Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-28-2020, 05:37 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Loose LCD screws on K-1

Just a heads up that the outer most 2 screws on the LCD assembly have come loose on my K-1 and I have lost one of them.
These are the two screws beside where the flexible lead goes into the LCD.
I found a replacement screw in an old M42 extension tube.
Symptom was a loose feeling screen when extended.
It is probably a good idea to check they are firm rather than losing one.

12-28-2020, 06:05 PM   #2

Sounds like a job for some thread lock.
12-28-2020, 06:08 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I buy and sell lots of cameras and lenses. Whenever I receive any new-to-me used camera I do a complete inspection, including tightening all external screws that I can reach. It's not uncommon to find loose screws on new-to-me used cameras (and lenses too) that I buy. So, your situation is does not come as a surprise to me, but thank you for pointing it out as I'm sure this heads-up alert will be of interest to others!
12-28-2020, 06:09 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Sounds like a job for some thread lock.

I repair lots of lenses and cameras, and would NEVER think of using thread lock (or glue) on any screws. Doing so may render future repairs difficult if not impossible.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 12-29-2020 at 11:05 AM.
12-28-2020, 06:43 PM - 2 Likes   #5

Light duty thread lock is meant to "break" easily. And the instructions on heavy duty thread lock say it can be released with the application of heat.

Light duty thread lock will release easier than screws that have been torqued down too tight. If they screws have been torqued too tight thread lock isn't going to matter.

When servicing lenses of which I am the original owner from the sixties I sometimes find thread lock had been applied at the factory.
12-28-2020, 07:21 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Just a heads up that the outer most 2 screws on the LCD assembly have come loose on my K-1 and I have lost one of them.
There was a recent thread where a forum member bought an open-box K-1ii from the Ricoh Imaging Web site only to discover the rear LCD screws were loose soon after taking delivery. Were yours stripped or had they backed out of their holes?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/189-repairs-warranty-service/416486-my-s...r-bad-one.html

Steve
12-28-2020, 07:22 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

When servicing lenses of which I am the original owner from the sixties I sometimes find thread lock had been applied at the factory.
I have seen that too, but more commonly lacquer applied to the head.

Steve

12-28-2020, 08:46 PM   #8

Factory applied thread lock:

Kiron 80-200mm f/4 zoom

Kiron (Lester Dine) 105mm f/2.8 macro (I have two, both have thread lock in same places)

Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50mm f/4 macro

On the other 105mm macro I had to readjust the range scale (not the one pictured). It also had thread lock applied to the same screws. Absolutely no extra resistance was encountered although it may have been worked on before but on examination of the screws this did not seem to be the case .

If the screws had thread lock originally and I had to remove the screws I'll reapply lock.

I resent the implication that I indiscriminately use thread lock or modify my equipment.
12-28-2020, 08:59 PM   #9
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Factory applied thread lock:

Kiron 80-200mm f/4 zoom

Kiron (Lester Dine) 105mm f/2.8 macro (I have two, both have thread lock in same places)

Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50mm f/4 macro

On the other 105mm macro I had to readjust the range scale (not the one pictured). It also had thread lock applied to the same screws. Absolutely no extra resistance was encountered although it may have been worked on before but on examination of the screws this did not seem to be the case .

If the screws had thread lock originally and I had to remove the screws I'll reapply lock.

I resent the implication that I indiscriminately use thread lock or modify my equipment.
Looks like factory applied lacquer to me.
12-28-2020, 09:08 PM   #10
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There was a recent thread where a forum member bought an open-box K-1ii from the Ricoh Imaging Web site only to discover the rear LCD screws were loose soon after taking delivery. Were yours stripped or had they backed out of their holes?

My second warranty experience with Pentax/Precision is looking like another bad one. - PentaxForums.com

Steve
They had backed off. But I had wondered if there was a bit of impact damage involved. There are actually 4 holes in the mount - 2 for screws . The LCD had a white speck corresponding to the other holes - I couldn't tell whether it was a locator pin perhaps sheared off or just a bonding point. Very tiny and I was not about to disassemble further to examine it because the cable attachment is right there. But my camera gets a rough life in my backpack.
12-29-2020, 09:50 AM   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
my camera gets a rough life in my backpack.
I'm full of admiration when I read things like this. If my camera isn't hanging from my shoulder or neck, it's in a padded camera bag or in my cupboard at home. I don't baby my gear, but I'm careful with it... often too careful, I think
12-29-2020, 11:23 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Properly tightened screws is important. Obviously, too loose is not good. But too tight (from either over-tightening,thread-locker, lacquer) can also be a problem.

Some screws in older lenses are made of a non-ferrous metal (aluminum?) and tend to easily strip or even break off. Also, some steel screws are of inferior quality and they too can strip or break more easily than first quality screws. Either stripping the head of a screw or breaking the head off completely while trying to extract (or tighten) a screw is a challenging problem that I'd rather not have to face.
12-29-2020, 01:23 PM   #13
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'm full of admiration when I read things like this. If my camera isn't hanging from my shoulder or neck, it's in a padded camera bag or in my cupboard at home. I don't baby my gear, but I'm careful with it... often too careful, I think
When over night trekking, space ,weight and also accessability is an issue. So my raincoat and jersey suffice for padding mostly and a wet bag available for when things get nasty. It is not so much the trekking that is hazardous to the camera but rather the handling when it is not on my back.
12-29-2020, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Remember that Japanese screws have a different standard than similar screws found in the USA. Japanese use JIS screws and drivers, The screw head looks like a regular Philips screw head but it is not and the head can be stripped if using the wrong driver.
Also, concerning thread lock, some of these will cause plastic to become brittle and easily break.
12-29-2020, 01:57 PM   #15
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
Remember that Japanese screws have a different standard than similar screws found in the USA. Japanese use JIS screws and drivers, The screw head looks like a regular Philips screw head but it is not and the head can be stripped if using the wrong driver.
The fact I didn't mention was you can't quite line up on the screw to tighten it. A straight fine single blade screwdriver is likely the best tool despite the the screw having a cross head.