Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
04-21-2021, 03:48 PM   #31
Veteran Member

I bet if it was released any time soon it will be a small update like the Mk II was. Same processor, AF, etc. But with some small changes.

Which would not appeal to me.

But a new sensor, processor, AF engine, etc.. that would appeal. But bet it will take a few years. With the K-3 MK3 now out of development, the team can work on the next camera. But it might not be a K-1 successor, but a K-70.

04-24-2021, 05:28 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
It feels like image quality for digital photography has in many ways finally surpassed that of film photography. At the same time, film -at least to me- seems more forgiving.

The meter in film cameras is mostly a starting point and as a photographer you look at the scene and tweak the aperture or shutter speed as part of the composition process. ISO, tonality and analog noise was already predetermined by what you film you selected. There were a limited amount of changes you could affect in the darkroom. Fewer still if you shot reversal film.

With digital, and cameras like the K-1 we as photographers seem to be custom designing the parameters built into film on a nearly frame by frame basis. Most of us dislike using that green square on the mode dial and turning total control over to Pentax engineers. What I would like to see are more semi-automation options roughly analogous to 'film type' ... P&S cameras often call them 'scene types'. We can of course do much of this ourselves now and there are times we will need to do that, but I'll bet the Pentax software engineers could do a better job in most cases. This would allow me, the photographer, to use the Info button and wheel to switch to a pre-determined 'film type' and use my creative efforts to better control the exposure and composition. I see this as the happy compromise between AI software and human vision.
04-24-2021, 06:48 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
It feels like image quality for digital photography has in many ways finally surpassed that of film photography.
Based on my experience with 35mm, 120/220, and 4x5 film, digital has already exceeded it, in certain cases by a wide margin. I'm currently using FF cameras and a 645Z, and have used 4/3 and apsc in the past. 35mm was blown out of the water at least 10 years ago, and medium format film in 645 and 6x6 7 years ago, and 6x7 and 6x9 as well if you added in some additional post processing. Today, software advancements have prtty much done the same for 4x5.
QuoteQuote:
At the same time, film -at least to me- seems more forgiving.
Well....your experience is very different from mine. Maybe in certain B+W films, but heavens no in color.
04-24-2021, 10:40 AM   #34
5ks
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by James also Quote
I'm also with you on that.

However I would love more FPS to just confirm this theory.

Stuff the video nonsense. I am buying a stills camera. If I wanted top line video I would have bought a video camera not a K1
Me too, not really needing or using video with my DLSR. For occasional video clips I can do well with my Lumix LX100 or iPhone. Would be different though, if video were my primary hobby. (Would probably have to change to another DSLR brand? )

---------- Post added 04-24-21 at 08:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
The question I would ask you is.......

" Do you take photographs, or do you use camera equipment ?"
This is a good question, one of the best questions to ask oneself.
Could it be even extended: " Do you take photographs, or do you use camera equipment ... or do you just purchase camera equipment?"
I sometimes must remind myself to concentrate on the first.

04-24-2021, 11:16 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 5ks Quote
Could it be even extended: " Do you take photographs, or do you use camera equipment ... or do you just purchase camera equipment?"
I sometimes must remind myself to concentrate on the first.
I agree.

Let me me clear I love camera and lens tech, and it is great when new stuff gets added to create an even more attractive camera. But excluding for the moment the genre of sports/action photography, my old *istDS (6MP) is capable of creating as great a photo as much as the latest K3III.

The latest camera or lens will not turn a poor photographer into a good one. Learning about composition; light;exposure; and being able to visualise what you want to portray before the shot is taken is much more important than the kit you use.
05-06-2021, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #36
Forum Member

Clean HDMI is missing, bigger buffer, AF in video.
05-07-2021, 06:46 AM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

I think the K1 is great as is, and the only thing i can see improving is the following:
the speed of autofocus in liveview.

while at it, i would love it if the liveview option also got eye-autofocus available.

beyond that, think the k1 is perfect as is.

05-07-2021, 08:12 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hadi Quote
I think the K1 is great as is, and the only thing i can see improving is the following:
the speed of autofocus in liveview.

while at it, i would love it if the liveview option also got eye-autofocus available.

beyond that, think the k1 is perfect as is.
I agree
05-07-2021, 11:34 AM   #39

Ricoh, to me, is a strange company as it manages the Pentax name brand. First it was weird how their little updates on the progress of the K3 iii focused on silly hype of a whole shape, the view finder and cosmetics. Where the big three manufacturers are focused on speed, clarity, software and professional developments. But the fact is all companies are into full frame competitive products. Pentax is about 5 years behind the others. But if the K3 iii really has the science and performance, will easily allow Ricoh to update their K1 cameras. They don’t have to redesign the new faster quieter shutter, just make a larger one. The processor can be used from the K3 iii with new firmware and they can use two instead of one just like Nikon has and others. But being the fact that I see Pentax a weird group of people they could all fall asleep for another 5 years and coast while talking nonsense.
05-07-2021, 02:27 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richsphotoworks Quote
Ricoh, to me, is a strange company as it manages the Pentax name brand. First it was weird how their little updates on the progress of the K3 iii focused on silly hype of a whole shape, the view finder and cosmetics. Where the big three manufacturers are focused on speed, clarity, software and professional developments. But the fact is all companies are into full frame competitive products. Pentax is about 5 years behind the others. But if the K3 iii really has the science and performance, will easily allow Ricoh to update their K1 cameras. They don’t have to redesign the new faster quieter shutter, just make a larger one. The processor can be used from the K3 iii with new firmware and they can use two instead of one just like Nikon has and others. But being the fact that I see Pentax a weird group of people they could all fall asleep for another 5 years and coast while talking nonsense.
Odd that you are still in Pentax, then.
05-12-2021, 03:15 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really hope they are able to keep the price of the next K1 reasonable. I think the new 36mp sensor from Sony would be sweet but I expect they would use a higher resolution sensor.
05-12-2021, 07:52 PM   #42

I think the LCD viewfinder with mirrorless is the future. Sure, Pentax pioneered the whole SLR idea. I bought an Asahi Pentax camera with it in 1967 at a camera store in Tokyo. Then it came to the US as the Honeywell Pentax and became the industry model for future SLRs over the next 50+ years. Pentax is a great innovator and also delivers great value despite its leading performance. My point here is that although the through the lens optical view finder was their great innovative contribution years ago, it is time to recognize that superior cameras will be mirrorless. They will be lighter and less complex plus other virtues. The EVF will be more than adequate and will provide additional avenues for innovation such as as image magnification for focusing, etc. I am a bit concerned that Pentax is too stuck in their roots and not recognizing the value of a newer approach.
05-13-2021, 09:44 PM   #43
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the next K-1 will basically be the K-3 III, with 4k video, eye autofocus in the OVF, etc, but with two UHS-II slots, tiltable screen, GPS, etc, because a larger body is expected anyway.

But the release time will be decided by finances, not technical reasons.

To not be a financial liability to the rest of Ricoh, my guess is the little Imaging Division has to manage its cashflow and be very self-reliant. Income has to be earned on current and past products before expenditure happens on a new one.

My guess is that with the Ricoh GR III being launched in 2019, no K-3 replacement at that time or in 2020 was possible even though the K-3 II had already been discontinued.

Good thinking, too. The cost of multiple new products finished off Olympus and unfortunately is smashing Nikon at the moment. Nikon have released so many new mirrorless cameras and lenses in the last couple of years but who's buying them? Their sales are half what they used to be even going back twelve months.

Last edited by clackers; 05-13-2021 at 09:50 PM.
06-21-2021, 05:39 AM   #44
Forum Member

Original Poster
Full Frame K1 iii I reckon will take at least another 3 years.
06-21-2021, 06:03 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SOS7 Quote
Full Frame K1 iii I reckon will take at least another 3 years.
Mmmmm....I think less time. I'll wager it's in the works now. So, I'm thinking 18mos to 2 yrs on the street, teasers next year.