Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2021, 05:27 PM   #16
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OldChE Quote
Thanks for your comment. On the B&H site, the silver limited edition body with the grip included is right now $2099 (with no sales or discounted noted), whereas I could get the black body for $1797 (there is a note that this is after instant savings of $200) and the grip for $147 (noted as instant savings of $100), for a total of $1944. So silver limited edition would cost $155 more, grip included, than if I got the black body and grip separately. I believe this is because of those special discounts on the black body and grip.

Richard.

---------- Post added 02-27-21 at 06:23 PM ----------

Thanks for your comments. Yes, of course only I can decide, but I'm just looking to learn of the experience of others who actually have and use the camera and grip. You are right, I should just get it and then I can always return it (or sell it if return is not possible) if I don't like it.
I have the grip but I never use it. (My hands are medium sized.) The grip makes the camera even heavier than it already is. Maybe fine in a studio but not when using the camera outdoors.

04-18-2021, 03:28 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I have the grip for my K-1 and I only use it when I need that second batter for a long timelapse.

The normal battery lasts a long time. Even at night where I do the majority of my shooting.

So it really depends on what you are going to shoot. Personally it does not enhance the feel of the camera. I hold if fine.
04-18-2021, 05:13 PM   #18
FJC

Photos: Gallery
Second battery in the bag and a quick replacement when it's over is the best IMHO. The extra weight of a grip isn't a good idea for me.
04-18-2021, 05:20 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Iíve had grips on most of my cameras mainly because I prefer the ergonomics. Iíve never needed the extra battery but always glad to have it because one never knows...

JJ

Attached Images

04-18-2021, 06:59 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
IMO, if you shoot a lot in vertical rather than horizontal mode, the grip is fantastic. But if the vast majority of your images are horizontal, it is not worth the weight, bulk or purchase price.
04-20-2021, 02:37 AM   #21
FJC

QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
Iíve had grips on most of my cameras mainly because I prefer the ergonomics. Iíve never needed the extra battery but always glad to have it because one never knows...

JJ
I understand the ergonomics are a strong point for a grip, but if you hold your camera for hours, let's say in a wedding day, or if you go hiking, the extra weight is a burden (for me). I understand it is a good idea for a portrait photoshoot, for example.
04-21-2021, 03:50 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FJC Quote
I understand the ergonomics are a strong point for a grip, but if you hold your camera for hours, let's say in a wedding day, or if you go hiking, the extra weight is a burden (for me). I understand it is a good idea for a portrait photoshoot, for example.
I could see the ergonomics argument, but only if you shoot portrait a lot and want to hold it that way. If you shooing landscape, I think the K-1 by itself has awesome ergonomics.
04-21-2021, 08:50 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SirTomster Quote
I could see the ergonomics argument, but only if you shoot portrait a lot and want to hold it that way. If you shooing landscape, I think the K-1 by itself has awesome ergonomics.
Now that I've been using the camera and grip for a few weeks, I agree. The K-1 body itself has excellent ergonomics (as does my K-70). If I take the camera for an outing I am unlikely to bring the grip. Around the house I've been trying to use the grip to get some experience with it, but even for casual shooting in the home environment I'd probably opt for not using it. I can see if I was doing a more formal shooting event, such as a professional might do for a portrait shoot or a wedding, the advantages of the grip (ease of use for portrait orientation, extra battery capacity) may outweigh the disadvantages of size and weight. Even for an amateur such as myself, if I were to shoot a family event or a family photo session, and was not out hiking to do so (where weight was more of an issue), the added convenience of the grip's controls for portrait orientation could be a plus. I'm still undecided on whether I'll keep it longer term, but it is too early to tell. At least I have the opportunity to try it and to really know from first hand experience, rather than to always wonder if I should have gotten the grip with the camera.