Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2021, 06:35 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

A friend of mine is a life long Nikon user. He will never switch simply because of the money he has already invested into his systems over the past 45 years and Nikon puts out good stuff. When he picked up my K1 he was blown away by how the camera seemed to melt into his hand. He was extremely impressed by both the ergonomics and the images it produces. Like me, he is old enough to remember when Pentax was considered a "Tier 1" camera system.

I think that holding onto the screw mount system as long as they did, hurt Pentax pretty hard. If you went into a camera store in 1970 the screw mount as always listed as a negative thing, and for good reason. The camera and lenses themselves were highly thought of. If Pentax had brought out the K mount three or four years earlier they would probably be in a better position than they are now. The photographers who switched to systems where swapping lenses was faster and easier were not going to switch back. While Nikon was always a top tier camera the delay allowed other brands room to stake their claims.

Today, there are a lot of products being touted across the internet on various YouTube channels. A lot of these are paid endorsements and if you purchase the product using the link provided, they are probably getting a commission too. Some reviewers are up front about this, but many are not.

03-01-2021, 07:15 AM   #17

The K-1 itself, unlike the D850, feels like an extension of the hand. However with a lens attached to both bodies the integral handling feeling will probably depend on the lens... Nikon's 24-70 may feel more cumbersome but attached to a D850 body the combination feels surprisingly harmonious in the hands. Maybe even more so than the K-1 with its 24-70 (but far less than the K-1 + 28-105 for that matter).
I've seen a review where the reviewer had to part with Sigma 24-70 Art because it wasn't the right form-factor for them, while Nikon's native 24-70 was (both versions were in fact). Must be that a bulkier or heavier body handles better with a longer lens.
03-01-2021, 07:19 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alvage Quote
I've seen a review where the reviewer had to part with Sigma 24-70 Art because it wasn't the right form-factor for them, while Nikon's native 24-70 was (both versions were in fact). Must be that a bulkier or heavier body handles better with a longer lens.
That's review of the reviewer's personal preferences, not a review of the equipement .The bulkier handles better is pure nonsense. A reviewer who only writes for people with the exact same ergonomic preferences as himself is simply a fraud, selling personal opinions instead of reviewing cameras.

Last edited by normhead; 03-01-2021 at 07:37 AM.
03-01-2021, 07:27 AM   #19

Sure nuff, there ain't two exactly same pair of hands.))) Still, cannot stop the bulkier and heavier from handling better sometimes... Sony A7x vs Pentax K-1 is just one example.

03-01-2021, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Slightly tangentially, what one has to accept also (which took me a while to get over) is that putting 'built like a tank' as a pro and 'heavy' as a con isn't a contradiction even though the one is largely a consequence of the other - if you don't need your camera to be built like a tank, then 'heavy' is a price you might rather not pay.
03-01-2021, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Today, there are a lot of products being touted across the internet on various YouTube channels. A lot of these are paid endorsements and if you purchase the product using the link provided, they are probably getting a commission too.
If I could afford to change systems as frequently as some YouTubers do, I'd be a happy man
03-01-2021, 08:27 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
DPR's huge, glaring fault is that the reviews are not subjected to a final editorial review by a disinterested group of "peer" reviewers, which they could easily compile from volunteers at the site, just as they have moderators of the individual forums. These sorts of sauce for the goose, sauce for the gander errors would be wiped out instantly.

Pentax is not the only one that has suffered over the years. I know for a fact both Oly and Sony (early on) have had the same sort of issues in the reviews, Oly going back to Phil Askey and the infamous "solution looking for a problem" comment he made about Oly's innovation of live view. So, the the blindness is baked into their dna.
Well said. May be they should refer to Pentax by "a real camera looking for real photographers!"

---------- Post added 03-01-21 at 07:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by OldChE Quote
Pentax K-1 reputation for "bulky and heavy" - is it deserved vs. competing cameras?
My K1 feels bulky in a nice way! The "bulkyness" is reassuring. It is no bulkier than similar DSLR bodies in the same class. Try a Canon EOS 1-DX or Nikon D6 then Pentax K1 becomes a mid-size or compact DSLR!

03-01-2021, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alvage Quote
The K-1 itself, unlike the D850, feels like an extension of the hand. However with a lens attached to both bodies the integral handling feeling will probably depend on the lens... Nikon's 24-70 may feel more cumbersome but attached to a D850 body the combination feels surprisingly harmonious in the hands. Maybe even more so than the K-1 with its 24-70 (but far less than the K-1 + 28-105 for that matter).
I've handled the K-7 with a ~1kg tele, I've handled the K-1 with a ~1kg tele. The K-1 is more stable, although that might also be partly because I got better at holding the camera with time.
03-01-2021, 09:23 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Roadboat24 Quote
That is ONE of the reasons I choose Pentax, Doesn't feel like a damn plastic toy.
+1 on that. Before the K-1 I had a Canon FF body in my shopping cart at Costco. But after handling it again and again at the store I put it back because it felt like a plastic toy compared to the K-3 I had then.

I don't read much in the way of reviews so I cannot help with that. The K-1 is 'dense' to be sure, but it feels solid, well built and professional. I shoot with the K-3II and K-1II and despite the K-1II technically weighing more I can use the K-1II much longer than the K-3II because the grip fits so well. My wrist tires faster with the K-3II because (for my hand) the grip is not quite tall enough. I can run and gun with the K-1II for hours.

As to how "bulky and heavy" it is? Well Pentax says its a "field camera" so bulky and heavy on top of a tripod doesn't matter IMHO.
03-01-2021, 10:39 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I think the opinions on size and weight are a product of the context and time frame in which the review is written.

The original K-1 (2016) was not described as being "bulky and heavy" by DPR. The K-1 II (2018) is.
The Nikon D850 (2017) is not. The D500 (2016) is described as "big, heavy" probably because it is APS-C.
The Canon 1D X Mk III (2020) is described as "big and heavy".
The Olympus OM-D E-M1x (2019) is described as "...almost comically large given the sensor size".

So no, I don't think there is any particular Pentax-specific bias from DPR in that regard.
This ^ ^ ^

The sensitivity of Pentax fans to off-comments by reviewers is legendary.

Steve
03-01-2021, 11:04 AM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don’t get it when someone refers to weight parameters without considering the lenses used. A camera body doesn’t come on its own. Any heavy (I’ll agree with the scale mentioned above, so assuming >1kg) body will handle light and heavier lenses very well, balanced in the hands, with the right grip. A lighter body would not. In addition to that, I wouldn’t mind carrying some 200gr more in my backpack, even when hiking, because I know that I would have to, when I should buy into FF. Fast digital, all-around zooms are usually heavier, so heavy body is a good thing.
I’ve tried pro bodies so bulky that I would hardly ever consider taking on a hike or any other outdoor photography trip. Bulky is not good. I have relatively big hands and I still think some canonikons should come in a kit with a tripod.
03-01-2021, 11:41 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does this really matter? Do you need someone else’s endorsement on a website for your camera to be any good? My K-7 is a lot heavier than my SIL’s dslr and she doesn’t like it for that. I don’t like the feel of her mostly plastic camera but I know she wouldn’t be parted from it. Neither of us is right or wrong, but it’s the images that count: she gets photos that please her, I get photos that please me.

None of the gear websites make images for me, so they don’t matter to me. If you prefer playing Top Trumps with camera gear then perhaps it’s not photography you’re into....
03-01-2021, 12:14 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VSTAR Quote
If you are referring to reviews at say...DPreview...then remembe this is the site that one year compared different FF cameras and left out the K1. Why? It was not expensive enough. And no I did not make that up.
Really? What was the logic for that?

---------- Post added 03-01-21 at 01:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Does this really matter? Do you need someone else’s endorsement on a website for your camera to be any good? My K-7 is a lot heavier than my SIL’s dslr and she doesn’t like it for that. I don’t like the feel of her mostly plastic camera but I know she wouldn’t be parted from it. Neither of us is right or wrong, but it’s the images that count: she gets photos that please her, I get photos that please me.

None of the gear websites make images for me, so they don’t matter to me. If you prefer playing Top Trumps with camera gear then perhaps it’s not photography you’re into....
I guess we differ on this point. I like reading camera reviews when I'm considering buying a new camera. I think it is useful for learning about the features of the camera, and some comparisons to other cameras on the market, or to previous models from that manufacturer, are helpful, as long as you recognize there may be some personal biases (or obligations to advertisers) that may affect what they say.
03-01-2021, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's total weight that matters. Don't forget about the bag you put it in:
Vanguard ALTA SKY 51D Pro Camera: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo
This puppy is 2.9Kg, dwarfing most kits.
03-01-2021, 03:11 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
It's total weight that matters. Don't forget about the bag you put it in:
Vanguard ALTA SKY 51D Pro Camera: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo
This puppy is 2.9Kg, dwarfing most kits.
That looks like a nice bag, thanks. The kit I ordered will come with a camera bag, I'll see how that works out. It might fit in my largest Tamrac bag, but certainly not in the little backpack I use for my Sony A6000 kit. However, I know it will fit in the Lowepro ProTactic BP 450 AW II backpack I use for my 645N with its 6 lenses and AF360FGZ flash. There is room to spare in there, so it would certainly hold a K-1 with a few 35mm format lenses.