Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2021, 07:38 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK...I did some forensics using my K-3 and there is some clarity, at least in regards to Lightroom. Here is what I learned:
  • If WB+/- adjustments were made to the K2 value I set, they do affect the WB applied by Lightroom
  • Even if K is entered manually, Lightroom displays its own notion of what the color temperature and tint are.
  • The color temperature displayed depends on the import (camera) profile used.
  • I have multiple profiles defined and for DNG, the closest match (+50 K) was to be had by using the embedded profile. Adobe Standard was 600 K higher than the value I put in.
This exercise reinforced suspicions I have held for some time, that being Lightroom and many other tools we use for RAW processing redistribute, bias, and augment capture data to improve editing performance and image malleability. Strange as it may seem, a zero edit PEF/DNG viewed in LR is far from a minimally changed view into the capture data.

Steve

(...say, duh? )

02-23-2021, 07:59 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Was the k1 in cropmode? I wonder if what the sensor is seeing has any influence. Also wondering how the results changed from first test to second test. I would want to see each camera tested at least 3 times to see how consistent the results are. Then 3 more with slight camera repositioning to make sure it isn't some weird reflections or bounce.
02-24-2021, 01:01 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't use K-3, still I have a K-S2 that uses APS-C sensor that has a bit, just a bit, warmer rendition when used with same lenses that I use on my K-1II in RAW files, I do prefer to use .DNG if that matter. If you use color checker, then profiling that Body+Lens combo and applying changes, should give you accurate and uniformed results between both- It does with my units. I think that problem is within using only white balance patch, not the whole patern, main goal of using color checker is to correct every embedded profile flaw that can occur not only within white balance but also hue and vibrancy that can be depicted differently with same lens different DSLR combo.
Another ingredient that might be a cause here is flash that you use- years ago I had one Metz "hammer" flashgun, that for first approx. 10 flash released gave me much stronger and colder light that I would usually set, it seemed that it was problem with faulty and overcharging capacitor.
02-24-2021, 02:41 AM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
I just wake up... just sleep couple hours after a long night with cameras.

I confirm the K1ii use DNG will got accurate WB K number then PEF, no more 6xxxK crazy WB when load in lightroom.

I now switch K20D K3 K1ii is to DNG for DNG profile without much side effect (maybe a bit slow rendering after load) ... but K10d if doing same it result 7200K WB in light room

What I believe the software developer and camera mfg don't do their best for our camera yet!

I have using PEF and DNG profile for over 10 years without any problem... until I got the K1ii... maybe pentax's raw have something new in it but lightroom never notice.

---------- Post added 02-24-2021 at 06:06 PM ----------

Thanks for all guys and some mentioned using dng... I do believe the pef and dng will have same data but just with different container... But my test not show this is correct...

Last edited by mactrash; 02-24-2021 at 03:20 AM.
02-24-2021, 11:59 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mactrash Quote
Thanks for all guys and some mentioned using dng... I do believe the pef and dng will have same data but just with different container... But my test not show this is correct...
Blame Lightroom and the import profile.

FWIW...you should probably not expect identical color balance from different camera models, even within-brand and with identical manual color temperature settings.

Steve
02-24-2021, 01:46 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for summarizing your finding/resolution. Between K-5, K-1 and KP, DNGs have been reasonably consistent for me with respect to flash color temperature.