Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2021, 08:51 AM - 10 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love my K-1, but...

I really wish the "No Card in Camera" would appear prominently upon start up, BEFORE I walked far from my camera bag and tried to capture a once-in-a-lifetime image.

01-05-2021, 08:55 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I really wish the "No Card in Camera" would appear prominently upon start up, BEFORE I walked far from my camera bag and tried to capture a once-in-a-lifetime image.
LOL...
Most of us have probably been there. I've begun grabbing an extra card and putting it in my shirt pocket when I go hiking/nature shooting since it's happened to me more than once. In fact, I remember shooting for a half hour or more in one case before realizing the image I reviewed after the shot existed only in memory and everything before was gone, gone, gone. Completely missed the No Card notice until well into the hike. Duh!
01-05-2021, 09:12 AM - 4 Likes   #3
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That's why there's two slots. One to use and one to permanently store back up card
01-05-2021, 09:14 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With the power grip on my camera I have a card that stays in the provided compartment on the battery tray. Actually had to use it once! Came in handy when I got carried away and filled the other card.

01-05-2021, 09:15 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
That's why there's two slots. One to use and one to permanently store back up card
There is on my K1 (I pull both cards periodically anyway just to copy and then format) but not on my K70's.

Still good advice about leaving one in the K1 until filled for a safety measure if nothing else even though I only shoot RAW and it fills relatively fast. I haven't been doing that.
01-05-2021, 09:25 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've adopted a loose routine of unloading the cards one by one, e.g. copy the files off and back into the camera. It's saved my butt a couple times now. I've gone to pull SD1 to find it didn't make it back into the camera and I lucked out with SD2 present.
01-05-2021, 09:52 AM - 4 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

I've kept all my older small SD cards and distributed them into every backpack, fanny pack, camera bag, and suitcase I own. A 1 or 2 GB card might not be sufficient for high volume shooting but it can save the day if I face a "no card," "full card," or "card error" while out and about.

That said, I agree that more prominent warnings at start-up would be nice.

01-05-2021, 10:03 AM - 2 Likes   #8

I also only remove 1 card at a time, and have an old card in each of my bags, but I wish I didn't have to do the dance to switch back to the slot I want to use.
01-05-2021, 10:06 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

We could strongly suggest an electric shock feature, perhaps?

Alternatively...always leave at least one card in the camera.

Steve
01-05-2021, 10:09 AM - 4 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

Kind of inbuilt memory (say for 50 images) would save me several times.
01-05-2021, 10:24 AM - 4 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm another one who has become a dual card slot believer. I have a large sized card permanently in the #2 slot, and then rotate out the card in the #1 slot for transfers, then reformat those cards. I've got a little system going with Think Tank card wallets and how I load the cards into them---face out for "ready to format", face in for "needs transfer" or "needs to be checked".

That said, having the #2 slot loaded up with that large card has saved me not only from the card not being in the #1 slot, but also when I've lost track of something I've shot---I've been able to go back through the files on the #2 card and find things.

And I've found all of this very helpful when I've been running my Z and K1mkII simultaneously, which happened a fair bit since July.
01-05-2021, 10:41 AM - 3 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A "Beep" of some sort with a simultaneous (flashing) visual indication on both top and rear LCD's signaling the absence of a card?
How hard could this be implemented via software?
01-05-2021, 10:44 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
A "Beep" of some sort with a simultaneous (flashing) visual indication on both top and rear LCD's signaling the absence of a card?
How about mirror-up until a card is inserted?

Steve
01-05-2021, 11:00 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
Yeah, but I write JPG to my second card. I do this for a couple reasons...

1 - It's fast and doesn't take up much space
2 - Because it doesn't take up much space, when I am on a shoot, I only have to change the RAW card all day, and then pull the JPG card at the end of the day.
3 - If I do forget to put back card 1 for that once in a lifetime shot, at least I'll get a JPG on card 2.

Eric
01-05-2021, 11:02 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Not a bad idea at all.