😊
In the link, there is also a used one from the USA that ships to Oz, currently at $325 AUD.

Of course, first you need to figure which lens you want!
12-03-2020, 08:47 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
To me, the biggest advantage of the DFA* 70-200 will be it's ability to make good use of the announced but not yet on the radar 2x TC. 140-400mm will be an awesome lens for birder wildlife types with the 2x on it.
I don't think the 2x TC has been announced or even publicly scheduled - at least, I don't see it on the latest lens roadmap.

12-03-2020, 12:05 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChatMechant Quote
I can also recommend the FA*80-200. It is fantastic on the K1. The DA300 is superb but probably too long. Alternatively, the older FA135 2.8 is very small, good for a walk around, family snapshot type outing.
QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
Realistically, that means something of a 70-200 / 80-200 f2.8 type will be more suitable (and preferably not too heavyweight type).
Really not sure how that feel is but I always consider a weight is a weight when you are carrying it around without taking any pictures.
The FA* 80-200mm f2.8 has the double weight of an FA* 200mm f2.8. Which isn't the best condition to use it as a walkaround lens.
<= 300mm <= F4 >= 580g Full Frame Lenses with Autofocus | PentaxForums.com

I don't think the 2x TC has been announced or even publicly scheduled - at least, I don't see it on the latest lens roadmap.
The 2x FF TCs have been mentioned in a interview with Ricoh officials in 2018.
Pentax interview collection - Pentax interview list - PentaxForums.com

And addidional confirmation leaked by Asahi man in my thread too:
FF TC - full frame teleconverter - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by angerdan; 12-03-2020 at 12:15 PM.