Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
01-18-2021, 06:49 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
What if you use DCU but process the image without motion correction?
@Rondec: I guess we should ask @wanderer2 to try these experiments. I only try to support him to find his way. :-)

01-21-2021, 08:32 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks again for all of the replies and help. To clarify, here's what I want to do. I would like to keep the four birds in the image but to proceed to process that file with some routine adjustmemts - sharpness, haze reduciton, highlights / shadow adjustments, etc. I ordinarily do that in Affinity Photo but when I import the file into that program the image only has one bird, I assume because it's the first of the four exposures shot in PSR and AP can't process such a file, as has been described in the discussion above.

I have resurrected RawTherapee and immediately became lost in it, making me recall why I never progressed to using it. This is not the program's fault but mine, because of my limited understanding and skill using processing programs. So I would like to do whatever I need to do in RT to preserve the 4 birds when I move the file from RT to AP for further processing. If anyone can explain in detail the steps I need to do in RT to accomplish that I would be very appreciative. I would like to keep the involvement in RT as simple as possible, doing just enough to be able to export the file to AP and proceed from there with the four birds intact. I will have a lot of use for this in the future as I am currently shooting many mountain scenes using PSR and then HDR merges because of the high range from shadows to highlights, and as of now Affinity Photo simply uses the first exposure of PSR so I'm not gettng any benefit from PSR. At least, that's how I interpret the situation and some comparisons with PSR and non-PSR used in this way seem to bear this out. Thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice.
01-22-2021, 10:52 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wanderer2 Quote
Thanks again for all of the replies and help. To clarify, here's what I want to do. I would like to keep the four birds in the image but to proceed to process that file with some routine adjustmemts - sharpness, haze reduciton, highlights / shadow adjustments, etc. I ordinarily do that in Affinity Photo but when I import the file into that program the image only has one bird, I assume because it's the first of the four exposures shot in PSR and AP can't process such a file, as has been described in the discussion above.

I have resurrected RawTherapee and immediately became lost in it, making me recall why I never progressed to using it. This is not the program's fault but mine, because of my limited understanding and skill using processing programs. So I would like to do whatever I need to do in RT to preserve the 4 birds when I move the file from RT to AP for further processing. If anyone can explain in detail the steps I need to do in RT to accomplish that I would be very appreciative. I would like to keep the involvement in RT as simple as possible, doing just enough to be able to export the file to AP and proceed from there with the four birds intact. I will have a lot of use for this in the future as I am currently shooting many mountain scenes using PSR and then HDR merges because of the high range from shadows to highlights, and as of now Affinity Photo simply uses the first exposure of PSR so I'm not gettng any benefit from PSR. At least, that's how I interpret the situation and some comparisons with PSR and non-PSR used in this way seem to bear this out. Thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice.
I wrote some lines of a possible process. Here are step's short story. For every frame create a 16 bit tiff within RawTherapee and transfer this image directly to Affinity Photo. There you copy all image layers together where you can apply masking to create your "4 bird" image. Melt them to one and apply all adjustments you like.

Here in more detail - good luck!

I only did a quick test without a four bird scenery PSR but using as "standard" PSR file on my Mac.

Pease try it and report if it works. Of course I'd like to see the result in this thread.

< Raw Therapee >

I. Preferences (=> get ready for export frames / subimages to Affinity Photo)

1. Go to General tab
2. Set external editor custom command line to ... open -a "Affinity Photo"

II. Browser

1. Show the browser area
2. Within the RawTherapee Browser PSR images show the tag "PS". By double click open the image within the Editor view

III. Demosaicing

1. Go to the Raw demosaicing tab (6th tab)
2. Select Demosaicing Method "Pixel Shift"
3. Select Subimage 1
4. Masking would eliminate the other "tree" birds I guess. So set Motion Correction Off.
What you like to do may also work with Motion Correction On or Auto. This way you may even get real PSR advantages cause the the important masking you do in Affinity Photo. Hope you know how to work with layers and masks in Affinity Photo?!
5. Press the "External Editor Button" to export the frame to Affinity Photo.
6. You now can see the frame as a tabbed window in Affinity Photo Editor. It should be of format 16 bit tiff with color profile RTv4_Large (similar to ProPhoto RGB).
7. Go back to RawTherapee and repeat step 4 to 5 for the other Subimgages No. 2 to 4 your PSR file.

You now you'll have four tabs with the four generated single frames of your PSR image within Affinity Photo. There you'll continue your work.

< Affinity Photo>

IV. Affinity Photo

1. Select one Image after the other an rename the layer to it's frame number (by example).
2. Copy each frame layer from it's file and paste it into the first affiniy photo working file.
3. For each frame you now should find one layer within the layer tool of the first image.

This is the base where you can use masking to get all four birds to be seen in the first image.

You can now make one out of the four layers, make adjustments as you like and export it.

V. RawPedia
RawPedia is the really nice Wiki style documentation of RawTherapee.

You should at least have a look at the following Topics:

1. Color Management - Output Profile
2. Preferences - External Editor

VI. YouTube Videos

By the way - your post triggered me to look at some RT videos on YouTube.

These two I highly recommend:

Last edited by acoufap; 01-23-2021 at 03:35 AM. Reason: Some additions made: Process, RawPedia-Links
01-22-2021, 04:07 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info above. I will give it a try and post what happens but it may take awhile, given I am starting with zero knowledge of RawTherapee.

01-23-2021, 03:49 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the info above. I will give it a try and post what happens but it may take awhile, given I am starting with zero knowledge of RawTherapee.
I'm also no RawTherapee expert! - Until now only checked how I can do the pixel shift development and export it in 16 bit tiff to continue working on the image in Capture One Pro.

Your post let me check what more is "in the RT-box". After having a look at RawPedia and YouTube videos I get more and more impressed. With Version 5.8 there's even a sharpness mask similar ACR's available and you can use a digital GND filter, ...

To start you should have a look at a video for RT starters on YouTube. You don't need much time (maybe around 15. Minutes) for that. After that you should know how the user interface works in general. You don't need to know how every single function works. Just start using the basic ones. With real experience you'll learn fast. Don't hesitate! -
01-24-2021, 04:38 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since weather wasn't that nice I did a test using a pendulum, made Pixel Shift Images and developed them in RT using Demosaicing method Pixel Shift without and with motion correction. Here are the results.

1. To make the captures I used a KP. Here you see the display of the KP before setting PS mode. In PS mode ES (Electonic Shutter) is used and Shake Reduction is set off. Pendulum in the middle.

2. Pixel shift without motion correction - selecting the different frames yield to the same image. That looks like:

Without motion correction you get all pendulum positions in the image, but since all four images are mixed somehow the pendulum at the different positions doesn't look proper - it's mixed with 3x background of the other captures. So this really isn't a good starting point for further image development. Looks like the four bird scenery of your image.

3. Now let's see what motion correction delivers. I chose motion correction "Custom". The following image shows the motion mask:

4. Now lets see what happens when I choose the different frames:

In every image you see artefacts of the not main frame pendulum positions that should be completely masked. You can get this areas clean using masking in Affinity Photo.

My Conclusion:

1. If using PSR to get four fast intervall images choose motion correction in RT and export the images to Affinity Photo or another similar tool with layering functionality. Remove artefacts manually if needed.
2. Better use continuous shooting for such sceneries. You get clean single images. But you also have to use layering and masking to get you main subject with different positions into one image.
3. If you shot using PSR because you had not the time to change your shooting mode, you split the DNG file into four DNG files and put them together in Affinity Photo. Someone mentioned a tool named PixelShift2DNG - I guess this was in another thread because I didn't find it here.

Last edited by acoufap; 01-24-2021 at 05:17 AM.
01-24-2021, 10:05 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just discovered - you can get every single frame from RT to AffinityPhoto without any artefacts if you just NOT choose Pixel Shift Demosaicing. Stay with AMAZE and you can also choose every single frame of the multi frame exposure. So it's even easier. Have to correct this in my post from yesterday.

01-26-2021, 04:03 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've finally find some time to attempt to get this 4 bird file into RT, do enough to then be able to export it, and send it to Affinity Photo. But when I send the 4 bird file to RT it opens as a merged file of the four single bird files, that is, with only one bird. So RT is only opening one of the 4 files just as Affinity does. I was hoping RT would open the 4 merge file so I would have all 4 birds in the image but that has failed. Is there any way I can do that so I don't have to open each of the four files and re-merge them, but rather simply deal with the file with all 4 birds? All this is a bit hard to describe but my goal is to have a file with all 4 birds in the image and then process that to improve the image quality.

I'm finding RT absolutely mystifying!

Thanks.
01-26-2021, 09:48 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've finally find some time to attempt to get this 4 bird file into RT, do enough to then be able to export it, and send it to Affinity Photo. But when I send the 4 bird file to RT it opens as a merged file of the four single bird files, that is, with only one bird. So RT is only opening one of the 4 files just as Affinity does. I was hoping RT would open the 4 merge file so I would have all 4 birds in the image but that has failed. Is there any way I can do that so I don't have to open each of the four files and re-merge them, but rather simply deal with the file with all 4 birds? All this is a bit hard to describe but my goal is to have a file with all 4 birds in the image and then process that to improve the image quality.

I'm finding RT absolutely mystifying!

Thanks.
My latest post delivers the answer. Don‘t use Pixel Shift as Demosaicing Method. Just select the frame number and export. So to get every single frame of a PS image exported you have to do do it four times. In Affinity Photo you have to copy each layer into one Affinity Photo file and then merge them there to get all four birds in one image.
01-28-2021, 04:14 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks to all for the input, information, and advice. Somewhere buried in a computer I have RawTherapee and DCU. I will try to use one of them for PSR files. Are there any other photo editing apps that will process PSR files? What about Luminar 4 - I have that one also. Thanks again.
I have never used RawTherapee and the only processing of PSR files I have ever done is some HDR merges and I did not realize at the time that Affinity Photo only used the first of the 4 PSR images for the HDR merge - at least, that's what I understand happened.

So I am quite lost in working with PSR files in RawTherapee and need help. I've found RawTherapee very difficult to understand (my fault, not it's). The only thing like an operators manual that I can find on the internet for RawTherapee is RawPedia and I've printed it and will study it. Are there any other manuals available for the software that would help me? I know there are instructional videos available but I learn much better from the printed page rather than verbal methods. I hope to acquire enough knowledge to be able to extensively process PSR files as they are so easy to shoot with my K-1 and, as I understand it, produce better images for some landscape work.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.