Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-19-2021, 11:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Can't Turn Off Highlight Alert

Sometime recently the Highligh Alert function got turned on in my older K-1 and I have not been able to find a way to turn it off. I have searched throughout the Operating Manual and on page 15 there are instructions to set or unset this function in the Playback Mode menu. It says to "Set in (Highlight Alert) of (Image Display" in the 'arrow in box' menu".

My camera shows "LCD Display" instead ot "Image Display" but does then show Highlight Alert with a box to check for on and to uncheck for off. Despite unchecking the box my camera still shows the red Highlight Alerts in LIve View. I have turned this on and off several times by checking and unchecking the box and it continues to show the red alerts with the box either checked and unchecked.

This is the only place in the Manual that I have found any information on this but it is easy to miss things. If anyone has a solution to this problem I would be very appreciative. Thanks.

01-19-2021, 12:02 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To turn off the feature for playback, use:
menu --> playback --> image display --> highlight alert
To turn off the feature in Live View:
menu --> record mode 5 --> live view --> highlight alert
To turn off the feature in Instant Review:
menu --> record mode 5 --> instant review --> highlight alert

Steve
01-19-2021, 12:06 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
At my K-3 I have 2 versions of 'highlight alert', one for LV and one for image replay.
Both have to be activated or deactivated separately in the menu (For my K-3 it's: camera menu - 3 - LV - highlight alert, or replay/playback menu - 1 - highlight alert).
If you can't find it you can always try a camera reset.
01-19-2021, 12:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
To turn off the feature for playback, use:
menu --> playback --> image display --> highlight alert
To turn off the feature in Live View:
menu --> record mode 5 --> live view --> highlight alert
To turn off the feature in Instant Review:
menu --> record mode 5 --> instant review --> highlight alert

Steve
Thanks very much for the help. The instruction on turning off the feature in live view workered perfectly. Is this anywhere in the Operating Manual? I still can't find it. It certainly should be. If it isn't in the Manual how did you find it? Thanks to both of you.

01-19-2021, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wanderer2 Quote
Is this anywhere in the Operating Manual?
It is in the manual, though ferreting the information might be a challenge. I do a fair amount of "manual diving" in regards to requests similar to yours and knew the places to look. I just went to the menu documentation for the three views where I knew highlight alert was an option. Doing a text search of the pdf would have been another option.

Steve
01-19-2021, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

<snip>

Doing a text search of the pdf would have been another option.

Steve
That is why I prefer a PDF to a printed manual, and I can put it on my phone or tablet for use in the field !
01-19-2021, 07:08 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Doing a text search of the pdf would have been another option.
As 35mmfilmfan says, this is a benefit of a pdf file. A lot of folks may not be aware that you can do a text search of such files with, e.g., Acrobat Reader. Just pick the right search word! In my version of Reader, it's available as a little magnifying glass with 3 dots in it in the (I guess) tool line menu.

01-20-2021, 12:45 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
As 35mmfilmfan says, this is a benefit of a pdf file. A lot of folks may not be aware that you can do a text search of such files with, e.g., Acrobat Reader. Just pick the right search word! In my version of Reader, it's available as a little magnifying glass with 3 dots in it in the (I guess) tool line menu.
Yep

After the first session of my Basic Photography class, when I get a list of student e-Mail addresses and camera models, every student gets an email with a link to the PDF Manual for their camera.

Save the file.

Then open the saved file. You can search the entire manual by keyword. Its free!