Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
12-06-2020, 05:23 PM   #16
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gian Quote
. . . Should I rather save the money and buy a K1 . . .
when I started to look at a K 1, I read the owners reviews and in depth reviews and learned what was being said about its strengths and weaknesses

and decided my photography interests led me to not get one

now, based on an offer I could not refused on an experienced K 1 II, I can use it when I am seeking its strengths and the K 3 and K 3 II when those are stronger

only you can decide how a K 1 or K 1 II works for your interests in photography

12-06-2020, 06:23 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you tried the ‘dot tune’ method of af fine tuning?

The typical image from the da21 isn’t that soft. I would rent another copy and also retune those lenses using ‘Dot Tune’ which leverages live view to help determine the af fine adjustment needed for PDAF.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 12-06-2020 at 09:57 PM.
12-06-2020, 07:34 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I agree something is very wrong with that photo. The fact that you mentioned live view gives better results suggests missed focus caused the problem (rather than camera shake or optical issues).
I completely agree.
12-06-2020, 08:44 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Dot tune is interesting, I had done my fine tune with care, but I'll go through it all over again.

The problem with my DA21 is consistent, I mean, I get poor results even with strong light and high shutter speeds.

I will re-shoot the same subject on a tripod, carefully focusing, and we'll see.

12-06-2020, 09:52 PM   #20
Pentaxian

So does this lens give results this poor (it does look very soft) when you use AF in live view, tripod-mounted?
12-06-2020, 10:02 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dot tune is interesting, I had done my fine tune with care, but I'll go through it all over again.

The problem with my DA21 is consistent, I mean, I get poor results even with strong light and high shutter speeds.

I will re-shoot the same subject on a tripod, carefully focusing, and we'll see.
That is weird. I shoot a k3 but I don’t have that lens. I like the iq I get but I’m honestly not a pixel peeper. I print some images at mostly 13x19 on my Canon Pro-100. I can see an increase in resolution over my m43 gear but both make acceptable prints at that size.
12-07-2020, 02:20 AM   #22
Veteran Member

There is definitely something wrong with that sample photo you shot. I second all the opinions here to try recalibrating your lens + body and see if you get better results.

Moving up to FF and using the same lenses will pretty much always get you more usable sharpness in terms of lw/ph, so you should gauge what kind of output you want.

12-07-2020, 05:50 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Definitely use Dot Tune to recalibrate AF on that lens. I have an FA80-320 which was horribly soft most of the time unless focussed via LV. It turned out to need -8 on fine AF adjustment which transformed the results.
12-07-2020, 01:37 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
these birds on the mountain top were used to people
The DA 21 as a birding lens! Now I don't have to buy the 55-300.
12-08-2020, 06:20 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So, these two shots are taken on tripod, LV 100%, no SR, with no ambition to make a scientific test.
The 21 is indeed softer than 70.
Later this week I will Dot Tune the lens, but a quick and dirty test made this very moment on my desk, against a BW printed text, LV100%, confirms that if you press the AF button more than once, without moving the camera, you get different readings.
So the my K3-ii is "guessing", and the results are unpredictable: maybe right, maybe wrong.
I don't know if this is a problem of "my" K3-ii, but I don't recall this kind of issues with the K5.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
12-08-2020, 09:34 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have considered that I may have a camera issue here.
If I have a perfectly tuned lens, but the camera changes it's mind every time I press AF, I'll never have an effective tool in my hands.
Do you think my K3-ii needs service, or things like that just happen?
My simple test was done with the camera sitting on my desk, pointing a large, well lit barcode.
12-09-2020, 06:16 PM   #27

I did operate K-3 HD DA-15 combo few years ago

After I sold the K-3 body, I moved to K-1 FA-31. HD DA-15 still in my arsenal, just less chance to work with.

I'd say that FA-31mm ain't really no "Wide" lens.

I think the best term to describe FA-31mm's view angle is , moderate, little wider than the standard 35mm (on FF body).

While both FA-31 and HD DA-15 are wide lens, they dun got much in common. HD DA-15 is much not aggressive and landscape-oriented.

You can visit my K-1 album with FA-31 on flickr

Pentax K-1 | Flickr
12-10-2020, 09:39 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hayashi Quote
I did operate K-3 HD DA-15 combo few years ago

After I sold the K-3 body, I moved to K-1 FA-31. HD DA-15 still in my arsenal, just less chance to work with.

I'd say that FA-31mm ain't really no "Wide" lens.

I think the best term to describe FA-31mm's view angle is , moderate, little wider than the standard 35mm (on FF body).

While both FA-31 and HD DA-15 are wide lens, they dun got much in common. HD DA-15 is much not aggressive and landscape-oriented.

You can visit my K-1 album with FA-31 on flickr

Pentax K-1 | Flickr
35 is a moderate wide angle as is any lens up to about 28mm. The da 15 which is just a tad wider than a 24mm which is where I would say very wide or ultra wide starts.
12-10-2020, 01:15 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
While doing the Dot Tune procedure, I noticed that if you touch the front lens of the DA21, it goes easily out of focus.

Indeed, it has some play: maybe this is why when I press AF multiple times, it changes focus?
12-10-2020, 07:59 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

While doing the Dot Tune procedure, I noticed that if you touch the front lens of the DA21, it goes easily out of focus.

Indeed, it has some play: maybe this is why when I press AF multiple times, it changes focus?
Do you mean the glass is loose or that the focusing group can easily be moved manually while it’s on the camera?