Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2021, 09:34 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
software on K-1 CD

I bought a used K-1 but the seller did not send the CD. I am interested in IT2 (Image Transmitter 2). Looks like the Pentax site only offers updates, not the base software.
Is there a download location for this? Or do I need to buy a copy of somebody's CD?

Never been a fan of SilkyPix, but other than IT2, what else is on the CD?

03-13-2021, 11:42 AM   #2

Image Transmitter 2 must be purchased separately but is no longer available at the usually Pentax dealers (Adorama or B&H). The only software that comes on the disc with Ricoh Pentax cameras is Digital Camera Utility.

Try eBay or a search engine on the Internet. About 3 websites turn up with the disk in stock - 3 available on all three. Probably all the same company behind the web stores.
03-13-2021, 12:45 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Never been a fan of SilkyPix
You could check out the software from Silkypix themselves. Totally different from what gets sent out on the Pentax CDs and IMO one of the best raw converters around.
03-13-2021, 01:24 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Image Transmitter 2 must be purchased separately but is no longer available at the usually Pentax dealers (Adorama or B&H). The only software that comes on the disc with Ricoh Pentax cameras is Digital Camera Utility.

Try eBay or a search engine on the Internet. About 3 websites turn up with the disk in stock - 3 available on all three. Probably all the same company behind the web stores.
I thought I was immune from price shock surrounding Pentax parts but WHOA! almost US$200.00 ???? I guess I don't want to remote control my K-1 from a laptop THAT badly.

The last time we managed to assemble our adult children & their families in the same spot at the same time I had no one available to take a family portrait. I setup studio lighting in front of the fireplace along with a largish mirror above/behind the camera. I hid a wired remote shutter release into the arrangement and took my shots from the mirror image. It would have been much simpler to do with a laptop and a wireless mouse with an image preview in between the live view image.

03-13-2021, 01:58 PM   #5

Check out the home grown solutions. Ricoh probably discontinued Image Transmitter 2 because they released SDKs for tethering.

Introducing Pentax Wi-Fi & USB Tether by PentaxForums.com - PentaxForums.com
03-13-2021, 02:01 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You might try image sync which allows your phone to wifi with the K1. There's also some other programs written by helpful people on the forum which will work on a laptop. I just can't seem to remember where to find them.
Looks like I type too slow 😊
03-13-2021, 03:08 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote

The fact that (a) the software was never offered as a download and (b) now appears to be sold out is quite puzzling. Perhaps there are plans to make the software free for everyone (as it should)?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-17-2021, 11:38 AM   #8

Sad. I they don't develop or sell it anymore it should be available for free. Maybe /a will help.
04-16-2021, 07:14 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An alternative that I got over a couple of years back is WiFi Commander for Pentax which I successfully used with my K-1. I had an early version (1.03) and it worked pretty satisfactorily for my applications. It's still available I believe and has evolved since then (now version 1.6.0) - something you might want to explore.

I have no connection to the offering entity other than using the early version, but came across your post and just thought I'd throw this option your way in case it would help.

Wifi Commander for Pentax - wireless remote control for your Pentax camera

Last edited by Bob 256; 04-16-2021 at 07:24 PM.
04-17-2021, 07:15 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
An alternative that I got over a couple of years back is WiFi Commander for Pentax which I successfully used with my K-1. I had an early version (1.03) and it worked pretty satisfactorily for my applications. It's still available I believe and has evolved since then (now version 1.6.0) - something you might want to explore.

I have no connection to the offering entity other than using the early version, but came across your post and just thought I'd throw this option your way in case it would help.

Wifi Commander for Pentax - wireless remote control for your Pentax camera
Thanks! I'll give it a try. By the brief site description, this looks like exactly what I want for selfie family portraits. Place a monitor immediately above or below the lens with a live view to check poses. Might work well for wildlife too where a human presence makes it difficult.
04-17-2021, 07:29 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
it looks like there is no Mac version
04-17-2021, 07:48 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Thanks! I'll give it a try. By the brief site description, this looks like exactly what I want for selfie family portraits. Place a monitor immediately above or below the lens with a live view to check poses. Might work well for wildlife too where a human presence makes it difficult.
It does work well for wildlife though you need a means for better power for your camera than its own battery for long-term. In Liveview, you see what the lens sees on your computer and can selectively focus using your mouse. For selfies, you can clearly see what the camera sees on your computer or laptop although its not in full HD resolution (I think it's the same as the camera viewfinder resolution). Downloads are a bit slow, but at least you can download directly from the camera without wired connections and the developer continues to work on such issues.

Unfortunately, this is only available for Windows users at present.

You might consider a donation to the developer (I provided one when I started using this app) as I thought this was worth the price of a small donation for its usefulness with my K-1, plus it provides some incentive for the developer to improve the app over time.

Last edited by Bob 256; 04-17-2021 at 07:58 AM.
04-17-2021, 10:33 PM   #13

Interesting question from legal point of view: If Pentax provides Image Transmitter 2 update, which actually is full program and you can extract it with particular built-in switch (which is described in InstallShield documentation), is it then legal to use it that way (since they don't sell it anymore anyway)? Probably not, but since Pentax won't care, should we?