Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 32 Likes Search this Thread
02-04-2021, 12:04 PM   #1

I would like to go full frame, but ...

...the K1 is quite big and heavy and it is the only digital choice for a pentax shooter. When is a camera to heavy ?
What are your thougts and experiences with the K1, especially when combined with a heavy lens ?

A good advice is needed.

p.s. I currently own the 77 mm limited and I consider purchasing the upcomming 21 mm limited and the Laowa 100mm.

02-04-2021, 12:55 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well the K-1 is heavier than say a K-3 but its not that much bigger. I went from a K-5 to a k-1. Personally I quite like the weight as the camera fits in my hands very nicely.

Agree that with the faster zooms, it does make it a big and heavier system (too big for me anyway). Personally I have opted for the DFA 28-105 (surprisingly useful performance and a nice size) along with FA 31, 43 and 77. Also use a A 50 f1.2 (I really like it on the K-1), a K 17mm fisheye and, as a stop gap, a FAJ 18-35.
I shoot mainly landscape but walk a lot with my gear and so weight and size is a factor for me. Sometime I might just take a couple lenses - in which case usually one of them is the FA43 as its a very useful lens on FF.

The system is working out really well for me. I really really really would like that DFA 21 though to fill stop gap though (FAJ 18-35 is nice and light but performance is a bit marginal)!
02-04-2021, 01:03 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you think the camera is too big and heavy you should not think about FF camera.
02-04-2021, 01:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was wandering around town yesterday - er, I mean taking my daily exercise on a route that led through town - with a 43mm Ltd on the K-1 slung over my shoulder (the 77 is not much heavier) - and I really didn't think about the weight at all. As has been mentioned, if you're going to pair it with the D-FA*70-200/2.8, then you'll kn o about it, but with Ltd lenses any inconvenience is tiny compared to the joy of the results you get.

02-04-2021, 01:23 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
I have the K1 along with several models of APSc Pentax's the question I have is why do you want to go full frame? If you find the K1 to big and heavy it will only seem more so when mated with the 24-70 or 70-200 . The APSc's will give you very good results and if it feel right in your hands then stay with it.
02-04-2021, 01:27 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The camera is too heavy when it's too heavy for you. Not all of us are used to physical work and carrying weight, but only you can answer the question. Don't leave the lenses out of the equation, though; a selection of those desirable f/2.8 zooms are much weightier than the extra weight of an FF camera. I added up the weight of a three-lens FF outfit using Pentax f/2.8 zooms and was mildly horrified to find it came to 4.5kg without my essential tripod.
02-04-2021, 01:31 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I will be 70 next month. I do not find the K1 all that heavy. I can still hand hold it with the D FA 150-450 lens attached too. I prefer to use tripod for the big glass, but I can handle it in a pinch. If I were doing any serious hiking I may have a different opinion, but the camera fits great in my hands hand and helps a lot. I do use a BlackRapid Sport Breathe sling strap if I plan on toting it around for awhile. Very comfortable.

02-04-2021, 01:34 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Each person is different, but a few years ago I did some walking around in tourist mode (maybe 4 miles or so?) with my K-5 and three lenses including a Tamron 70-300 in my waist pack (and a second body in a backpack.) A year later, maybe two, I went back and did the same routes with everything the same except I replaced the Tamron with the 60-250 and carried it attached to the 2nd body in a very light over-the-shoulder holster. It was like night and day: my back hurt, my neck hurt, everything hurt. Was it me being a year or two older, or... well whatever, it was a completely different experience for me. I weigh over 200lbs so the change in weight was very small in percentage terms yet a completely different experience. In the first case I carried my tripod in my backpack. I did that for part of the day the second time but it just hurt too much, so I carried it instead - which was a big improvement. Later on I changed to a backpack with a hip belt (not that easy with also having a waist pack) and that was much better than without the waist belt,, but still too much for me, so now I just carry the tripod unless I temporarily need both hands for something. In fairness really only the waist pack or backpack could properly ride on my hips so that might not be a good comparison.

So what I'm saying is that I don't think anyone can answer your question, and you can't either, without actually living with a given combination for a while, and maybe experimenting with different carrying options. But do consider the weight of all your components not just the body. For example, you might find you want a longer lens with FF to get the same perspective you get now with a shorter/lighter lens on a crop body. I know... I can't believe I'm saying that and talking about the 60-250 in the same post.
02-04-2021, 01:36 PM   #9
Pentaxian

The god with K-1 is that it is solid quite well fitting in your hand kind a camera. After you hold it for a while,, you forget about the weight. Especially with FA 77. FA 77 being almost too small for it...that said, I do love my limiteds with K-1. Especially FA 31.
02-04-2021, 01:38 PM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by asko Quote
...the K1 is quite big and heavy and it is the only digital choice for a pentax shooter. . . . .
some of us might disagree that the full frame sensor K 1 and K 1 II are " the only digital choice for a pentax shooter "

there is the smaller ASP-C sensor camera bodies, the mirrorless camera bodies, the medium format camera bodies and the compact digital cameras

Pentax Digital Cameras and Film Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

personally I like full frame for some types of photography and ASP-C for other types

as far as size and weight

perhaps this web site might be of help

QuoteQuote:
Camera Size is a free online digital camera comparison tool. This web application was designed to help you compare one camera's size relative to another camera, and view each camera from different sides. The site is being continuously updated with new camera models, so you can compare the size of older cameras with the latest models.
Camera Size Comparison

as far as the 21 Limited and full frame sensor goes you may want to look at this article

QuoteQuote:
Full Frame Coverage of DA Lenses: Comprehensive Test
Which DA lenses cover the full 24x36 mm frame?
By PF Staff in Gear Guides on Jan 7, 2019

Read more at: Full Frame Coverage of DA Lenses: Comprehensive Test - Gear Guides | PentaxForums.com

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-04-2021 at 02:37 PM.
02-04-2021, 01:55 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Depends on so many factors about how and where you want to use it. I have both K-1 and K-3, as well as GR. With a big lens on a K-1 it is heavy, but it balances well. It's not that difficult to get used to it, regardless of what combination of lens and camera is used, except at the extremes - a long hike with a large f2.8 might be hard, but a K-1 and a FA43/77 is a dream to use. So hard to answer...
02-04-2021, 01:57 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by asko Quote
When is a camera to heavy ?
I think it depends on the user and the intended usage.

In the Pentax Forums user reviews, the weight of the K-1 or K-1 II is mentioned as "heavy" in only 4 out of 36 reviews.

Certain lenses, however, are commonly considered to be heavy: For the D FA* 70-200, 14 of 24 reviewers list 'weight' as a 'con', while 16 of 28 say the 15-30mm is heavy.

I don't own the K-1. At a photo gear expo a few years ago, I handled a K-1 paired with the 70-200/2.8 and a couple of other lenses of interest. The weight of the camera/lens combinations exceeded my comfort threshold. A lot of my photography is done during hikes or city walks, and I appreciate a relatively compact, lightweight system. I shoot with a K-3 II, and often use a DA* 50-135 and a DA 20-40mm Limited.

I would say that my physique and stamina is average -- I'm in between Superman and a 40-kg weakling.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 02-04-2021 at 02:34 PM.
02-04-2021, 01:59 PM - 6 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How you carry weight is a significant factor in your ability to carry it, including how long you can carry it without fatigue or local pain.

Personally, I’m 72 with a scoliosis and a couple of herniated discs, so I’m acutely aware of my limited ability to carry my camera gear for sustained periods. I did notice the increased weight of the K-1 over its APS-C predecessors, especially when I carried larger lenses like the FA*80-200/2.8, the FA*28-70 and the DFA*50/1.4.

The first thing I did was to discard my messenger bag in favour of a combined backpack/roll-on to carry the heavier lenses on a walking trip. The more even weight distribution of the backpack meant that I wasn’t loading my spine eccentrically, plus it was easier to transport my gear around airports and the like when I travelled abroad.

The second thing was to change my camera neck strap for a sling strap. The difference that made to my neck was stark, even though there was a slight extra load on one shoulder (but nowhere near the discomfort the messenger bag was creating). My camera was also readily at hand when I wanted to bring it up to my eye for composing and shooting. I can also still use my messenger bag to carry several lighter lenses, but on the other shoulder, to provide a more even distribution of weight. I rarely take a tripod with me when I’m planning a walk of any duration, but when I do, I’ll strap it to my backpack.

So, my advice is that you shouldn’t necessarily fear the weight of the K-1, but think carefully about which lenses you carry, and how you carry them. Of course, that could apply to any combination of camera and lenses, too.
02-04-2021, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
How you carry weight is a significant factor in your ability to carry it, including how long you can carry it without fatigue or local pain.

Personally, I’m 72 with a scoliosis and a couple of herniated discs, so I’m acutely aware of my limited ability to carry my camera gear for sustained periods. I did notice the increased weight of the K-1 over its APS-C predecessors, especially when I carried larger lenses like the FA*80-200/2.8, the FA*28-70 and the DFA*50/1.4.

The first thing I did was to discard my messenger bag in favour of a combined backpack/roll-on to carry the heavier lenses on a walking trip. The more even weight distribution of the backpack meant that I wasn’t loading my spine eccentrically, plus it was easier to transport my gear around airports and the like when I travelled abroad.

The second thing was to change my camera neck strap for a sling strap. The difference that made to my neck was stark, even though there was a slight extra load on one shoulder (but nowhere near the discomfort the messenger bag was creating). My camera was also readily at hand when I wanted to bring it up to my eye for composing and shooting. I can also still use my messenger bag to carry several lighter lenses. I rarely take a tripod with me when I’m planning a walk of any duration, but when I do, I’ll strap it to my backpack.

So, my advice is that you shouldn’t necessarily fear the weight of the K-1, but think carefully about which lenses you carry, and how you carry them. Of course, that could apply to any combination of camera and lenses, too.
Good advice. Good advice if you don't have any problems (yet) too.

I'm lucky not to suffer in this way and I do carry a tripod separately plus camera rucksack. I will notice if I ever let either camera or tripod move too much away from my core when walking, as the effective weight (torque) of camera/lens or tripod can cause problems.
02-04-2021, 02:29 PM - 3 Likes   #15
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
some of us might disagree that the full frame sensor K 1 and K 1 II are " the only digital choice for a pentax shooter "
To be fair, Allen, what the OP said was "I would like to go full frame, but ......the K1 is quite big and heavy and it is the only digital choice for a pentax shooter" - meaning clearly that the K-1 series is the only Pentax FF digital option. The OP is undoubtedly aware of the many APS-C alternatives - indeed, has a K-70.

My question would be the one I ask myself. What would I get from a K-1, in exchange for extra weight and bulk (and less effective reach for telephoto, and the need to buy extra lenses), that I could not get from my KP or from a K-3iii? Dynamic range, for sure. Effectively more DOF options. Using the full coverage of my FA/DFA lenses. Do these things matter enough? How often would it really make a difference? I don't kid myself that the gear is really holding me back. I am a hobbyist. I'm not shooting for publication or wall-size prints. I don't care about wafer-thin DOF. Most of my shots are telephoto. The KP is more than adequate for me for low light. My DA lenses in the wide range are good enough, and if I want more I could get the DA*11-18 (which is cheaper and lighter than the DFA 15-30). I can't make it add up, for me.

As has been said, however, everyone is different.