Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2021, 12:58 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
Waiting for a new K1-III is pure masochism.
I'm in the lucky situation, that I'm happy with my K1 and my K3. If I can go to festivals and concerts again, there may be a small need for the K3-iii. The money for that is already set aside. I think this may be possible by the end of the year and I hope that at this time the rumors for he K1-III will start. Therefore there is no masochism - for me

04-19-2021, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
Will you settle for just a caffeinated photographer anti-shake setting
I'll take a double-dosed preworkout setting aka 10-Stop IBIS 😂
04-19-2021, 01:43 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

At the rate I buy new cameras I’m guessing the K1 MK6 will be out or DSLR’S will have gone the way of the dodo. What I currently have works for me, I will pick up a K3iii in a year or two to free up my K5iis for my kids. Most of us transitioned from film to digital and saw a more fast paced update cycle of models in the early days.Now maybe we want more than a color change and megapixel bump which makes it easier for me to wait for a significant update of features to finally purchase. If we are not careful cameras will follow the trend of other technologies and there will be no substance to the equipment just something new to try and grab some cash. Honestly I’ve not used my K1II enough to know what I would want in the next version but it sure is fun waiting and hoping....

JJ
04-19-2021, 04:57 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I am still overall happy with my K1. I guess slightly faster continuous shooting would be nice sometimes, even just 6-7fps. I use mainly center focus and recompose and for the most part af accuracy and speed are not an issue. But I recently got a DA300* and for birds and critters I am interested to see how much the K3III af tracking has improved so I guess that's my 2 things for a new FF. Faster continuous shooting and the new af module. The rest can stay the same for me.

04-20-2021, 12:33 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
Moreover, you don't know in advance if the new version will suit your expectations, so it could be that you have waited two or three years for nothing.
Indeed- that was my thinking. Originally, when the promise of a coming K-new APS-C was assured, I was quite certain it would incorporate the latest BSI sensor technology combined with the Pentax accelerator technology, which would increase higher ISO performance even more. So I thought I might be going for the new APS-C upgrade, then skip the K-1 II and that model being only a couple of years old, have patience and skip to the next eventual FF model which would surely have a similar jump in technology over the K-1 II. Then I'd have cutting edge in both formats to last many years.

However, the K-new, as I began to suspect, turned out to be those types of upgrades but in a K-3 II type design, which fell short of my expectations. So not knowing what the next FF model design might be, and perhaps not even offering some desirable features the K-1 II has, I decided to grab a K-1 II while they are still available new, and at a good price. It has proven to be every bit as expected and then some. I wasn't even sure how often I would employ a FF body compared to my excellent APS-C equipment, as each has its own advantages, and I already had very fine FF lenses. I am delighted with my choice, with which I now have all bases covered, and without spending a fortune.
04-20-2021, 03:22 AM   #21
Veteran Member

You must have a look on the engineering cycle. When there are rumors from a company about a new product, some of the fix points are frozen especially in the HW part. You can't exchange the sensor in the last 5 minutes before deliveríng. The Kati was on the road for four years up to now. Therefore the stable sensor technology from 2017 will be used.

I assume that the sensor Technology for a putative K1-III will be on the Level ob 2020.
04-20-2021, 08:50 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’m guessing 2 years we will start seeing and hearing specs on the K1iii

JJ

04-20-2021, 09:04 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
I’m guessing 2 years we will start seeing and hearing specs on the K1iii

JJ
I think it might be a bit sooner...
04-20-2021, 12:11 PM - 2 Likes   #24
5ks
Pentaxian

At the time I got my first K-5 (year 2012), I soon realized that the camera's performance clearly exceeded my skills as a photographer. Could no more blame the equipment!

Later on, I've upgraded to K-3 and K-1 ... and the gap seems to be only wider.
04-20-2021, 02:21 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 5ks Quote
At the time I got my first K-5 (year 2012), I soon realized that the camera's performance clearly exceeded my skills as a photographer. Could no more blame the equipment!

I’m right there with you lol...

JJ
04-20-2021, 06:15 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I figure I am years from an upgrade unless the Mk 3 costs $10.

Sure there are some items I would like changed to the Mk1 & Mk2, but honestly, not enough for me to spend over $2k to upgrade when the camera is awesome as it is.
04-21-2021, 06:43 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
If you are right it means that a lot of the costs for development of the K-3 are seen as an investment for a new K-FF and will be passed on in the price of that camera. That makes a lot of sense. On the other hand I think that Ricoh will wait and see what happens with the K-3 III. If it is not the success they expected they have the option (mentioned in another thread:https: CEO of Ricoh (the mother ship) talks about the future of PENTAX and GR - PentaxForums.com) to work with a third party (whatever that may mean). So I am of the opinion you will not see a new FF very soon. I expect that if they release another FF it has to be more stunning as the new K-3 III if they want to attract buyers. Ricoh will not, I expect, make a copy of the new K-3 in a K-1 body. I guess it will be farther removed from it and even further apart from the old K-3, when they released the first K-1, was. It would IMNSHO had made more sense to release a new FF first and, just like they did with the KP, put a lot of the new features in a new APS-C. As long as I use Pentax (film era) they always released a full featured camera and then released some stripped down models (that was when Pentax was still Pentax and not a brand name of Hoya or Ricoh). Ricoh did the same when they acquired the Pentax brand. So after releasing a full featured and stunning APS-C a new FF must go steps beyond.
For a K1 ii upgrade all they really need to do is take the new processor and shutter from the K3 iii and fit it in the guts. Then we get more clicks per second, faster processing, 4k video and we keep the ol’ 36mp processor unless they can find a similar high mp “Backside illuminated” one. Of course the firmware would need upgraded.
04-21-2021, 08:02 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a K1 and K1-II. Improvements? A bit faster autofocus. My K1-II is a bit faster than my K1 and it is actually not that bad. I certainly can work around it. Biggest frustration for me is write time. I write RAW to both slots. If the image is writing and I review and delete and image before the camera is finished writing it adds a long delay to the process. I have adapted by waiting for the images to finish saving before I review any of them.

So for me:

- No more shutter shock.
- Better AF
- Faster write times with both slots having the same specs.

So no need for me to hurry. I have a very lonely K3 as I am almost exclusively full frame now but the K3-III is tempting. If the camera performs as well as I think it does it will be hard to resist for some of my shots.

Last edited by gaweidert; 06-23-2021 at 07:51 AM.
04-21-2021, 08:15 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 5ks Quote

I'm also with you on that.

However I would love more FPS to just confirm this theory.

Stuff the video nonsense. I am buying a stills camera. If I wanted top line video I would have bought a video camera not a K1
04-21-2021, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

Besides adding in the new tech from the K3-3 (the new metering w/o using the green button is nice), they should add these four:

- *16-bit Raw
- Bigger buffer (60+ shots)
- Dual UHS-II card slots
- *Options on internally processing & saving the Pixel-shift shots as a single TIFF or DNG file

*would be great for those that digitize their own film negatives