Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
12-04-2020, 03:32 PM   #46
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'd really like to see a comparison 85 1.4 and 200 2.8 if anyone has both.
I have both... "Sweetheart" Pentax-A*85mm F1.4 and "Gorgeous Lady" Pentax-A*200mm F2.8 ED

If that helps in any way or are your looking for the more modern glass stuff?

12-04-2020, 03:36 PM   #47
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by matroxication Quote
200mm Telephoto lens recommendation for Pentax K1 (Mark1)
If manual focus is ok by you... I can certainly recommend my "Gorgeous Lady" Pentax-A*200mm F2.8 ED on K1 bodies.
12-04-2020, 04:19 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I have an FA85, FA77, and your DFA200. If you want to see wide open comparisons I think I'll be doing a portrait shoot this weekend and could post a few from the K1.
There's no DFA200. Only FA*200, DA*200 and DFA*70-200.
12-04-2020, 04:38 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I haven't done a side-by-side comparison, but I have used the DFA*85 and DA*200 quite a bit recently. Feel free to wade through those Flickr albums - many of the images are full size jpegs if you want to pixel peep.

As a relatively compact compliment to the DFA28-105, I reckon the DA*200 would be perfect. The DFA*70-200 and DA*300 are superb, but by no means trivial carries.

I can not speak highly enough of the DFA*85, but if you're happy with your FA77 I'd save some coin.

12-04-2020, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #50
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
There's no DFA200. Only FA*200, DA*200 and DFA*70-200.
Thanks. DA*200. It's in my signature.
12-04-2020, 07:18 PM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
If manual focus is ok by you... I can certainly recommend my "Gorgeous Lady" Pentax-A*200mm F2.8 ED on K1 bodies.
That would be awesome... the differences between these lenses from my perspective is largely academic. The newer models are slightly better but, you have to know where to look to see the difference.
12-04-2020, 08:20 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
good luck

not sure where you will purchase it, but would they have a return policy ?

or could you find a place that would rent one to you ?

hands on experience may be the only way to solve the issue of whether it is too heavy for your purpose
Renting option is good but require minimum of 6 months of renting and it costs at least 30% of the lens cost. Am also checking if any store has stock to actually experience it in person.

---------- Post added 12-04-20 at 08:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Yeah, I want Pentax to develop a 300/2.8, but I won't buy it Too pricey, and as you say it will be large. Last year I was tempted by an A* 300/2.8 for $1000, but it's a pound and a half heavier than my Tamron 300/2.8 360B, so I decided not burden myself further.

Apologies to the OP for going so far off topic...
No issues Its good that all the options are being placed on the table which really helps me to decide the right one. Even if Pentax is going to release 300/2.8, its going to be very expensive and heavy. So probably may not be the right option.

---------- Post added 12-04-20 at 08:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Given that I'm here I may as well comment.

The F 70-210 was a last attempt to improve IQ without the expense of aspherical elements. It purple fringes worse than any of the above mentioned, to the point where it is impossible to use with a TC, as the TC will magnify the purple fringing.

I've used it as a"take along in case needed when you don' expect to use it" type lens. In the session from which this was taken, a mink spotted in a pond while going shopping, in the end I wished I brought my DA*60-250. I got some images, but purple fringing ruined many of them.

I recommend it only to folks who can't afford better. It will cost you some images. Anyone with a DA 55-300 PLM seriously doesn't need it and shouldn't consider it.

When looking for quality lenses, I usually don't look at lenses rated less than 9, preferably 9.5 or over. Above 9, it can be really hard to see any difference between images taken with any of them with constant framing and DoF.

Not entirely, it's a decision that has to be made lens by lens.
Very true. Better to get a zoom lens with better quality that results in more number of keepers.

---------- Post added 12-04-20 at 09:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Lots of good advice and experience here. Comes down to costs (financial AND weight burden, which isn’t insignificant even for the strong and capable, especially after an hour of shooting with a DFA 70-200) vs benefits (IQ and aesthetic effect for the purpose, i.e. best effect for portraiture), and availability, which on the top of my list would be the DA* 200, then probably Tamron 70-200 (good versatility and speed), then the 135 primes (notwithstanding how hard they are to find for sale). The sweet spot for single person portraiture to me is 100-150mm with an f/2.8 or faster lens.

But if cost were no barrier, I’d consider the DFA 85/1.4, which I presume would bring the wow factor to portraiture.

Don’t forget the very decent DFA 100 macro. Very good also for portraits and a decent bokeh at the f/2.8-5.6 range.
Thanks Ash. Yes, lot of good suggestions indeed. I already have Pentax 100mm WR macro but I feel its too sharp for the portraits. I have to soften the skin on PP. You can see all the marks and pores on the skin which is not good. Pentax DFA* 85 is amazing lens and on heavier side but since I already have 77 ltd, 100 macro, I don't think it would be good to invest on that lens. Considering the hefty price tag, I will not be allowed by my wify to buy any more lens in next few years

12-04-2020, 09:21 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have an FA85, FA77, and your DFA200. If you want to see wide open comparisons I think I'll be doing a portrait shoot this weekend and could post a few from the K1. But I don't have the HD DFA85 if that's the one you wanted to see.
Thanks gatorguy, That would be great. Am very interested to see how 85/1.4 compares with 200/2.8 compares for portraits.

---------- Post added 12-04-20 at 09:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I haven't done a side-by-side comparison, but I have used the DFA*85 and DA*200 quite a bit recently. Feel free to wade through those Flickr albums - many of the images are full size jpegs if you want to pixel peep.

As a relatively compact compliment to the DFA28-105, I reckon the DA*200 would be perfect. The DFA*70-200 and DA*300 are superb, but by no means trivial carries.

I can not speak highly enough of the DFA*85, but if you're happy with your FA77 I'd save some coin.
Nice photos and great knives yeah, if I have not bought 77 ltd, I would have probably got either DFA* 50 1.4 or DFA*85 1.4 But 77ltd is a great lens by itself especially for its weight. I can even carry that lens in my pocket

I was very close in pulling the trigger for 300* f4 during the back Friday sales since there are lot of positive reviews for it. But I was not 100% sure on the fixed focal length especially when you want to take picture of kids and hence was in dilemma.

---------- Post added 12-04-20 at 09:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Am still not comfortable in taking pictures with manual lenses. At one point, I was very interested in Samyang 135mm f2 lens and every praised that lens for its sharpness and bokeh. For studio work, it would be great but not on the field especially while taking pictures of moving subjects.
12-04-2020, 09:50 PM - 3 Likes   #54
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

They are all excellent lenses.

DFA*85 portraits

DA*200 portraits

FA77 portraits

DFA*70-200 portraits

FA*85 portraits

12-05-2020, 12:19 AM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
They are all excellent lenses.

DFA*85 portraits

DA*200 portraits

FA77 portraits

DFA*70-200 portraits

FA*85 portraits

Lovely pictures and thanks for sharing. DFA 85* 1.4 is crazy sharp even at 1.4. Its an amazing lens. 77ltd is little bit soft when shot wide open.
12-05-2020, 08:17 AM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by matroxication Quote
Thanks gatorguy, That would be great. Am very interested to see how 85/1.4 compares with 200/2.8 compares for portraits.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 12-04-20 at 09:42 PM ----------
So this mornings portrait shoot has to be rescheduled. It's dreary and misty and cooler than expected. Needless to say she's having a bad hair day.
I'll try to find a volunteer later today or tomorrow and get those shots for you.

EDIT: Well nevermind, Sandy to the rescue! Pressure off...
Great examples too Sandy. I'm still a bit partial to the *200 ones you posted, a certain softness that plays well for portraits, but those FA77's and DFA85's look great too. Thank goodness I already had an FA85 because I would have jumped on your DFA and blown my photo budget thru April.

Last edited by gatorguy; 12-05-2020 at 08:24 AM.
12-05-2020, 02:00 PM - 1 Like   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
Look at the old F series 70-210, great quality, small for walkaround and very good value
I was about to write the same, but you beat me to it, Gary.

It's an oldie but goldie, readily avaliable on shreekbay and elsewhere at around 80-100 USD. Probably the best IQ/dollar out there.
Just make sure you get a mechanically OK copy. I've had three. One is perfect, the second is a bit stiff in the zoom mechanism, the third literally fell apart when I took it out of the package.

Kjell
12-05-2020, 04:59 PM - 1 Like   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Can this perspective be achieved only with 200mm or more?

People | Today in Turin look like a summer day !! Happy East? | Flickr

It creates a nice OOF areas where in the subject is sharp.

---------- Post added 12-05-20 at 05:01 PM ----------

Thanks Kjell. I will keep my options open.

---------- Post added 12-05-20 at 05:02 PM ----------

So this mornings portrait shoot has to be rescheduled. It's dreary and misty and cooler than expected. Needless to say she's having a bad hair day.
I'll try to find a volunteer later today or tomorrow and get those shots for you.

EDIT: Well nevermind, Sandy to the rescue! Pressure off...
Great examples too Sandy. I'm still a bit partial to the *200 ones you posted, a certain softness that plays well for portraits, but those FA77's and DFA85's look great too. Thank goodness I already had an FA85 because I would have jumped on your DFA and blown my photo budget thru April.
yeah, my heart was pulling me to buy one as well but my mind and pocket says no
12-17-2020, 10:18 AM - 3 Likes   #59

thanks to all here at the Pentax forum

after reading many posts on the subject (both lens and body combos), I'm happy to say I just placed my order for a PENTAX DA 200 2.8 ED (IF) SDM - used (Mint) at Adorama for $539 to use with my K-3. hoping to get by xmas.
I will post images as I test.
be well. be safe.
06-17-2021, 11:12 PM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Finally after back and forth with the decisions of the telephoto lenses and I pulled the trigger and ordered DFA 70-200 today even though my wife threatened with divorce papers :P

Taking the chance with the weight but in the end, my mind could not settle with either DA*200, DA*300 or DFA 70-210. Thanks everyone on this thread for the valuable inputs.