Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2020, 02:29 AM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax K1 and FA 80-320 mm F-- error

Hi guys,

I bought that lens from an eBay seller, it looks good but I get "F--" blinching error on viewfinder. I can see and zoom even in live mode, but autofocus does not work and I can't shoot in any mode
Shouldn't it work for K1?

12-21-2020, 02:38 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is the aperture ring on the lens set to the 'A' position?

Is the AF-MF camera setting set to AF?

Check and clean the lens contacts, both on the body and the lens, by giving them a rub with a soft cloth.
12-21-2020, 02:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The most common reason is an aperture ring not set to A. If it is, then there is good chance the lens is defective. That said there is a setting on your body that will allow to take shots nonetheless (Allow Use of Aperture Ring) but autofocus will be out.
12-21-2020, 03:49 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by corvaz Quote
Shouldn't it work for K1?
"F--" in the status display just means that the camera does not detect a lens that supports aperture control from the camera.* It most often occurs with adapted lenses and original K and M series lenses that lack the required mount contacts. Since your FA series lens does have the required contacts, the usual cause is not having the aperture ring locked in the "A" position so that those contacts are enabled.

Steve

* When F-- is displayed, all automated exposure modes default to Av mode with the lens remaining wide open regardless of aperture ring position. Manual modes (M, X, and B) continue to be operational except that metering is limited to stopped down methods using the green button or optical preview lever. P-TTL flash is also not available.

12-21-2020, 03:57 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks you all... Yes there was a ring not set on A now it's working!
12-21-2020, 07:46 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Good to know! This information is also on page 109 of the camera manual as part of the documentation for the menu setting to enable the aperture ring.

Steve
12-21-2020, 07:47 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am glad to hear that. My own copy some years ago developed these same symptoms but with the ring in the right place. Those lenses are more fragile than they look. Room what I recall there is a small internal plastic bit that can break that disabled mine.