Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-17-2021, 10:24 AM   #1

pentax k-1 calibration

Hi guys k-1 driving me mad Ive got a fair few lenses so have started to test them and a lot of them have either front focus or back focus problems anyway today i tried my Zeiss 25mm f2.8 Pentax version of the lens and noticed it front focused so i got my chart up and when i held the AF button to get green hexagon to light up on the chart it was out of focus but when i moved the focus ring to wear my eyes thought it was sharp it was sharp
Do you think this could be a camera calibration problems
When the green hexagon was still it to my eyes it still wasn’t in focus more blurry a slight move of the focus ring and it was sharp

allso this was on a tripod via the view finder not live view so it was steady

04-17-2021, 12:00 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A quick check is to use Liveview and the magnifier to get critical focus and then switch to viewfinder focus and see if you get the focus indication or how far you have to refocus before it triggers. Liveview doesn't lie and will get you spot-on the correct focus point so you have something to compare the VF focus to.
04-17-2021, 12:02 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by andy271 Quote
Do you think this could be a camera calibration problems
Yes. Your sensor is misaligned to the AF sensor. Do a calibration using the APPLY ALL menu
04-17-2021, 12:12 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Manually focusing through the view finder is affected by the diopter setting. So even if it is focus it might look bad in the viewfinder if the diopter is off. Focus using Liveview and then switch to the viewfinder and adjust the diopter to match. Then worry about the green hexagon which is controlled by the AF sensor. If you have front or back auto focus compared to Liveview you can do an auto focus fine tune to adjust for each lens.

Also note that the green hexagon is not a 100% certain method of observing correct manual focus. It is a good assist but on really fast lenses it will show in focus for a broader range than is actually correct.

04-17-2021, 01:02 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I think that the only thing that is wrong is the diopter setting. If I were you I should start with that. And do not test lenses, just take pictures with them, after all, that is what they where made for. With a new camera the first thing I do after setting date and time (which I am obliged to do) is adjusting the diopter, you might not think it, but it is actually the most important part of the camera when using a viewfinder: If the setting is wrong you will get out of focus pictures because you will correct the diopter setting by using manual focusing to get it sharp in the viewfinder (as you did by the way).
04-17-2021, 01:20 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
I think that the only thing that is wrong is the diopter setting. If I were you I should start with that. And do not test lenses, just take pictures with them, after all, that is what they where made for. With a new camera the first thing I do after setting date and time (which I am obliged to do) is adjusting the diopter, you might not think it, but it is actually the most important part of the camera when using a viewfinder: If the setting is wrong you will get out of focus pictures because you will correct the diopter setting by using manual focusing to get it sharp in the viewfinder (as you did by the way).
While the issue may not be the diopter setting, I fully agree it is the place to start. You don't even need a lens for that . All you need to do is light up the in-viewfinder display and make it as sharp as possible. That setting corresponds to viewing at infinity.

A couple notes to go with that. Prior to corrective surgery (Lasix) I wore progressive lens glasses. It is really, really easy to use the wrong part of of the lens with progressive lens glasses with an an optical viewfinder. I used to do it all the time. Now I have the opposite problem. I use the optical finder without glasses, but if I want to look at fine details on the digital panel, I need reading glasses.

The next note is if after adjusting the diopter, Live View and optical view don't match for focus, odds are high that your matte screen in the optical viewfinder is out of adjustment. Not likely, but the K-1 does have an interchangeable matte screen, so possible.
04-17-2021, 01:31 PM   #7

Original Poster
Hi guys i worked it out i decided to give the debug mode a try Pentaxk-1 1.53 firmware and when i changed the um settings the focus went crazy but the good news is i have changed some of them to different um settings and they focus better now than they ever did pin point accurate im finding my way around the debug im just hoping i can save each fine tune adjustment for each lens
the difference the debug setting for fine tuning lenses is incrediable ill do further tests tommorow in good light

04-17-2021, 03:00 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Hi guys i worked it out i decided to give the debug mode a try Pentaxk-1 1.53 firmware and when i changed the um settings the focus went crazy but the good news is i have changed some of them to different um settings and they focus better now than they ever did pin point accurate im finding my way around the debug im just hoping i can save each fine tune adjustment for each lens
the difference the debug setting for fine tuning lenses is incrediable ill do further tests tommorow in good light
Andy271 after reading this post I think that you are driving the K-1 mad instead of the other way around.
04-17-2021, 03:07 PM   #9

Original Poster
lol yes it wont be happy with me thats for sure a question if i decide to send the camera for calibration will all my lenses revert back to 0 or is it more complicated than that
04-17-2021, 05:09 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

lol yes it wont be happy with me thats for sure a question if i decide to send the camera for calibration will all my lenses revert back to 0 or is it more complicated than that
The camera can only be set to "0" for one lens. The rest will fall where they fall.

Why did you need to try the debug menu ?
04-17-2021, 05:52 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
I agree.
04-18-2021, 03:24 AM   #12

Original Poster
i went into the debug because all my lenses are front focusing never had this problem with my nikon or canon so it has dissapointed me a bit as i love the pentax k-1 and pixel shift its when i am hand holding i do everything correct high shutter speed steady hand Sr ON .but front focus on zeiss pentax ltd lenses really annoying

---------- Post added 04-18-21 at 03:25 AM ----------

when i rang up service in the uk they said just send the camera in and they can recalibrate it
04-18-2021, 05:08 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i went into the debug because all my lenses are front focusing never had this problem with my nikon or canon
You should not need the debug mode for adjusting the lens focus. There is a built in feature for that called auto focus fine tuning that allows you to set the focus for each lens individually, up to 20 lenses.
04-18-2021, 09:22 PM   #14

In summary

So, if I could summarise the problem, If you have a manual focus lens and you focus through the optical viewfinder, it may still be out of focus? Is that the problem? If so, yes that also applies to me with a Samyang 85mm F1.4. I agree the live view is spot on, but hadn't realised you could calibrate a manual lens. Great news if you can!
04-19-2021, 11:05 AM   #15

Original Poster
Yes i have calibrated it its at 130um which is -13
But pentax only allow -10 or +10 nikon and canon
Allow -20 and +20 if pentax allowed this in there
Cameras they would sell more i think..my lenses front
Focus past -10...the difference now is amazing
The zeiss is razer sharp so the debug mode does work