Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-17-2021, 07:05 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Camera strap attachment points

My searches have turned up empty.

My Question is,

What are the camera strap attachment points (Lugs) attached to?

Are they pressed into a plastic case?

Are they part of the metal frame?

Or what?

03-17-2021, 07:07 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I looked years ago if I remember correctly they all fix into the mag alloy shell. The plastic top cover cuts away around the lugs.
03-17-2021, 07:42 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I looked years ago if I remember correctly they all fix into the mag alloy shell.
Correct, the strap lugs are attached to the magnesium alloy cover panels and secured by nuts on the backside. The attached photo shows a detail of the lug on the grip side of the camera (sorry the zoomed crop is not the best quality).
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
03-17-2021, 11:44 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Roadboat24 Quote
My Question is,

What are the camera strap attachment points (Lugs) attached to?
Another matter to consider might be the strength of the lug's stud.*

May we ask the reason for concern?

Steve

* I managed to shear both strap lugs off a Ricoh film SLR in the mid-1970s in fall while skiing. The studs took the punishment and broke off cleanly, leaving the camera/lens unscathed and lying in the snow upslope. Much better that than a fracture of the die-cast chassis.

03-17-2021, 12:06 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks. I sometimes carry with a standard camera type strap and 70-200 lens attached. Some film cameras I know just had the lugs pressed into the plastic body. Glad these are not the case. I use the lenses tripod mount to carry also but sometimes I need both hands. Just wanted to be sure I could trust the lugs.
03-17-2021, 12:28 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
shoulder strap wit quick release plate

QuoteOriginally posted by Roadboat24 Quote
I sometimes carry with a standard camera type strap and 70-200 lens attached
I use the lenses tripod mount to carry also but sometimes I need both hands. Just wanted to be sure I could trust the lugs.
The reason telephoto lenses mostly have an tripod collar ist to take force from the bajonett mount. So carrying the weight of D FA* 70-200 with K-1 on the camera isn't inside the construction purpose.
When you need both hands, it's a solution to mount the tripod collar of the lens to an shoulder strap:
How to Add a Quick Release Strap to a Camera with Arca Swiss Plates

Most known brands are Blackrapid (USA) and Sunsniper (Germany):
BlackRapid Sport X Coyote Camera Sling - BLACKRAPID
SUN-SNIPER Germany ? Next generation of camera straps for professional photographers - SUN-SNIPER Englisch
SUN-SNIPER Shop

Quick release holders are also easily available:
https://www.berlebach.de/en/?bereich=details&id=402

Or check out the Berlebach Speedy carrying coupling:
SPEEDY - The carrying coupling with shoulder strap from Berlebach ® Tripods

Last edited by angerdan; 03-17-2021 at 12:36 PM.
03-17-2021, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There is a detailed image of the K-1's magnesium body in the Forum K-1 review, which clearly shows how the lug mounts integrate into the body of the camera;
about half way down here:
Pentax K-1 Review - Build Quality | PentaxForums.com Reviews

04-11-2021, 04:32 PM   #8
Unregistered User

I carry the K-1 with DFA*70-200 or DFA150-450 in the original strap all the time since 2016. No problems yet...
04-12-2021, 12:43 AM   #9
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
If you go skiing with your K-1 I recommend the Peak design Capture camera clip to fix the camera onto a belt or the strap of a backpack. It is really convenient and the camera is always ready. No need to worry about he lugs.

04-21-2021, 03:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I have a Black Rapid strap clone I got on Amazon.

So much better than some neck strap.

Much easier to carry since the strap goes over one of my shoulders and the camera is balanced on the other side.

Something like this: amazon.com : Ocim Camera Strap, Camera Sling Strap with Safety Tether, Adjustable and Comfortable Neck/Shoulder Belt for DSLR/SLR Camera (Nikon, Canon, Sony) Universal Belt Women/Men : Electronics?tag=pentaxforums-20&