Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2021, 06:47 AM   #1
Forum Member

Hopes For the next full frame camera

The next full frame camera could be a long time coming going by the speed of development of the K3 iii.

04-19-2021, 06:52 AM - 1 Like   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SOS7 Quote
going by the speed of development of the K3 iii.
but I bet the majority of the hard 'development' has been completed in getting the K-3 III up an running.
The development remaining is to get what is completed working in a K-1.
I bet we will see the K-1 III sooner than the huge delay experienced with the K-3 III.
04-19-2021, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

If you are right it means that a lot of the costs for development of the K-3 are seen as an investment for a new K-FF and will be passed on in the price of that camera. That makes a lot of sense. On the other hand I think that Ricoh will wait and see what happens with the K-3 III. If it is not the success they expected they have the option (mentioned in another thread:https: CEO of Ricoh (the mother ship) talks about the future of PENTAX and GR - PentaxForums.com) to work with a third party (whatever that may mean). So I am of the opinion you will not see a new FF very soon. I expect that if they release another FF it has to be more stunning as the new K-3 III if they want to attract buyers. Ricoh will not, I expect, make a copy of the new K-3 in a K-1 body. I guess it will be farther removed from it and even further apart from the old K-3, when they released the first K-1, was. It would IMNSHO had made more sense to release a new FF first and, just like they did with the KP, put a lot of the new features in a new APS-C. As long as I use Pentax (film era) they always released a full featured camera and then released some stripped down models (that was when Pentax was still Pentax and not a brand name of Hoya or Ricoh). Ricoh did the same when they acquired the Pentax brand. So after releasing a full featured and stunning APS-C a new FF must go steps beyond.
04-19-2021, 08:13 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

I'll think they will use the K3-III is also an test-case for the new K1.

There is a new processor an new rgb-ir sensor and a new accellerator unit.

If the Kati is successfull in a technical point of view, will will see rumors of new K1-III.

But it will take some time because they wont sell the the new top aps-c

04-19-2021, 08:14 AM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am holding out for K-cup support...deal breaker.

Steve
04-19-2021, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #6
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I am holding out for K-cup support...deal breaker.

Steve
Will you settle for just a caffeinated photographer anti-shake setting
04-19-2021, 08:25 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

Waiting for a new K1-III is pure masochism. Moreover, you don't know in advance if the new version will suit your expectations, so it could be that you have waited two or three years for nothing. Which leads to utmost frustration and visits to your psychiatrist. Nowadays being a Pentax devotee comes with uninsurable risks.

04-19-2021, 08:35 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
Will you settle for just a caffeinated photographer anti-shake setting
Only if accompanied by clean 4K HDMI out and optional drone attachment points.

Steve
04-19-2021, 08:53 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Take the K-1, speed up the data transfer via wire, improve the contrast focus for better performance, as stevebrot mentioned, provide at least a full HD video output (wire), provide the capability for more full HD video recording options, upgrade the sensor and processing, and there you have it
04-19-2021, 08:56 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
but I bet the majority of the hard 'development' has been completed in getting the K-3 III up an running.
The development remaining is to get what is completed working in a K-1.
I bet we will see the K-1 III sooner than the huge delay experienced with the K-3 III.
i hope so would be nice to have a faster af system
04-19-2021, 09:08 AM   #11
Closed Account

I don't suppose they'll make a full frame the size of the KP will they. Mind you, it would still leave a lens dilemma for me.
04-19-2021, 09:17 AM - 1 Like   #12
Forum Member

I’m honestly pretty happy with my K1ii. I think keeping the screaming wildlife focused features in a crop body makes sense, but some mild improvements in AF and FPS would be welcome certainly. Otherwise, maybe the ergo updates that 3iii got on the top plate and then whatever sensor they can get that improves on the dynamic range and other stats of the existing sensor to eek that little bit better landscape out of it would be awesome! But even if I had to shoot this K1ii for another half decade I’d be fine with that.
04-19-2021, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

There's lots of goodies they could throw into a new K1 now, and I'll wager the delay won't be that bad:
  • A bunch of the tech is transferable from the K3III platform pretty directly
  • surely work has already begun
  • it won't be such a reach this time
  • Corona will calm down a bit after next winter/more vaccinations
  • supply chain issues will have also straightened out
  • also, it's good imo for the K3III to have a bit of the spotlight by itself for a year.
  • consumer spending is slated to come back with a roar.
I'm optimistic---and that's really saying something, because at work everyone thinks I'm Debbie Downer. I always say "Only pessimists can be pleasantly surprised." Nevertheless, I think things look good.
04-19-2021, 12:33 PM   #14

As well as much of the technology of the K3iii, I predict a new K1iii will have slightly more pixels, say 38 to 40 mp, and maybe there will be a 12 megapixel version too for the low light folks. Of course, the viewfinder will be bigger and brighter. I don't expect it to be on sale for at least 18 months.
04-19-2021, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SOS7 Quote
The next full frame camera could be a long time coming going by the speed of development of the K3 iii.
The question I would ask you is.......

" Do you take photographs, or do you use camera equipment ?"