Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2021, 06:08 AM - 5 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Desert Bighorns

Found these Bighorn rams in Valley of Fire State Park, NV while looking for a campsite. They were about 30-40 feet away. They posed while feeding and climbing nearby boulders. I’ll probably never encounter them again with a better background.
My DA*200 f2.8 was on my K-1.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
04-08-2021, 07:57 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, fantastic captures! Well done.
04-08-2021, 08:17 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
Cool! They posed so well that the scenes look like museum dioramas.

White balance looks a little too magenta, at least in my monitor. Otherwise, nice shots!.
04-08-2021, 12:29 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thx ToddK. CarlosU, that was my thought exactly. They were in deep shade so you’re probably right-back to the D mode in LR.

04-08-2021, 07:00 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Desert Bighorns

Reposting after removing magenta cast. This is a good example of why you can’t rely on the camera white balance/tint as shown in post to always be correct. The rams were in deep shade with too much blue sky bouncing around. Increasing the color temperature or moving the tint slider toward green removes the excessive magenta. Its all too easy to be so happy with your special shots that you lose your objectivity.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
04-09-2021, 06:35 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Still Magenta.....

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 04-09-2021 at 06:46 AM.
04-12-2021, 02:02 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If it is a sunny day with a blue sky and red rocks, the prevailing color will actually have a magenta tint to it. Out eyes auto compensate, in their insatiable quest for white, Film or sensors tend to see the colors that are there.

I think 1 & 2 should look pretty good in B&W too.

04-12-2021, 05:50 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thx for your comments. There’s always something to learn in photography. I actually like the original capture from an “artistic” point of view. I thought the magenta tint to the rams’ coat was too much from an accurate, natural look. I can recreate the artistic look in Lightroom if I want.

I just looked at the B&W version on my iPad & they DO look good.
04-12-2021, 06:00 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by Buckeyemikie Quote
Thx for your comments. There’s always something to learn in photography. I actually like the original capture from an “artistic” point of view. I thought the magenta tint to the rams’ coat was too much from an accurate, natural look. I can recreate the artistic look in Lightroom if I want.

I just looked at the B&W version on my iPad & they DO look good.
By any chance are you saving your jpgs coming out of Lightroom using the Adobe color space? If so, I politely suggest you save using the sRGB color space which is what is used on the web. Otherwise there will be a color shift when you post images.
04-12-2021, 06:16 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thx for commenting. I should back up & explain my routine when shooting w/ my K-1 when I travel & don’t want to lug a laptop along. I set it to record raw on the first card & jpegs on he second card. Then I download the jpegs to my iPad while on the trip and develop them in Photos. I believe my original post was from those jpegs. When I return home I post process the raws in Lightroom. Furthermore, I did have the K-1 set to AdobeSRG BY MISTAKE. So I think, thanks to PF, I now understand all the reasons for the magenta cast!!